Tattoos in rugby

16 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Why only amongst women?

I didn't say only amongst Women did I.

People like tattoos and might buy it for that reason.

I think a calendar full of chiseled, good looking guys with their shirts off showing off their tats will probably appeal to more women than men. I'm sure some men will buy it for that reason also, but the main audience like it or not would be women.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, iangidds said:

This is about raising the profiles of the players and their sport.

Good point and one that seems to have been passed by in the "discussion" about tattoos and criticism of those who don't appreciate them.  Go for it..

Good for you. Go for it.

Personally, I think they look dreadful and I've never seen 'art' like the Sistine Chapel (human skin is a poor canvas) on anyone. And even my heavily-inked mate says he wouldn't have them done now because "every f*****r has them".

But.... If you like them, you like them. No harm in that!

Not a fan of them myself but I think a calendar would sell well, maybe those with interesting/meaningful stories behind theirs could give a little say, not every month (or player) needs to have a story behind it. Likewise doesn't need to be aimed at just women, no harm in players having their kit on (as it were!) and just showing an arm or leg. 

Tie it in with state of mind with so much from every calendar going to the work they do (does Danny Sculthorpe have a tattoo?) and if we can get every club in SL, Championship and L1, from Wigan to West Wales selling them then it's a small way in which the sport is united. 

One final point, would be good to see players from all the leagues, not just Super League. Ash Robson at York has loads of tattoos, and I'm sure one of them will be in memory of one of his family members who passed away early. 

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Might not quite be Sistine Chapel but have a look at this guys pictures. His name is David Corden, one of the most amazing portrait artist I have ever seen. Came across his work at a tattoo fair a couple of years back. 

https://www.instagram.com/davidcorden/

As a matter of interest,how much would some of these cost.

Obviously a rough guide,but especially interested in the pictures of dogs.

Thanks.

47 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

As a matter of interest,how much would some of these cost.

Obviously a rough guide,but especially interested in the pictures of dogs.

Thanks.

Depends on a lot of factors. 

I think most tattoo artists tend to charge by the hour although when you're booking you can book full days. Also depends on size, whether it's in colour (not necessarily charged more for the colour pigments, just takes longer to do because of factors like the shading), even stuff like location, tattoos by top artists will cost more in London than, say, Manchester or Leeds. 

Top artists are obviously gonna charge more per hour and I will say that will be an average of about £75, although that is a very rough estimate, could easily be more. I've know really decent artists charge about £50 an hour but at the same time, others charging £200 an hour. 

So a well done, detailed half sleeve in colour will probably take about 15-20 hours if not more so you're looking at between £1,000 and £1,500. An individual picture like those dog ones, maybe 10-12 hours or so, I reckon you could get a really good one done for about £700-£800.

I wouldn't even consider it unless you've got a grand in your back pocket. I've spent hundreds on mine. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Depends on a lot of factors. 

I think most tattoo artists tend to charge by the hour although when you're booking you can book full days. Also depends on size, whether it's in colour (not necessarily charged more for the colour pigments, just takes longer to do because of factors like the shading), even stuff like location, tattoos by top artists will cost more in London than, say, Manchester or Leeds. 

Top artists are obviously gonna charge more per hour and I will say that will be an average of about £75, although that is a very rough estimate, could easily be more. I've know really decent artists charge about £50 an hour but at the same time, others charging £200 an hour. 

So a well done, detailed half sleeve in colour will probably take about 15-20 hours if not more so you're looking at between £1,000 and £1,500. An individual picture like those dog ones, maybe 10-12 hours or so, I reckon you could get a really good one done for about £700-£800.

I wouldn't even consider it unless you've got a grand in your back pocket. I've spent hundreds on mine. 

Thanks very much for the info.I've always had doubts about having a tattoo.

I think you have now convinced me not to bother.

Archived