Billy Slater To Retire

Billy Slater has announced he will retire at the end of the season.

He has been with Melbourne Storm throughout his caeer.

I've followed his progress throughout. What a special player he has been, gifted with speed agility and good instincts.

He recognised the advantages he's had working with Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk and of course Craig Bellamy, when he made the formal announcement..

He's going to see this season out before finally hanging up his boots.

He will be playing at AAMI Park (home) for three out of the last four rounds of the season so will have plenty of opportunity to say a proper goodbye to his team mates, coaching staff and Storm fans. I'm hoping then he and the club have a good run in the finals.

I can honestly say he's been one of the most exciting players to watch that I've seen in many years of following the game.

26 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Thought he would have done another year,still at the top of his game and will be a big loss to the game and the Melbourne club.

Likewise but it's his decision only he knew whether he wanted to go round one more season, still I'm sure it will lift the Storm to give a GF send off.

I hope Cam feels he can do one more season to ease the transition for life without the Big Three!

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Met and talked with Billy on the Fev Rovers pitch when he came over to the UK with Storm to play in the WCC against Leeds Rhinos.

Storm squad had a joint training session with Hull FC based at the Featherstone Rovers stadium.

He was a friendly and decent bloke who after the session was willing to give his autograph to youngsters there. he also signed some items for my children. Together with the rest of the Storm squad he signed some rugby balls and a shirt for our Featherstone club.

It was the year Cameron Smith didn't travel with the squad to the WCC (2008 I think)

Archived