"Events" - What would you like to see?

2 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Despite my earlier somewhat flippant comment, you are spot on.

Often wonder why smaller clubs, in particular, don't make use of local bands for pre-match and half-time. Most will do it for a tiny fee, often for just a few free beers and a feed.

They only need to bring a couple of dozen of their fans/mates to make it pay. And a few might return.

More importantly, it might give the place an aura of the kind of place young people might hang out.

Well said, very well said.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

England should tour Australia and play a round robin origin tournament with New Zealand, New South Wales and Queensland.

I think there’s just enough doubt over who would win it to make it appealing to viewers and fans over there.

Everything else has been tried before.

See that and raise you a 6 team comp. Throw in a combined Pacific Islands side (Fiji, Tonga and Samoa), and a ROW side (France PNG Wales, Ireland Italy, NA, etc).

5 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Different (competing) events owned by different people don't generally happen unless they are mutually beneficial.  The Argos see twp as competition

All the time they see each other as competition for the same fans, nobody wins. Both games appeal to me and I am sure marketed right, others would also be interested in attending both games. Trying to get fans to make a day of it and watch 2 sporting events may increase overall attendance. May not, but putting the two events overlapping only causes people to choose and one sport will loose out in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Medway Bear said:

All the time they see each other as competition for the same fans, nobody wins. Both games appeal to me and I am sure marketed right, others would also be interested in attending both games. Trying to get fans to make a day of it and watch 2 sporting events may increase overall attendance. May not, but putting the two events overlapping only causes people to choose and one sport will loose out in the long run.

I personally agree with you, how ever the Argos are owned by MLSE   

Businesses are jerks who don't care about fans, especially when one business basically owns a monopoly in the market ( MLSE owns almost all the professional Toronto sports teams)

8 hours ago, JM2010 said:

My son isn't interested in just sitting and watching a game of rugby so I don't take him although I have tried!

If there was other things going on for the kids as well it would be much easier to convince him to come along

He’d like Kidz Korner at Penrith.

See below for details of a regular home game in Penrith.

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/04/10/gameday-guide-round-6/

SELFIE TIME

Grab a selfie with Nathan Cleary, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Tyrone May, Corey Waddell and Tyrone Phillips at the Merchandise Van located in the Kidz Korner area of Panthers Stadium between 12.30pm - 1pm.

FANS ON THE FIELD

Members and fans will have the opportunity to test their skills on the hallowed turf of Panthers Stadium following the conclusion of the NRL clash. Fans will be required to wait for a second siren before entering the field of play (dependent on suitable weather conditions).

POST GAME EVENT AT TCs SPORTS BAR

Members and fans will have the chance to meet the Panthers at TC's Sports Bar following the game from approximately 5pm. Bring your jersey or memorabilia to get signed, grab a team poster and say hello to your favourite Panthers.

TOOHEYS NEW MEMBERS BADGE DRAW

Will another member walk away with $2,000?

Panthers members 18 years or older will be in the draw to win $2,000 thanks to Tooheys New.

If the member drawn does not make themselves present within four minutes of the draw, the prize will jackpot for the next home game.

JUNIOR LEAGUE LAP OF HONOUR

Sunday’s clash with the Titans will see Panthers recognise the 9,000 Junior League players, coaches and volunteers who all contribute to making the Penrith District Junior League the biggest and best nursery of young Rugby League talent in the country.

500 players and volunteers from each of our 24 Junior League clubs will complete a lap of honour prior to the NRL clash as part of the celebrations.

KIDZ KORNER

Panthers fans of all ages will be entertained with the best carnival rides coming to Kidz Korner. The Ferris Wheel, Pirate Ship, Swinging Chair Ride, Tiger Castle and the Storm are FREE for kids of all ages. Don't forget the free face painting and hair spray station!

SINCLAIR FORD CAR GIVEAWAY

Panthers' longest-serving partner Sinclair Ford is giving away a $26,000 Ford EcoSport Ambiente at our Round 21 clash with the Raiders.

Simply swipe your Panthers Penrith Leagues Club Members Card when you make a purchase of $10 or more at any participating bar or canteen outlet, or spend $50 at a merchandise outlet at Panthers Stadium throughout the season to be in the draw to WIN.

LOCAL HERO

In conjunction with the Panthers Junior League Appreciation Round we will recognise a selfless individual who has committed countless hours over many years to one of our local clubs.

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

He’d like Kidz Korner at Penrith.

See below for details of a regular home game in Penrith.

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/04/10/gameday-guide-round-6/

SELFIE TIME

Grab a selfie with Nathan Cleary, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Tyrone May, Corey Waddell and Tyrone Phillips at the Merchandise Van located in the Kidz Korner area of Panthers Stadium between 12.30pm - 1pm.

FANS ON THE FIELD

Members and fans will have the opportunity to test their skills on the hallowed turf of Panthers Stadium following the conclusion of the NRL clash. Fans will be required to wait for a second siren before entering the field of play (dependent on suitable weather conditions).

POST GAME EVENT AT TCs SPORTS BAR

Members and fans will have the chance to meet the Panthers at TC's Sports Bar following the game from approximately 5pm. Bring your jersey or memorabilia to get signed, grab a team poster and say hello to your favourite Panthers.

TOOHEYS NEW MEMBERS BADGE DRAW

Will another member walk away with $2,000?

Panthers members 18 years or older will be in the draw to win $2,000 thanks to Tooheys New.

If the member drawn does not make themselves present within four minutes of the draw, the prize will jackpot for the next home game.

JUNIOR LEAGUE LAP OF HONOUR

Sunday’s clash with the Titans will see Panthers recognise the 9,000 Junior League players, coaches and volunteers who all contribute to making the Penrith District Junior League the biggest and best nursery of young Rugby League talent in the country.

500 players and volunteers from each of our 24 Junior League clubs will complete a lap of honour prior to the NRL clash as part of the celebrations.

KIDZ KORNER

Panthers fans of all ages will be entertained with the best carnival rides coming to Kidz Korner. The Ferris Wheel, Pirate Ship, Swinging Chair Ride, Tiger Castle and the Storm are FREE for kids of all ages. Don't forget the free face painting and hair spray station!

SINCLAIR FORD CAR GIVEAWAY

Panthers' longest-serving partner Sinclair Ford is giving away a $26,000 Ford EcoSport Ambiente at our Round 21 clash with the Raiders.

Simply swipe your Panthers Penrith Leagues Club Members Card when you make a purchase of $10 or more at any participating bar or canteen outlet, or spend $50 at a merchandise outlet at Panthers Stadium throughout the season to be in the draw to WIN.

LOCAL HERO

In conjunction with the Panthers Junior League Appreciation Round we will recognise a selfless individual who has committed countless hours over many years to one of our local clubs.

Seems like a club that cares about the whole match day experience. RFL teams should take note

I think the RFL should have a big push on selling out and creating demand for the current events.

SL Grand Final

Championship Grand Final (if that what is happening from next year)

CC final

CC semi finals

Magic Weekend.

That's potentially 5 massive TV events which would increase the profile of our game and interest TV companies, sponsors and potentially other media outlets.

The RFL could also help turn the play offs into an event and work with the club's to help sell out the play off games.

All of the above plus some England internationals (ashes, NZ test series, World Cup, mid season test)

The club based events that have been mentioned (CC final, SL grand final, etc.) are really good solid events and I do sometimes try and watch some of them. However, RL needs to make sure it has a few showpiece events that don't involve club teams. Look at what Origin has become in Australia, and what top international matches can do in rugby union and other sports. I'm not suggesting RL tries to imitate those other sports completely, because that's unrealistic and would be a failure. However, there are still viable international matches that RL can put on.

Obviously they can't all be played annually, but I'm interested in the following sometimes happening (obviously some - like Eng v NZ - are scheduled to happen anyway):

England v Australia - 3 match series for The Ashes

England v NZ - 3 match series

England v France 3 match series - if neither Aus or NZ are coming over - might even try 2 games in one country, one in the other

Four nations - Eng, Aus, NZ, Fra -  would consider some double headers

Lancashire v Yorkshire - 3 match series

I'm not really interested in anything involving Ireland, Wales, or Scotland. I respect each of their rights to have a national team, but I'm not going to give them any respect if they're made up of English and Australians, and neither am I interested in seeing any of them play if it's on that basis.

"Events" would not be "events" if they happened too many times. Assuming events are meant to be something different, sort of prestige must see events.

We have CCF, Grand final, Magic (blackpool bash)  plus it would seem a double header SL semi.... With the addition of a few internationals surely that is sufficient events.

All clubs can do different promotions as in themes, additional activities plus big up certain fixtures.  Certainly Leeds do that type of thing all-be-it still aimed at existing fans.

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Id love to see a proper 9s series.

See each side go big in at least one game per year.

Id like to see a combined pacific island side tour the UK and vice versa

A replay of the GF as a stand alone opening game of the season.

I like these ideas too. 

A big SL launch using a GF replay to start the season with a bang. 

I've been thinking about a Pacific Islands team taking ona GB side. I think that would be an extremely entertaining series

5 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Also as someone mentioned earlier we could have a few rounds throughout the season which have a theme.

Mental Health 

Women's

Community game

Schools

The NRL themed rounds inject some new enthusiasm in the regular season. I don’t know why Super League doesn’t follow suit.

A heritage round, with retro shirts worn on the pitch and sold in the shops, is an absolute no-brainer.

18 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Better than origin in my opinion. A big challenge for both sides.

Imagine a side of

Hopoate, Vunivalu, Hurrell, Leilua, Fusitu'a, Hayne, Lam, Fifita, Segeyaro, Sims, Murdoch-Massilla, Papiili, Taumolo, Pangai Jr, Paulo, Sims, Koroisau

Be great to watch and favourites imo.

It would also add even more importance to the Pacific tests as they would be like selection games for a Pacific Nations side

Anything absolutely anything but a 9s or Lancashire v Yorkshire.

More 'events' for the same people are limited by disposable income.

It's internationals that we really need, high profile ones at that, on a regular fixture list with long term promotion.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

20 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

9s isn't for you though. 

9s is more accessible, quicker, and can include areas that otherwise wouldn't be included. 

It's a self contained event that lowers barriers to entry hugely.

How?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

From a hosting point of view it can be a destination event that can attract fans from all over the game, its a self contained event that only so its a single event to put on, and its a multi-day event so economies of scale can be gained.

From a competitive point of view, the game is shorter, less likely to see a huge blow out and it matters less if there is one, more chance of an upset, so easier for smaller expansion areas to compete.

Same fans, same income problem

The way to make it easier for expansion clubs to compete is to have more players on the field not less.

The bit in red make no sense.

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

1. No. New fans. That would be a large part of the reason for doing it.

2. That isnt the case. 9s would be more competitive with poorer sides. Cant score 144 points in 18mins.

3. It makes perfect sense. Its a single, self contained event that happens over multiple days.

1. You said attract fans from all over the game, that isn't new fans.

2. You can honestly see Hemel giving Saints a competitive game on a pitch with acres of space, your delusioned. 18 mins is enough time for a 40 or 50 nil blowout.

3. So is Magic and Bash, lets concentrate on making these must attend events before adding any nines nonsense.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

1. All over the game meaning there would be multiple clubs, allowing you to target more people with an affiliation with the club who may not attend too many other events.

2. No, As i said they would be more competitive than in 9s than 18s and a blow out over 18mins matters less than one over 80.

3. They are, but they are targetted to the same fans. 9's would be for a different market.

3.  What is this different market which you have suddenly invented that didn't exist when you said, to paraphrase, "more of the same fans".

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What? I didnt ever say we would target the same fans.

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

1. All over the game meaning there would be multiple clubs, allowing you to target more people with an affiliation with the club who may not attend too many other events.

2. No, As i said they would be more competitive than in 9s than 18s and a blow out over 18mins matters less than one over 80.

3. They are, but they are targetted to the same fans. 9's would be for a different market.

That is the same fans, no matter how you phrase what you said was not new fans, it is the same fans.

Existing events.

The GF is a successful event and needs little tampering with and is well supported. Leave it at OT.

The CC is an issue.  Why the fixation with Wembley?  Apart from the first CC Final in the new wembley we have struggled to fill it.  So why not have cities bid for the final and have venues fixed three years in advance.  A sell out at the Emirates, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Etihad, Villa Park would IMHO be a great experience and it would attract new spectators to the game.

Magic Weekend - If the CC Final moves around the country then keep the MW at Newcastle to keep bolstering the game in the North East.

New event to attract new supporters -

I strongly believe that each SL club should take 1 home game 'On the Road'.  Therefore you instantly create 12 events nationwide and you could have one On the Road game each week through the summer months.  If the Hearns are to ever get involved in RL then this is their forte in getting people in different areas of the country to visit an event i.e. Darts once per year.

Mid season International - take the game around the country and build the England RL brand.

Archived