"Events" - What would you like to see?

I’d like to see the Magic Weekend and Challenge Cup swapped round in the calendar in an attempt at stopping the season from seeming to be so heavily stacked at the back end of the year. 

However, I can see this being too much of an issue because firstly, the Football League Play-Off’s take place at Wembley on the May Bank Holiday weekend and the Championship one is worth millions, I doubt we’d be able to get to Wembley. This is the spiritual home of the Challenge Cup so we’d likely have to look at moving. I’d happily see us back in Cardiff as it’s a great city and a great ground (I’d hate us to play at that God awful Olympic Stadium in East London). 

Also, we’d likely have venue issues around the Bank Holiday Weekend in August as there is Football that weekend so we’d be at the mercy of the organisers of Football fixtures, though I do believe they take things into account and maybe we could get dispensation to use St James’ Park that weekend every year meaning Newcastle would be away, similar to what happens when the Grand Final falls during the Premier League season and not the International break. 

Leeds are famous for peaking at the back end of the season but shifting the Challenge Cup would mean teams would have to go big in the early part of the year and then replicate it at the back end of the year, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To harp back to this. I will admit from an English point of view that it is probably better to focus on maximizing potential of the current big events before creating more and potentially "diluting" these events.

I will however say in the light of yesterday's result it would be a great time to try and start a big ticket event in France to help piggie-back off the publicity boost. I can't remember the last time there was 20k crowd for a game/s in France, so that should be the first goal in my opinion.

I would still prefer a French 'Mini-Magic' triple header involving Catalans & Toulouse, not playing each other though. Aim for Toulouse FC's stadium (if they let us), and aim to blow to 20k barrier out of the water.

3pm - Elite 1 (Final Winners V Cup Winners)

5pm - Toulouse V English club.

7pm - Catalans V English club.

That would be a unique event that doesn't really dilute any of the staples on the English calendar and gives French fans a club 'event' every year.

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Clubs found it easier to win both the Challenge cup and Grand Final when the CC Final was earlier in the year. It was easier to peak earlier in the year and then again at the end than to peak twice within 2 months.

The best teams would do that. Whereas what he have now sees the best sides often winning one or none of the trophies on offer. 

One thing the NRL seems to do well is the heritage round. There's no excuse for a code starting in 1895 not making the most of this. At the risk of deflecting this into a 'you know who' thread, even Toronto have worked on a heritage shirt.

I used to enjoy the Charity Shield and remember going to Swansea and the Isle of Man. With a strong emphasis on a selected charity, this event does have some potential for testing some new venues in relatively modest arenas; if successful, the event could have more ambitious targets.

10 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

One thing the NRL seems to do well is the heritage round. There's no excuse for a code starting in 1895 not making the most of this. At the risk of deflecting this into a 'you know who' thread, even Toronto have worked on a heritage shirt.

I used to enjoy the Charity Shield and remember going to Swansea and the Isle of Man. With a strong emphasis on a selected charity, this event does have some potential for testing some new venues in relatively modest arenas; if successful, the event could have more ambitious targets.

Never understood why magic weekend isn’t our heritage weekend. 

Archived