Why do you support Fev?

hrtbps

I got thinking, looking around at the crowd for the London game, about the demographics of the Fev support.

I wonder if there are any first-generation Fev supporters, or are we all here because it's in the family?

I support Fev because my dad does. He supports Fev because he was born and raised a couple of streets over. My kids in turn, fingers crossed, will support Fev.

So my question is, why do you support Fev?

Passed on from Grandad to father to me then my kids ( trying to get Grandkids interested but its hard going) My local Team,love the sport and the Club become part of your family.It makes your week when we win and upsets me when we lose.Got a season ticket for Leeds Utd for a year but it wasn’t the same if you know what I mean and went back to POR .In a nutshell the Club is in my heart , body and soul.

I'm a first generation Fev fan who started watching  when we moved to Fev when I was 6. Previously my Dad had been a Batley fan and his Dad was a Director at Mount Pleasant in the late forties, early fifties. When I first started watching RL I used to go to C*s on a Friday night watching the likes of Hardisty, Hepworth, Dennis Hartley et al, and Rovers on a Sunday, but when they played each other it was always Fev I shouted for and wanted to win.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Its habitual now. I go cos i enjoy the company of those I watch the match with. 

Watching fev has become second place to my family.... my grandkids came yesterday. At one time id have shifted everything to go to the game.... now i can't be ar sed. I enjoyed the day playing with my kids and getting covered in chocolate and ribena.

I'm hoping this mood will pass.....

I'm second generation. Dad came over from the dark side having been a Wigan fan.

In the pre M62 days, travelling home for a game wasn't really an option, so he started going to Fev with some mates he made at Ponte RUFC.

Then he started taking me and they got into my blood. I've bled blue and white since.

I sometimes curse him, but I'm usually grateful he took me to Post Office Road.

I've inflicted Rovers on my kids and they're just as obsessed as I am.

Sadly, I don't think there'll be many 1st generation fans, 20 years out of the top flight has gifted incomers and new fans to the other lot.

18 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Its habitual now. I go cos i enjoy the company of those I watch the match with. 

Watching fev has become second place to my family.... my grandkids came yesterday. At one time id have shifted everything to go to the game.... now i can't be ar sed. I enjoyed the day playing with my kids and getting covered in chocolate and ribena.

I'm hoping this mood will pass.....

Can understand your feelings, Robin. Been watching Fev for almost twenty years. More or less knew every player personally, the coaching staff, and the Directors. Real homely feeling about the place. Times have changed, along with personalities, not always for the better, but I still wend my way down P.O. Road now and again.

when i ws a kid we used to go to the Hip for the saturday afternoon matinee, flash gordon, hopalong cassidy 3 stooges etc. we would charge out of there, down post office road to the ground. in those days they opened the gates at half time, and we would run in and just mess about. gradually we would take notice of the rugby, and it was sort of drip fed into us.60 years later, here i am.one of my sons is a fanatic, so i've done my bit. they will always be my club.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

My dad and uncle both from Goole worked at Drax Power with John Newlove so started going in the 60s and took me when i was 7 my 1st ever game was against Cas iv loved Rovers and hated Cas ever since. My son goes because i forced him as a youngster now hes Rovers mad

My dad took me to my first game in the early 70s . Wakefield at home . And I have been going back for the next 42 years . It’s a family thing my grandad was a fan my dad and now me . There’s been good times and bad . But one thing remains I will always be a fev fan and proud to be . 

I lived South Wakefield and went to secondary school a mile from Trinity's ground so as a youngster from the mid fifties i had a junior season ticket think it cost something daft like 14shillings a season 70p in todays money.I used to go and watch them train tuesday and thursday night and get a few autographs.so i Went to Wembley with them when they won the cup 3 times in 5yrs beating Hull,Huddersfield,andWigan.But i moved to Pontefract when i got married and my best mate used to follow Fev so i started going home and away with him and they have been my prefered club for 48yrs,and i don't regret it for a moment despite all our ups and downs.Beiieve me in the sixties Wakefield and Fev matches turned into battles more than our games against Cas cars would be parked up Heath Common as far as the bend near the Horse and Groom pub when we visited Belle Vue.Best day has to be 83 beating 4/1 on favs Hull F.C. followed by beating Cas in the cup game under Powell.

Being from a family who played for Featherstone it’s in the genes, been part of it for 63 years and couldn’t see myself supporting anyone else. My hubby is a first timer though as it was when we met 19 years ago that he started coming to games with me and he finished up being part of the “stand gang” 

Im Fev and im proud

I have always loved reading rugby/football programmes (still do) but I had no interest in either sport, when i was 15 all my mates went to watch Rovers but would bring me the bundle of programmes - 10 for a tanner (6d) but i was sick of getting the same ones. They said go yersen so i did and was hooked. 47 years later Iam still going and even named my Son after Steve Quinn (Stephen). Its hard at times thanks to the RL but its my club. 

I have watched  Fev since 1960 having come down from Scotland when Dad got a promotion, I watched Hearts in Edinburgh and have  always loved competitive sports. School mates said come along and support Fev. A definite cultural shock from the segregated bigoted supporters of football, even in them days., and got hooked.  I have always said that sport is like a ball it goes round and round ie good times, bad times and diabolical times. I go with my daughter and son in law and it is in my bones.

I dont really know when i started watching fev, i used to live on post office road behind the sticks and could watch from the bedroom but me and my mates used to sneak in my dad was look out for us we was about 11 year old ,then later in life i started work at copper works and 2 of the lads i worked with was Andy Fisher and Ikram Butt ,I had been to the odd games but didnt really get the bug until then.I have had some great times watching fev and some not so great but i hate missing a game and proud to support fev ,i take my eldest daughter and her boyfriend and my other daughter and youngest son, even talk our lass into going sometimes, its good when you can go abroad and bump into people from allover the place and tell them your from fev and they reply or them with the rugby team 

6 hours ago, roversspud said:

I'm a first generation Fev fan who started watching  when we moved to Fev when I was 6. Previously my Dad had been a Batley fan and his Dad was a Director at Mount Pleasant in the late forties, early fifties. When I first started watching RL I used to go to C*s on a Friday night watching the likes of Hardisty, Hepworth, Dennis Hartley et al, and Rovers on a Sunday, but when they played each other it was always Fev I shouted for and wanted to win.

Well, identical circumstances to me, but then again, he is my brother. I moved down south just over 30 years ago and have followed Fev from afar since then with a few trips north to catch games each year (work most Sundays).

Speak to Roversspud on the phone 2-3 times a week and it drives my wife mad when she asks afterwards how his family are and I can't tell her, cos all we have talked about is Fev. If you stand behind the sticks at the P O Road end and see a fella reach for his phone the moment a try is scored, that's Roversspud texting me. The words " try Briscoe" have a strange beauty and familiarity to them.

SStarted in 1939 when I was 5. Went with my dad and have been a supporter ever since. When I lived in Flamborough I still went to all games I could get to. I also went to all games when I lived in Leeds at Bramley. Our son Robert became a supporter and is now the groundsman. My grandson goes occasionally but is also a soccer fan. I have continued watching and supporting through thick and thin. Raised lots of funds with Steve Evans as Foundation members and other events and served a year on the board. Did Golden Gamble until age caught up with me and still try to make myself useful when I can. Born in Fev and am a Fev lad. Was a member of the uare 

5 hours ago, oldrover said:

when i ws a kid we used to go to the Hip for the saturday afternoon matinee, flash gordon, hopalong cassidy 3 stooges etc. we would charge out of there, down post office road to the ground. in those days they opened the gates at half time, and we would run in and just mess about. gradually we would take notice of the rugby, and it was sort of drip fed into us.60 years later, here i am.one of my sons is a fanatic, so i've done my bit. they will always be my club.

Same for me. Stopped going to the hip and went to the rovers for the next 70 years, still buying season tickets. Probably ill still be going till I pass on

Archived