Racism

richie keay

I was told there was an incident at the game against Rochdale, this makes my blood boil, there is absolutely no excuse for shouting derogatory comments in any situation in today's society, let's hope the culprit is found and banned from attending at CP for life.

richiekeay.gif

I saw something about this on the Twitter feed. Don't think it was racist chanting as such: From what I read it was some old bloke! They even put a photo of him up.

Don't know how it panned out but from the tweets I read it seems that a couple of younger lads confronted the old bigot and ended up getting thrown out by the stewards for standing up to him!!

If this is the case, the club should: 

- Identify the racist and ban him from the ground.

- Apologise to the lads who stood up to the racist.

- Have a word with the stewards with regard to their role in this.

It was me who heard it and reported it. The stewards didn't throw the man in question out they simply asked him if he had said it to which of course he replied no. So myself and my friends are being made to look liars. The issue is with the club at the moment and I'm awaiting another response from them but myself and friends won't be attending again unless the issue is dealt with in the severity it deserves. 

Agreed. Stupid of the steward to ask him if he did it. He was bound to deny it.

It should have been a case of them TELLING him, "ok fine, if that's what you say but if we hear you shout anything racially offensive then you'll be asked to leave the ground". That should have nipped it in the bud.

Not sure how clued up the club and stewards are on zero tolerance/kick racism out of sport but making people who report issues look like liars isn't the way to go.

Is the problem lack of training on the part of the stewards as to how they are supposed to handle such situations? 

I think it is massively a lack of training as the two stewards we told radioed through to the head steward who was the one that spoke to him they didn't seem to want to act. The head steward has said that him and those around him denied it however we watched the conversation unfold and it wasn't "those around him" it was him and his one mate that were asked. When we went to tell the man he wasn't welcome at the ground anymore as we don't want people like that near our club the stewards chucked both myself and my friends out.

The club needs to nip this in the bud and fast. Well done joe142 and your friends. Don't let this put you off attending, it's, thankfully, a one off thing, but the club do need to respond regarding the steward's handling of the situation.

Thanks TMF but the club have responded and it looks as though nothing is being done and the version of events that the steward claimed to have happened is very different to the events we witnessed so I'll be staying away from now on. AFC seem to have much more of a clue when it comes to handling their numpties 

This is quite serious. You and your friends were chucked out of Craven Park for doing what decent Barrow and RL fans would/should do and it looks as though the club are doing nothing? Time for the new chairman to put his stamp on things i think. Response from the club please. If the club are not careful this could escalate. I do realise there are two sides to every coin. So lets hear the other side.

I agree with TMF, and though this is a fans forum I'm aware that at least one of the Directors visits and posts on it. 

Let's hear it from the club: will an investigation be launched? 

As a Debenture holder, and thus I imagine a part owner, but also as a fan, more importantly a human being, I'm disgusted and embarrassed if the facts are are indicated above by joe142

David Taylor

@750VFR

Jane

Im taking this matter will be passed onto the Chairman on his return?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

1 hour ago, morty said:

Im taking this matter will be passed onto the Chairman on his return?

There was a post on Facebook and Steve mentioned that he was on holiday and would deal with the situation when he returns if it doesnt get delt with beforehand. 

Tom Heighton

Just posted by Steve Neale on Barrow RLFC facebook page:-

I would like to apologise for the way the club dealt with the alleged racist incident at the Rochdale game on Sunday. I don't think we handled the situation as best we could and for that I am sorry. We need to learn lessons to educate ourselves over how to deal with such incidents in the future. I have made myself aware of the RFLs "Tackle It" initiative and I have contacted them today for advice over how to deal with this particular incident going forward and whether we should be following some protocol over potential future incidents of any discriminatory nature. The matter is not closed.

Good man and I hope you contact the guys that got thrown out of CP.

Latest update on the situation from the Chairman:-

Update following the reports of a racist event at the Rochdale fixture: Barrow RLFC do not condone the language that was alleged to have been directed towards a Rochdale player. Both Barrow RLFC and the RFL adopt a zero tolerance attitude to any form of discrimination. The club accept that they may not have handled the situation as best they could and our stewards were unsure of how to react as this was such a unique event and we contacted the RFL for advice. We have received information about the RFL’s “Tackle It” campaign and all the match day stewards will be educated as to how best to deal with future incidents. The club, players and supporters are such a diverse group and we pride ourselves on being an inclusive club. The club would like to appeal for witness statements to be sent to the club. Racism is a criminal act and the club intend to forward any evidence received to the police for them to handle. (Steve Neale)

38 minutes ago, Jane said:

Latest update on the situation from the Chairman:-

Update following the reports of a racist event at the Rochdale fixture: Barrow RLFC do not condone the language that was alleged to have been directed towards a Rochdale player. Both Barrow RLFC and the RFL adopt a zero tolerance attitude to any form of discrimination. The club accept that they may not have handled the situation as best they could and our stewards were unsure of how to react as this was such a unique event and we contacted the RFL for advice. We have received information about the RFL’s “Tackle It” campaign and all the match day stewards will be educated as to how best to deal with future incidents. The club, players and supporters are such a diverse group and we pride ourselves on being an inclusive club. The club would like to appeal for witness statements to be sent to the club. Racism is a criminal act and the club intend to forward any evidence received to the police for them to handle. (Steve Neale)

This campaign is not new though is it, i am sure it’s RFL protocol that the Tackle It campaign announcement is made every game. It is at Whitehaven.  I agree it has no place in any game be it Rugby or any other, but any Steward or Official who is employed by the club, should be up to dealing with such a situation. Without stereotyping you can guess the Alleged Offender would be a gentleman of the older generation, but these days age and ignorance is no excuse. If it can be proved, a lengthy ban surely can be the only outcome.

HW

• 2 weeks later...

Archived