Have you ever won anything big?

This weekend I was remembering my trip to Australia that I won on Sky Sports in a competition run when the Brisbane broncos  played London Broncos back in 97 I think. Had flights and 10 days accommodation paid for in Brisbane in what was a fabulous trip so it got me thinking it might be a bit of fun thread

So what, if anything, have you won in your lifetime?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

5 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

This weekend I was remembering my trip to Australia that I won on Sky Sports in a competition run when the Brisbane broncos  played London Broncos back in 97 I think. Had flights and 10 days accommodation paid for in Brisbane in what was a fabulous trip so it got me thinking it might be a bit of fun thread

So what, if anything, have you won in your lifetime?

I won the lottery of life when I was born within the traditional county of Yorkshire. Which is just as well, as I've won naff all since.

Mrs Ginger won an iPad on an Absolute Radio phone in, which is how we know that Absolute Radio in the afternoon doesn't have any producers. She was asked what the best thing about Hastings was, her mind went blank and all she could think of was that we have two funicular railways. Anyway, she got the iPad and that's been a moderately big deal as it's that gizmo that's kept Little Ginger sane at times.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have the uncanny knack of whenever I buy a ticket for my children in something they win but i don't. Last was £85 for my daughter in a 50/50 draw

When she was about 9 she won a competition at the cinema - every wednesday morning over a summer hols you could watch an old film for free if you brought in a book review, her's was judged best (or pulled out the hat) and she won 208 cinema tickets (to allow a family of 4 1 film a week for a year), her next birthday she took all her friends/class to watch whatever that years big Pixar movie was

I won £2100 with 5 numbers on the lottery about a decade ago.  That's the only big thing I've won (>£500)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Never won anything financial or sporting but I've got quite  a few runners up medals in a drawer somewhere. Just never managed the big one.

Mrs Shoelaces is uncanny with gambling. She must have backed the winner in the National at least ten times in the time I've known her in spite of her not having a clue about racing !

One year we were out in Spain and it was a dismal, cloudy day. She's looking out of the widow on the phone talking to her son about putting a bet on for her back in England. I'm reading out the runners for the National. When I got to " Many Clouds "  she said  " That'll do, put me a £10 on to win ! " it only won at 25/1. !

42 minutes ago, ckn said:

I won £2100 with 5 numbers on the lottery about a decade ago.  That's the only big thing I've won (>£500)

I’ve only been four numbers off winning the lottery a few times 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You did well, a pal of mine had 5 numbers about 15 years ago and won roughly £1450.

There have been times when 5 numbers gets you under £100!  Usually when all six number are under 31 so catch the birthday numbers many people use.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I won £1,000 on the latest comeback series of 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'. I would have posted about it on here at the time, but I didn't want people shouting "Who is this thicko" at their screens. Then I realised people probably do that every time I post on here anyway :D

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

13 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

I won £1,000 on the latest comeback series of 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'. I would have posted about it on here at the time, but I didn't want people shouting "Who is this thicko" at their screens. Then I realised people probably do that every time I post on here anyway :D

I guy I used to work with won £32,000 on that about 15 years ago. He was spitting feathers because he was looking for a big win. This was shortly after he'd inherited a farmhouse worth about £600,000 !

I've been going to Hornets since 1966. I've lost count of the Golden Gamble/ Half time draw tickets I've bought over the years and I've never won once ! That must be amazing odds. 

A packet of Cadburys chocolate fingers as a child,. As I sound like Peter Kay's sister, I regale this story to my Yorkshire friends much to their delight......I have even convinced a few that I am in fact his sister.

Other than that, a few tickets to matches and an attendance at a coin toss.

I still put the Euromillions on with a syndicate at work,  in the stupid belief that one day it will be us.

The Aus trip must have been a blast

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I guy I used to work with won £32,000 on that about 15 years ago. He was spitting feathers because he was looking for a big win. This was shortly after he'd inherited a farmhouse worth about £600,000 !

I've been going to Hornets since 1966. I've lost count of the Golden Gamble/ Half time draw tickets I've bought over the years and I've never won once ! That must be amazing odds. 

I always have a go on the 50/50 draw and have never come near. 

Often they pay out about £100.

The one I really wanted to win was at the Toronto Blue Jays v New York Yankees game last year. It was a staggerring $67,000!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

the mixed grill one sunday afternoon at the local, fell asleep with it on the chair arm beside me ( few pints) - the dog wasn't going to miss a rare opportunity like that  make no mistake, so the biggest winner here was bruce and he didn't even have to buy a ticket! (he did leave me the tomato to be fair)

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Were they 'les cadbury's chocolate fingres'? And did they taste exactly the same? :)

Nowt gets past you does it ?

(maybe I should have explained the full story)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Never had a big win, but did have a lucky streak once - without my parents' permission, I sneaked off at some holiday attraction and put 10p in a fruit machine. Hit the jackpot straight away (not a not of money, unless you were on 50p a week pocket money, as I was then). I was then given the option to hold each time for the next four or five goes.

The total winnings, before it started spinning again as normal (and I cut my losses) was £20-£30, which was a lot more brass in pocket than I'd ever had at that very early point in my life. I probably shouldn't have been alllowed to play a gambling machine at that age, but this was a laxer era, I suppose, as one of the people working there congratulated me as I left with bulging pockets.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, amm said:

A packet of Cadburys chocolate fingers as a child,. As I sound like Peter Kay's sister, I regale this story to my Yorkshire friends much to their delight......I have even convinced a few that I am in fact his sister.

Other than that, a few tickets to matches and an attendance at a coin toss.

I still put the Euromillions on with a syndicate at work,  in the stupid belief that one day it will be us.

The Aus trip must have been a blast

I have even convinced a few that I am in fact his sister.

You telling us you aren't? That's another illusion shattered! ?…..?

I won a £1000 on the Premium Bonds, but nearly binned it as I didn't think I had any mistook it for junk mail, my Grandad had bought me £100 worth for my 18th, but the prize came before my actual birthday so I had no idea!

Obviously being 18 I invested it wisely and the rest as they say is history................................

Archived