Biggest club crowd in London for 5 years ?

14 hours ago, Magic XIII said:

The game has so far sold 2k tickets. No club has EVER brought 2k to London. I would estimate the best travelling support is Leeds and Wigan with maybe 500/750. The Championship brings anywhere between 0 and 250 away fans, the latter only Bradford, Leigh and HKR.  

Is that post SL you are referring to? One of the Griffin Park games we (hull FC) took well over a thousand and in 2006 when we had a long unbeaten run we took loads to the Stoop. IIRC you had some bumper crowds that year with at least one being over 10k, Wigan I think it was because we were going to go but couldn't make it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, andyscoot said:

That's a can of worms. It's got a Harrow postcode so many in London consider it to be Middlesex but I would wager most outside of London would consider it to be London.

Anywhere south of Warrington is London ;)

Ok, I didn't realise we had so much London crowd knowledge on this forum. Let's say my comment referred to the latter days at The Stoop, The Hive and Trailfinders, so 6 / 7 years;  accepting that in years gone by some of the big clubs have travelled in good number.

20 hours ago, andyscoot said:

That's a can of worms. It's got a Harrow postcode so many in London consider it to be Middlesex but I would wager most outside of London would consider it to be London.

Wembley is in the London Borough of Brent. Middlesex hasn’t existed since 1965.

14 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Apart from the odd exception London would generally draw 4-5k crowds against the big northern sides with about 1k away fans.  And anything from 2-4k for the other games with a few hundred away fans.

That might be a bit optimistic, looking at the 2014 Super League season for example they got 1,377 against Warrington, 1,268 against Leeds and a season high of 2,013 against Wigan.

Even at The Stoop the year before only the Wigan match exceeded 3,000 and the average was around 2,000.

There's no reason they shouldn't aim for 4-5k in some matches but I tihnk they'd have to do a lot of work to get there.

51 minutes ago, fevtom said:

That might be a bit optimistic, looking at the 2014 Super League season for example they got 1,377 against Warrington, 1,268 against Leeds and a season high of 2,013 against Wigan.

Even at The Stoop the year before only the Wigan match exceeded 3,000 and the average was around 2,000.

There's no reason they shouldn't aim for 4-5k in some matches but I tihnk they'd have to do a lot of work to get there.

That's completely out of context though. By 2013 the club had alienated a couple of thousand fans, including people like me who'd been going 20 years. By 2014 they had gone even further and people who had been supporting the club since the 1980's were walking away. The atmosphere had gone beyond toxic, to the point that there were too few people still attending for there to be any toxicity left in the air. 

The Broncos had a hardcore of about 2,000 going every week, and another 2,000 or so who would pick and choose which games to attend. Hence the 4-5,000 at big games and 2-3,000 at less attractive ones. A lot of those people will never return, but some will if they see positive signs (and I'm not simply talking about the on-field performances).

It's good to see the club putting some effort into promoting this match, and the 8s as a whole. Perhaps a big turn out will finally prove to Dave Hughes that you can't simply host a game and expect people to come rolling in.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

8 hours ago, gnidir said:

Anywhere south of Warrington is London ;)

Aren't perceptions of place intriguing!  When my wife and I moved from one village near Salisbury to another, we were getting seriously interested in the house which, indeed, we ended up buying.  So I asked the estate agent we were dealing with if there was a genuine reason for the sale.  There was, he said.  The couple in question were moving because he had got a job 'up north'.  This turned out to be Worcester!

Have you also noticed how national media, who might just be expected to take a national, rather than London-centric, view of the world, almost always cannot resist describing anything related to somewhere in the Hebrides, Orkney or Shetland as being 'a remote, Scottish island.'  It never seems to occur to them that their Scottish island readers might appreciate London or Edinburgh being described as a 'remote capital'!  As Spike Milligan once wrote in a Goon Show script, with typically insane accuracy, "In South America."  "That's abroad, isn't it?"  "It depends where you're standing!"

18 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Any game in London involving two club teams is a club game in London.  Not that it makes any difference.

So Spurs vs Arsenal then, not that it makes any difference.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Aren't perceptions of place intriguing!  When my wife and I moved from one village near Salisbury to another, we were getting seriously interested in the house which, indeed, we ended up buying.  So I asked the estate agent we were dealing with if there was a genuine reason for the sale.  There was, he said.  The couple in question were moving because he had got a job 'up north'.  This turned out to be Worcester!

Have you also noticed how national media, who might just be expected to take a national, rather than London-centric, view of the world, almost always cannot resist describing anything related to somewhere in the Hebrides, Orkney or Shetland as being 'a remote, Scottish island.'  It never seems to occur to them that their Scottish island readers might appreciate London or Edinburgh being described as a 'remote capital'!  As Spike Milligan once wrote in a Goon Show script, with typically insane accuracy, "In South America."  "That's abroad, isn't it?"  "It depends where you're standing!"

I recall the debate about where to put the Millenium dome.  That it should be in London rather than Birmingham because "Birmingham is a long way away" went unchallenged.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 hours ago, nadera78 said:

That's completely out of context though. By 2013 the club had alienated a couple of thousand fans, including people like me who'd been going 20 years. By 2014 they had gone even further and people who had been supporting the club since the 1980's were walking away. The atmosphere had gone beyond toxic, to the point that there were too few people still attending for there to be any toxicity left in the air. 

The Broncos had a hardcore of about 2,000 going every week, and another 2,000 or so who would pick and choose which games to attend. Hence the 4-5,000 at big games and 2-3,000 at less attractive ones. A lot of those people will never return, but some will if they see positive signs (and I'm not simply talking about the on-field performances).

It's good to see the club putting some effort into promoting this match, and the 8s as a whole. Perhaps a big turn out will finally prove to Dave Hughes that you can't simply host a game and expect people to come rolling in.

Absolutely on the money.

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

Just came out of Ealing Broadway station and there are about ten people in Broncos T-shirts handing out flyers for Sunday’s match.

image.jpg

You have to really inspect that flyer to see who is playing. Woukd be better to just put in big bold letters London v Leeds than use the logos. Good effort though to be promoting

15 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

I thought Skolars were also in London!

We’re semi pro. LB are full time so the leaflet is right. I’m in, ironically, Yorkshire on holiday this Sunday so can’t go unfortunately, but sure it’ll be a great day. Hopefully will give RL in London a boost. 

2 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

Just came out of Ealing Broadway station and there are about ten people in Broncos T-shirts handing out flyers for Sunday’s match.

image.jpg

Probably raised a few eyebrows in suburban Ealing. Yes, it is still missionary work promoting RL in London. I guess some of these were players as well. Good effort. 

59 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

Probably raised a few eyebrows in suburban Ealing. Yes, it is still missionary work promoting RL in London. I guess some of these were players as well. Good effort. 

Williams, Hellewell, Cunningham and Battye were there. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

21 hours ago, nadera78 said:

That's all absolutely spot on. Even if I didn't live in Hastings now I wouldn't have been making the effort to go to any games. Last season was the first time in really long time it felt like I was missing out. The results didn't have much to do with that so much as the feeling that the club had finally got its stuff together and had a clearer idea of what it actually wanted to be.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 8/14/2018 at 1:26 PM, Adelaide Tiger said:

Are you talking about the current ground? 

Because I and 6,000 other Cas supporters made the trek to The Valley in 2000 when the club sponsor agrred to pay for all the coaches.

I think the thread title gives it away. And while Wembley does have a HA postcode, it is still a London Borough, as the county of Middlesex as a unitary authority no longer exists, and hasn't for nearly 50 years.

Archived