Hetherington rant - ‘is it time for him to be removed’?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first sentence of that article is an embarrassment to journalism, whether you agree with GH or not, and I don't.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's toys out of the pram stuff though, isn't it?

DR was GH's invention and, come hell or high water, he is going to be shown to be right, even if he isn't.

There is a debate to be held, but not in public using various social media networks, forums etc. Playing the game in this way is simply childish.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Should Hetherington be removed? Absolutely. Look at the game right now. We definitely need change and we desperately need it now. 

Hetherington’s stranglehold on the powers that be needs loosening and we need massive, game wide change. 

Be removed from what and by whom?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I was answering the OP’s title. Removed from having such a prominent say on proceedings in regards to Rugby League. And hopefully by Robert Elstone. 

I don’t know how you stop him having his right to speak and give his opinions ... and elstone doesn’t have that power . He’s running a club and if they’re happy that’s it 

15 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Hetherington’s stranglehold on the powers that be needs loosening and we need massive, game wide change. 

He's been outvoted by 11-1 so who does he have power over? He's now picking a fight with the veto holder.

He brings up some good questions about what would the effect be of all those reserve teams on the lower leagues and community game in the short run as the players have to come from somewhere right.

Where will the players come from is the next most used RL phrase after TGG.

Whatever you may think of Hetherington's views and stance, that is a very VERY highly partisan, sujective and quite deriding opinion piece, which IMO does its author no favours whatsoever.  The only rant I see is from the author of the artcle, tbh.

What partisan rants like that DO achieve, though, is to give the (misleading and highly-disingenuous) impression that the target said, implied or meant things that he never actually said or did. And, if enough people keep repeating the fiction, it becomes received fact. A tactic employed regularly by demagogues and sundry rabble-rousers and malcontents.

Personally, I hate DR and think Hetherington is probably wrong. But the way to challenge that is through reasoned argument, not disingenuous and borderline-dishonest derision.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

29 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What? I have literally no idea how you think that is possible. 

It’s been abundantly clear for years the presence Hetherington has over some. It’s time for said presence to be extinguished. The game is on its backside and we need fresh ideas, not antiquated, parochial Hetherington having a prominent position in the game. 

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s been abundantly clear for years the presence Hetherington has over some. It’s time for said presence to be extinguished. The game is on its backside and we need fresh ideas, not antiquated, parochial Hetherington having a prominent position in the game. 

But that’s just an opinion , like he has his . Guys like Lenagan and McManus are equally vocal . Just because you don’t agree with him you can’t ‘ extinguish ‘ him . The way they are doing it may be debatable but they’re allowed  to push their case . 

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I'll agree with that bit, 100%.  But the only "fresh" ideas I have seen so far from the Junta or their employee look to be in reality just defensive plans to preserve the existing SL clubs. And the hell with anyone else. The Wood/Hetherington axis was clearly shafted with Wood's defenestration, and probably no bad thing given my loathing of Wood.  But will the game be any better off when Lenagan and his allies have fully siezed control?  Or will it just be another case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss...?"

Had Elstone been appointed as RFL CEO (instead of the very very poor appointment actually made) rather than SL CEO, then I would probably have felt considerably more optimistic.  As it is, all I see is one junta replacing another, and not taking us forward at all.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

He has his opinion, he can choose to express it in this way if he wishes, but it would benefit us all, and help counter the image of our leaders as thick northerners if he could express it clearly, logically, concisely and with supporting evidence. I'm sure he regrets how it came out, but he can't change that now. 

40 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Erm sure...

What official position do you think he holds in the game that Elstone could remove him from? 

Did I say he had a position or that his stranglehold needs loosening? Re-read it cockle. 

He may not have a title but we all truly know his opinion holds more weight than others. 

29 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

I'll agree with that bit, 100%.  But the only "fresh" ideas I have seen so far from the Junta or their employee look to be in reality just defensive plans to preserve the existing SL clubs. And the hell with anyone else. The Wood/Hetherington axis was clearly shafted with Wood's defenestration, and probably no bad thing given my loathing of Wood.  But will the game be any better off when Lenagan and his allies have fully siezed control?  Or will it just be another case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss...?"

Had Elstone been appointed as RFL CEO (instead of the very very poor appointment actually made) rather than SL CEO, then I would probably have felt considerably more optimistic.  As it is, all I see is one junta replacing another, and not taking us forward at all.

I mean, you slag off Elstone and others for wanting to elevate the games top tier but Hetherington’s dual reg idea was Super League centric and built with the intentions of boosting the Super League sides only. 

As has been noted the article is just embarrassing. If that's an attempt at journalism I think even the established RL media don't have much to fear (although the sycophantic interview I've just read with Lenagan in League Express perhaps suggests otherwise).

If Hetherington has power beyond his role as CEO and part-owner of Leeds it's because of decades of built-up credibility at Sheffield, at Leeds and his involvement with saving the RFL in the early 2000s. No one else in the game has that track record and it makes sense his voice is listened to, even if you don't agree with it.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I mean, you slag off Elstone and others for wanting to elevate the games top tier but Hetherington’s dual reg idea was Super League centric and built with the intentions of boosting the Super League sides only. 

Can you at least try and present my expressed views honestly, please?

1 - I have never “slagged off” Elstone. He is a capable, experienced professional doing the job required of him by his employers. I would draw your attention to where I lamented the fact that it was SL not the RFL that had engaged him.

2 - I never “slag off” anyone. Unlike the guy who penned that embarrassing rant of an article. I will admit to deliberately using perjorative terms like “the Junta” for effect and emphasis - in that particular case, because a small group of powerful individuals have made IMO a clear attempt to set up an alternative governance for the elite part of the game, which in turn would significantly impact on the whole game. What I DO do is attempt to present reasoned arguments in support of my expressed opinions. 

3 - My reasoned arguments against the expressed intentions of the Junta - or Lenagan and his group, if you prefer - are specifically because I do NOT see anything yet in their expressed intentions likely to “elevate” the top tier. Instead, I see -so far - a largely defensive approach more likely to protect the status quo in SL whilst damaging the rest of the game. If I thought the Junta’s plans WERE likely to “elevate” the top tier, and without that being at the expense of the rest of the game, I have said before on here I would become a fully-paid up Juntarite. Since the game sure as hell needs some radical change to avoid an imminent existential crisis IMO.

4 - I have never said that Dual-Reg was not SL-centric. Of course it is. It also provides a means for non-SL clubs to engage players they would otherwise be unable to. Which in my view distorts the competition, provides a means for non-SL clubs to avoid or mitigate at least some of what I see as their responsibilities, and ultimately may well do them no favours when DR players get pulled at short order, or when a club finds it has too few of its own players. 

5 - DR may well have been Hetherington’s idea - but I honestly did and do not know that. You appear to suggest I am supporting Hetherington in my earlier post, when in fact I stated specifically that on Reserves - and so by implication DR, since they are largely mutually exclusive IMO - I disagreed with him.

6 - I specifically said the demise of the Wood/Hetherington axis was IMO no bad thing.

7 - What you have failed to address is the point I actually made in my original post, which was criticism of the nature and tone of the headlined article. My subsequent post was merely a follow up to that.

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

just thinking back...……… was gawy leeds worst ever player? 

If that's all you can come up with childish insults it time to crawl back under the rock you came from.

Archived