Hetherington rant - ‘is it time for him to be removed’?

Awful blog. If you want to author and publish articles to the general public, maybe get someone to proof read. 

How many comas can one use? I count 9 in one of the longest one-sentence paragraphs.

The next point of argument with what Hetherington has said is his assumption that players are better developed playing in the Championship, I spoke about this in a previous article, following Hull FC Reserves around, I saw them benefit from playing against both emerging and established Super League players, what helps players develop better, is playing for their club, in their colours against players that they could easily be facing a few weeks later in Super League, not going and playing for a different team, with different players they don’t know, with different structures in place.

Back to the actual argument, I disagree with most of it. I’ve written this before too; the RFL needs to work out its structure before stating all clubs should have reserve teams. If you were, say, Wigan and had Sam Tomkins coming back from injury, would you want him playing in the Championship or Reserves to get a game under his belt before slotting back into the first team? What about if you were Hull and had signed Miloudi? Would you want him to prove himself in the Championship or Reserves before giving him a run in SL?

Work out what you want! If it’s Reserves, then you have to accept that there will be less quality players in the Championship, and the effect this could have on promotion and the quality of the product. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This hack journalist, Ian Judson, frames the article in the most combative terms.  Hetherington has a valid opinion, that the Academy produces players for the senior team, and late developing players should spend time in the Championship until they are ready.  This doesn't seem to be a very controversial position, but because of it, he is apparently "hell-bent on ruining the greatest game". 

The idea that a reserved grade is the panacea for all of RL ills, and the cause of a lack of quality players is a little too convenient. It may be one part of a broader plan, but like Hetherington says, they would be pulling players from the community game who had little to no chance of ever making it professionally.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

This hack journalist, Ian Judson, frames the article in the most combative terms.  Hetherington has a valid opinion, that the Academy produces players for the senior team, and late developing players should spend time in the Championship until they are ready.  This doesn't seem to be a very controversial position, but because of it, he is apparently "hell-bent on ruining the greatest game". 

The idea that a reserved grade is the panacea for all of RL ills, and the cause of a lack of quality players is a little too convenient. It may be one part of a broader plan, but like Hetherington says, they would be pulling players from the community game who had little to no chance of ever making it professionally.

All I would say is that to a man every ex player I have heard on the subject say a reserve grade is very important.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

A different view point could be it could be the resurgence the community game requires, for if as Mr Hetherington states and you seemingly agree with ojx SL clubs will be relient on Championship - both divisions - and the game outside the semi-pro ranks to populate these reserve teams. 

Would it not be in the best interests of the governing body to ensure there is much more effort and in that I mean more money spent in the development of future players at the grass roots level of our game. The requirement would be to put in place development officers - even in the 'heartlands', better coaches, create pathways and improoved facilities, all being conditions and processes to entice more people to take the game up. 

Mr Hetherington states that the academy player's who do not make the first team at Leeds then become a "free commodity" to other club's, once signed by Leeds no doubt a lot of time and effort has been spent on these youngsters, but they do not appear in the first place as if by magic, they have been nurtured along the way in the community, if the call is to require more, then spend in that area, don't just disregard it.

PS, I realise that Leeds themselves do a lot in this area, and I am in no way singling Leeds out for critisicm, this area of our game needs and requires a good dose of attention, the requirement of more players across all platforms will quite rightly be required if reserves are to be reinstated, it could force the professional game to wake up to their responsibilities and react, to ensure we have a sport in the future.

Gary Hetherington's stance doesn't take into consideration the feelings of fans and players in Championship and League 1 clubs. He thinks he's Henry VIII at the dinner table, chucking a few half-chewed bones to the lackeys queuing up for his largesse.

Well, I hate DR. I think it should be replaced by loan deals lasting a minimum of 3 weeks to clubs who are demonstrably short of playing staff. At the moment Bradford and York are scrapping it out for the League 1 title and it could come down to which team has secured the best ringers.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

6 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Gary Hetherington's stance doesn't take into consideration the feelings of fans and players in Championship and League 1 clubs. He thinks he's Henry VIII at the dinner table, chucking a few half-chewed bones to the lackeys queuing up for his largesse.

Well, I hate DR. I think it should be replaced by loan deals lasting a minimum of 3 weeks to clubs who are demonstrably short of playing staff. At the moment Bradford and York are scrapping it out for the League 1 title and it could come down to which team has secured the best ringers.

This DR shambles does not sit well with me when clubs are effectively playing for points, which could mean more prize money if they are fortunate enough to have the advantage of the better calibre of players on DR, conversley those clubs who don't could suffer relegation. 

Whilst I don't agree with everything Hetherington says in the article, I think he makes valid points about the complexity of development, unintended consequences and impact on the amateur game. I'm a bit split on DR, I think it can work, but not sure it does in its current guise - I would prefer the SL clubs to be linked to a more development league like C1, supporting the newer areas, rather than old historic rivals being linked. But that would probably need a ringfencing of a 'development' league and there is a risk that the standard would be much lower to the point it makes DR a waste of time.

The one point about Hetherington's comments I don't like (and this goes for many of the personalities in the game at the moment) is the comments about Ralph Rimmer. He should be referring to The RFL, rather than making this about individual personal disagreements - we are seeing it too much, people attacking GH, Lenegan, Elstone, Rimmer, Chalmers, previously Koukash, Carter, Hudgell - these things look small time and should be behind closed doors.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I don't agree with everything Hetherington says in the article, I think he makes valid points about the complexity of development, unintended consequences and impact on the amateur game. I'm a bit split on DR, I think it can work, but not sure it does in its current guise - I would prefer the SL clubs to be linked to a more development league like C1, supporting the newer areas, rather than old historic rivals being linked. But that would probably need a ringfencing of a 'development' league and there is a risk that the standard would be much lower to the point it makes DR a waste of time.

The one point about Hetherington's comments I don't like (and this goes for many of the personalities in the game at the moment) is the comments about Ralph Rimmer. He should be referring to The RFL, rather than making this about individual personal disagreements - we are seeing it too much, people attacking GH, Lenegan, Elstone, Rimmer, Chalmers, previously Koukash, Carter, Hudgell - these things look small time and should be behind closed doors.

Dave, when you refer to “what Hetherington says in the article”, are you sure you are not falling into the trap the article writer has set? Given the article is a very partisan attack on what may be selective comments from Hetherington, not an article BY Hetherington? In particular, the writer seems to me to have manufactured a so-called war with Rimmer.

Otherwse, I largely agree with what you say there. The reason I feel why we are seeing so many club owners wading in ad hominem is because of the vacuum there has been (and IMO remains, after the RFL CEO appointment) at the RFL. If there ever was a time we needed a strong RFL CEO backed by a strong board (not the invisible wonders we currently seem to have) it is surely now?

I have always suspected that Gary has been far less close to Rimmer than to Wood. I also fear that Rimmer was crowned CEO in part because he would not put up a decent fight against any seeking to wrest control of the top flight. This to me could well explain why Gary looks to be putting some pressure on Rimmer. As no doubt everyone else is, since I fear the future of the game may we’ll depend on what this IMO second-rater does.

I see the Mirror has reported Rimmer as saying he anticipates a settlement of the war within two weeks.  I guess in any settlement we will be better able to judge? (Personally, I am expecting Lenagan’s lot to largely get their way, but I would be delighted to see Rimmer prove me wrong).

EDIT: I meant Elwood had said two weeks, not Rimmer (who we can judge by who any deal most favours). My bad.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

3 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Dave, when you refer to “what Hetherington says in the article”, are you sure you are not falling into the trap the article writer has set? Given the article is a very partisan attack on what may be selective comments from Hetherington, not an article BY Hetherington? In particular, the writer seems to me to have manufactured a so-called war with Rimmer.

Otherwse, I largely agree with what you say there. The reason I feel why we are seeing so many club owners wading in ad hominem is because of the vacuum there has been (and IMO remains, after the RFL CEO appointment) at the RFL. If there ever was a time we needed a strong RFL CEO backed by a strong board (not the invisible wonders we currently seem to have) it is surely now?

I have always suspected that Gary has been far less close to Rimmer than to Wood. I also fear that Rimmer was crowned CEO in part because he would not put up a decent fight against any seeking to wrest control of the top flight. This to me could well explain why Gary looks to be putting some pressure on Rimmer. As no doubt everyone else is, since I fear the future of the game may we’ll depend on what this IMO second-rater does.

I see the Mirror has reported Rimmer as saying he anticipates a settlement of the war within two weeks.  I guess in any settlement we will be better able to judge? (Personally, I am expecting Lenagan’s lot to largely get their way, but I would be delighted to see Rimmer prove me wrong).

Yes, I can only go off what quotes are attributed to him, although the shoddy use of quotation marks does make it difficult to see where Hetherington's comments end and the 'journo's' start.

49 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The one point about Hetherington's comments I don't like (and this goes for many of the personalities in the game at the moment) is the comments about Ralph Rimmer.

Don't worry about Ralph Rimmer. From what I gained at his meeting with Bulls supporters, Ralph Rimmer has got very broad shoulders.

Not much else, mind.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

6 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Don't worry about Ralph Rimmer. From what I gained at his meeting with Bulls supporters, Ralph Rimmer has got very broad shoulders.

Not much else, mind.

Ralph has sharp elbows too, particularly effective in hospitality.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

3 hours ago, Adeybull said:

Ist para spot on imo.

I haven't read the actual original article.. Never-the-less Herthington comments if quoted accurately as distinct from rants are valid.  Probably made in response to questions from the original journalist.  I guess he could have answered no comment to everything contentious, but then some in the RL media and elsewhere push for transparency and openness.  I have no doubt if their was a settled position by all that GH would stick to whatever party line. The problem is no settled position.

As a matter of interest how many SL teams are currently running reserves given its up to the clubs themselves. 

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

just thinking back...……… was gawy leeds worst ever player? 

Do you mock every impediment that you perceive others to have?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 hours ago, Loiner said:

I bet you're the sort to laugh at people in wheelchairs.

are you saying that people in wheelchairs are not allowed to tell jokes and funny stories? therefore I am not allowed to engage with their humour? seen a few disabled comedians and they were all better than john bishop

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

are you saying that people in wheelchairs are not allowed to tell jokes and funny stories? therefore I am not allowed to engage with their humour? seen a few disabled comedians and they were all better than john bishop

I'm saying you are the sort of person to make fun of people with disabilities,with your comments about Gary Hetherington obviously proves this. I had a stroke several years ago which left me with a slight stammer maybe you think this is funny.

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

I'm saying you are the sort of person to make fun of people with disabilities,with your comments about Gary Hetherington obviously proves this. I had a stroke several years ago which left me with a slight stammer maybe you think this is funny.

no I don't. and not been able to pronounce your r properly is not exactly a life changing disability - jonathan ross has made a fortune from it.

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

no I don't. and not been able to pronounce your r properly is not exactly a life changing disability - jonathan ross has made a fortune from it.

nope ... never-the-less you may be surprised how it impacts one emotionally when younger, especially with so called joking and ultimately leading to bullying when younger.   That younger experience leads to lack of confidence, leading to disadvantage or not being able to fully take up life's opportunities like someone with more confidence.

Not everyone has that inner confidence to overcome. 

Never-the-less no doubt it isn't a major disability relative to many but can still impact.

and if you couldn't joke about it the episode of only fools and horses called "stage fright" with tony the club singer would have never been made, directly taking the p out of a youngster is a totally different thing and obviously un acceptable- some people on here need to loosen the elastic on their underwear  a bit or they will end up garrotting themselves

Archived