18 Aug: Qualifiers: Salford Red Devils v Widnes Vikings KO 3.15pm (TV)

Who will win?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Widnes Vikings
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/18 at 14:15

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you wonder where widnes are going even if they squeeze out . Repeat this again ? You wonder if the fans would rather watch them hopefully win some games challenging in the champ rather than keep going through this

Widnes are truly awful.

And yet I do feel sorry for their plight. They have done things the right way, with developing their own players and their Academy setup. In many ways they are a great example of how it should be done, by contrast to Salford with their 'first-team only' approach, bolstered by a pre-deadline Aussie signings that have made a huge difference.

Widnes really need to re-group in the Championship, preferably with a new coach (Cummins is woeful, speaking as a Bulls fan). The trouble is that the likes of Ashall-Bott and Whitley will get picked off by SL clubs.

Salford already look like they'll be in SL next year with 2 from 2 against SL opposition. But they need to start getting their act together, with an Academy and building up their fanbase... 2317 there today - hardly a SL-level attendance!

51 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s a shame in some respects because they’re giving playing time to young lads like the Chappelow’s, Walker’s and this Bott

Agree with that well said.

Fabulous Salford start to the qualifiers. If they get 4 wins does that make top 3?.  

10 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

Agree with that well said.

Fabulous Salford start to the qualifiers. If they get 4 wins does that make top 3?.  

Four wins probably gets you home advantage in the mpg (8 points).

The most likely outcome is that teams finish with 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and 0 points with the teams on 8 and 6 making up the mpg. Statistically, that is.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Good Riddance to Widnes. They've been one of the worst teams I've had the misfortune to watch in Super League. They have been garbage for the last two years plus.

They have some talented kids but apart from that are a mess of a club.

Salford have some real quality in the spine of their side but will likely have these payers poached by rival clubs. Hence they'll likely struggle this time next year. So I'm not too enthused by them being stuck going nowhere. The fact that a team in the country's top RL competition is allowed to compete without a development system (academy and/or reserves grade) makes a mockery of the competition.

38 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Widnes are truly awful.

And yet I do feel sorry for their plight. They have done things the right way, with developing their own players and their Academy setup. In many ways they are a great example of how it should be done, by contrast to Salford with their 'first-team only' approach, bolstered by a pre-deadline Aussie signings that have made a huge difference.

Widnes really need to re-group in the Championship, preferably with a new coach (Cummins is woeful, speaking as a Bulls fan). The trouble is that the likes of Ashall-Bott and Whitley will get picked off by SL clubs.

Salford already look like they'll be in SL next year with 2 from 2 against SL opposition. But they need to start getting their act together, with an Academy and building up their fanbase... 2317 there today - hardly a SL-level attendance!

Really? I disagree.

They've completely neglected the first team. It's all well and good getting youngsters through your academy and giving them a go, but they've got no where to kick in after that. Development doesn't stop when they reach the first team. With no talented players to learn from in the first team, they just come to a dead end at best. They'd be better leaving the club for the sake of their own development.

It's no good getting everything else right except the first team when it ultimately comes down to them!  People don't join your club for the comfy seats, youngsters, etc. 

I'm not saying everything should go into the first team, but something needs to!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

You've got to feel sorry for the Widnes fans if that is what they have had to put with thus season as that was a dreadful performance. Just about all of the senior players are stealing a salary. The number  of errors by the likes of Houston was shocking

i honestly can't see where they go from here other than into the Championship 

50 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Widnes are truly awful.

Widnes finished bottom two times in a row so their home grown approach is obviously not working. Who are these so-called great home grown players anyway? Still got loads of Aussies and overseas players

15 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Really? I disagree.

They've completely neglected the first team. It's all well and good getting youngsters through your academy and giving them a go, but they've got no where to kick in after that. Development doesn't stop when they reach the first team. With no talented players to learn from in the first team, they just come to a dead end at best. They'd be better leaving the club for the sake of their own development.

It's no good getting everything else right except the first team when it ultimately comes down to them!  People don't join your club for the comfy seats, youngsters, etc. 

I'm not saying everything should go into the first team, but something needs to!

I wouldn't say the first-team has been neglected 

On paper they've got some very good players. The problem is those 'senior' players have really let the club down, and simply haven't performed to any sort of level.

So I do agree that its not helpful for the young kids to go into that team - but the senior players at the club need to take the responsibility for that.

And having inadequate coaches hasn't helped either

To all you lot out there who are saying how bloody awful we are, think of us Widnes fans.

You only have to suffer it a few times a season, and can also have a laugh as your team is gifted two points.

We have to suffer it week in week out.

As for next year in the championship, with the current lot in charge I doubt little will change.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Well relieved with the win. Being a Salford fan means you are never quite sure what they will do next.

Good day all round, win for Salford, Picked up my winnings £500) and found £10 on the walk home. :)

Will miss the Toronto game as I'll be on holiday

Speaking to some chemics last week and they say that staying in SL is no good because they will be whipping boys again so they would be better off in the championship so they could actually win some games. 

2 hours ago, Rage said:

Just watched the game. You've got to feel sorry for Widnes. I can't see a way out for them. They've got some talented youngsters in that team. It's just a shame.

Problem is FC and Betts before him would rather play the old heads who have continually let the team down all year

Their go to players of Heremaia, Dudson & Houston were the ones conceding penalties and dropping the ball today. I see it every week but the coaches refuse to drop them

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

And you wonder where widnes are going even if they squeeze out . Repeat this again ? You wonder if the fans would rather watch them hopefully win some games challenging in the champ rather than keep going through this

Quite possibly, but how many of these Widnes players would be kept, for next season?  Given that their parachute payment has - as it has been claimed - to be spent on player contracts, well if so and they fail to get promoted then will they go 'bust' like Leigh? Otherwise expensive players will be cut. 

The more I think, the more I wonder whether relegation is a good thing for the game of Rugby League. We don’t have the infastructure, money or interest in the game to think relegation is a good thing. 

It might be a mainstay in Football and Rugby Union but we’re seemingly willing to drop teams because it’s the done thing here. Do we have enough quality in Rugby League to warrant promotion and relegation, or do we require teams paying their way into the Super League based on business plan and a recent history that suggests they could manage?

From what I gather, and by no means am I am expert on Widnes, their owner has done a disappearing act and they’re left in the lerch as a result, that’s not the fans or the club’s fault. 

I know lower league fans are upset about it but how many can actually think they’ll be genuine Super League candidates? It’s not viable to sustain many of the lower league teams. 

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

From what I gather, and by no means am I am expert on Widnes, their owner has done a disappearing act and they’re left in the lerch as a result, that’s not the fans or the club’s fault. 

? Do you mean steve O'Connor? If so, he hasnt left us in the lurch. Our demise is not due to ownership.

2 minutes ago, chuffer said:

? Do you mean steve O'Connor? If so, he hasnt left us in the lurch. Our demise is not due to ownership.

I had read on Red Vee that he’d moved to Australia and left Widnes in the lurch. I didn’t know if it was true. It seemed to have some sense to it after the “transfer window” closed and the best you signed was Liam Finn. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I had read on Red Vee that he’d moved to Australia and left Widnes in the lurch

steve said from early on that he would get us back into super league but it was up to the rest of the town to keep us there...he also made it clear that he didnt want to be the sole director and he encouraged other investors to come in and share the load....tbf he did what he said he'd do but the fans arent there and we're not spending on players as a consequence.....now its downward spiral as fans wont come of we're playing ###### but we cant buy our way out of the situation without paying fans

Archived