Canada Rugby League Announces Re-structured Board

deluded pom?

Several of the previous Wolverines were school teachers, specifically gym teachers too and had run into the problems Kman is having.  There were ideas on the table regarding schools but ran into the bureaucratic inertia of what guidelines did or didn't say without a higher authority willing to advise or decide one way or another.  There had been a couple of deaths and serious injuries a few years back which didn't help when 'rugby' was mentioned.

Hopefully with the increased presence of the Wolfpack a change might be more forthcoming, though it will be interesting to see if that becomes a Wolfpack driven initiative, or a Canada Rugby League initiative supported by the Wolfpack.

On 9/3/2018 at 1:01 PM, Kayakman said:

Not really arguing nothing and thanks for the info.  All I'm saying is the regulation needs to be changed, no principal teacher will touch it if not approved by OPHEA AND OSBIE (especially after that poor young lad died on the canoe trip): the OFSAA regulation needs to be changed from just rugby union to include league just to play it safe.  If they would make that very minor change it would really help and clear up any grey area for someone trying to get it started (i.e. me); thats all I'm saying.  I think that you would find that if they tried to make the change there would be major resistance from some quarters.

I still don't think you understand OFSAA's role in high school sports. There is no minor change to make since they only create sports-specific rules for OFSAA championship and festival status sports. In turn those rules only apply to schools and leagues that are competing for a berth in an OFSAA event. (Thus the reason many tier 2 sports wave transfer rules or rules in regards to combined teams.) 

For a sport to achieve festival status, it must be played by a certain number of students, schools and regions. Then any certified teacher can make an application for it to be approved for festival status. Should that succeed then members can submit a proposed set of rules to the OFSAA AGM for approval.  

There is literally nothing they can do to clear up any grey areas you perceive. You keep wanting to put the cart before the horse but that is not how it works.

2 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Several of the previous Wolverines were school teachers, specifically gym teachers too and had run into the problems Kman is having.  There were ideas on the table regarding schools but ran into the bureaucratic inertia of what guidelines did or didn't say without a higher authority willing to advise or decide one way or another.  There had been a couple of deaths and serious injuries a few years back which didn't help when 'rugby' was mentioned.

Hopefully with the increased presence of the Wolfpack a change might be more forthcoming, though it will be interesting to see if that becomes a Wolfpack driven initiative, or a Canada Rugby League initiative supported by the Wolfpack.

Good point on the rugby name.  I remember when a kid from erindale highschool (in Mississauga) died on the pitch. Can't be good for the people in charge....

You know with canada's bilingualness and Catalans recent success maybe they should try to sell it as 13 a side....

40 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

I still don't think you understand OFSAA's role in high school sports. There is no minor change to make since they only create sports-specific rules for OFSAA championship and festival status sports. In turn those rules only apply to schools and leagues that are competing for a berth in an OFSAA event. (Thus the reason many tier 2 sports wave transfer rules or rules in regards to combined teams.) 

For a sport to achieve festival status, it must be played by a certain number of students, schools and regions. Then any certified teacher can make an application for it to be approved for festival status. Should that succeed then members can submit a proposed set of rules to the OFSAA AGM for approval.  

There is literally nothing they can do to clear up any grey areas you perceive. You keep wanting to put the cart before the horse but that is not how it works.

I am the guy that basically initiated organized womens rugby in the high schools in Ontario...I personally coached and set up the first team, not only in my area but I believe the entire province....I helped set up the first festival at my school to get it approved with another teacher...we hosted the first festival and banquet and put in the paperwork (with the help of another teacher in all of it, who deserves credit because he eventually took over the lead)....for all of  the OFSAA approvals you say I don't understand

I know of what I speak....I have done it.   Nothing can move forward on the schools front until the regulation is changed (.)

21 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Good point on the rugby name.  I remember when a kid from erindale highschool (in Mississauga) died on the pitch. Can't be good for the people in charge....

You know with canada's bilingualness and Catalans recent success maybe they should try to sell it as 13 a side....

Well the French weren't allowed to use Rugby in the name for long enough so maybe a resurgence of Jeu a Treize :) Might help with getting some interest in Quebec!

On 9/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, Kayakman said:

I am the guy that basically initiated organized womens rugby in the high schools in Ontario...I personally coached and set up the first team, not only in my area but I believe the entire province....I helped set up the first festival at my school to get it approved with another teacher...we hosted the first festival and banquet and put in the paperwork (with the help of another teacher in all of it, who deserves credit because he eventually took over the lead)....for all of  the OFSAA approvals you say I don't understand

I know of what I speak....I have done it.   Nothing can move forward on the schools front until the regulation is changed (.)

Since your claims have already been contradicted by the OFSAA Manager of Sport I would say you don't know of what you speak in the case of this argument.

If your claims about starting the first festival are true then you were with Brock HS in 95. That event was run through the ORU, not OFSAA. BTW, this is not simply my memory; it is also the memory of the first OFSAA Girls Championship convenor in 2000. Here is a relevant quote from him: "OFSAA only organizes the championship. ROPSSAA [or any other region] can offer it [rugby league] as a sport."

I have hosted the OFSAA championships multiple times (and in multiple sports, including rugby) and from my hosting duties, I am aware that it doesn't provide much insight into the more esoteric side of the organization that we are debating. Hosting a Championship primarily gives you insight into running the event and the participants. Where you can gain insight is either by joining the executive or being part of the SAC. I know from sitting on the SAC the past few years that your claims about OFSAA's current role are not correct. 

Your view also contradicts the evidence of the numerous sports I mentioned previously that run in regions without an OFSAA Championship/Festival and without any supposed OFSAA approval. 

If you want to continue to claim that there is nothing a school can do until OFSAA approves a sport, and that both an OFSAA executive member and a current rugby SAC member are wrong and you're right, then please feel free to do so. You will be waiting for the rest of your coaching career when the power to start the change is actually within your control, not OFSAA's. 

On 9/4/2018 at 7:02 AM, Kayakman said:

It is clearly mentioned in the OFSAA Rules which can be viewed online.  There is no loophole.

http://www.ofsaa.on.ca/sites/default/files/rugby_boys_and_girls_2018.pdf

Ctrl+F "union"

Zero mentions. Perhaps you meant "World Rugby"?

Of course, this language only applies to the OFSAA championship and not to the individual leagues, unless they choose to copy it. Some examples where they have not:

- rolling substitutions in the various regions but not at the OFSAA championship

- 60 minute games in the various regions but 40 or 50 minute games at the OFSAA championship

- unlimited roster size in the various regions but a maximum of 30 players in the OFSAA championship

12 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

http://www.ofsaa.on.ca/sites/default/files/rugby_boys_and_girls_2018.pdf

Ctrl+F "union"

Zero mentions. Perhaps you meant "World Rugby"?

Of course, this language only applies to the OFSAA championship and not to the individual leagues, unless they choose to copy it. Some examples where they have not:

- rolling substitutions in the various regions but not at the OFSAA championship

- 60 minute games in the various regions but 40 or 50 minute games at the OFSAA championship

- unlimited roster size in the various regions but a maximum of 30 players in the OFSAA championship

13 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

Since your claims have already been contradicted by the OFSAA Manager of Sport I would say you don't know of what you speak in the case of this argument.

If your claims about starting the first festival are true then you were with Brock HS in 95. That event was run through the ORU, not OFSAA. BTW, this is not simply my memory; it is also the memory of the first OFSAA Girls Championship convenor in 2000. Here is a relevant quote from him: "OFSAA only organizes the championship. ROPSSAA [or any other region] can offer it [rugby league] as a sport."

I have hosted the OFSAA championships multiple times (and in multiple sports, including rugby) and from my hosting duties, I am aware that it doesn't provide much insight into the more esoteric side of the organization that we are debating. Hosting a Championship primarily gives you insight into running the event and the participants. Where you can gain insight is either by joining the executive or being part of the SAC. I know from sitting on the SAC the past few years that your claims about OFSAA's current role are not correct. 

Your view also contradicts the evidence of the numerous sports I mentioned previously that run in regions without an OFSAA Championship/Festival and without any supposed OFSAA approval. 

If you want to continue to claim that there is nothing a school can do until OFSAA approves a sport, and that both an OFSAA executive member and a current rugby SAC member are wrong and you're right, then please feel free to do so. You will be waiting for the rest of your coaching career when the power to start the change is actually within your control, not OFSAA's. 

I've sent you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

The strategy of attack should focus on Rugby League as a safer alternative to Rugby Union.  It would also be far easier to coach as PE teachers don't have to worry about technical things like Scrums, Lineouts, Mauls, Rucks, etc.

I thought that the Wolfpack had affiliations with Toronto Touch Rugby and Touch Canada but I don't see anything on their website.  Touch is obviously rugby league based but is still taking off in popularity around the GTA.  Several summer and winter leagues operate already, so has the potential to make it into schools.

Archived