Newcastle Away

Dave Naylor

The weekend is here again and we're off up to Tyneside for Round 22 against Newcastle Thunder.  I can't see the team being drastically different to last Sunday apart from a bit of squad rotation.

Last week's game was billed as a must-win for both clubs.  This week is an absolute must-win for us.  If our challenge for a top five is to succeed, we have to win games like this.

A win at Newcastle is certainly crucial to our play-off chances and should be another cracking game. If we win and other games results go our way, with Workington at Bradford, Hunslet at York and Doncaster up at Whitehaven, then we could be up in 3rd place by Sunday night and then, a 2 week break before Coventry at home. It will be another tough game, but I'm looking forward to it already and wishing the lads, the best of luck in bringing back the 2 points. COME ON OLDHAM!!

Yeah it's another huge game for us, a win is all that matters. A few going up for the weekend plus the usual Sunday travelling fans. Should be a good game and I have every confidence in the lads to pull this one off, we just need to be professional like last week and get the job done.

Bradford and York are safe in the top two spots and we could have a big influence on which one of those win the league in our upcoming games.

Strangely quite excited with our run in now, imho I would love to finish 5th and have a do or die go against York/Bradford. Finish 3rd and most likely away at Bradford/York in the final ( if we won the semi) could be the worst way to finish our season ( our record in finals ain't great!)

Say York finish second and we beat them in the league they will want to hammer us in the final, same with Bradford (all assuming we made the final)

I say let's go for 5th, to paraphrase....

The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Scott Naylor, The Roughyeds, and Saint Hamilton!'

Up the Yeds!

Scott looking for 'momentum'

WITH Danny Langtree and Adam Neal back to their best after injury, Oldham will be looking for their fourth win in five games at Newcastle Thunder.

Read full article

Scott names same 19-man squad

EXPECT few changes, if any, in the Oldham line-up against Newcastle Thunder at Kingston Park tomorrow (Sunday), kick-off 3pm.

Read full article

I dont travel to away games now for various reasons , age being one but good luck to Yeds tomorrow and safe journye for all those travelling up  to newcastle.

I think we will win this game , or at least the team is capable of winning this game.

24 - 18 to Newcastle.  

Sounded like a close game with nothing in it.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 minutes ago, roughyed1064 said:

Sorry but I thought this forum was all about opinions, or does this not apply in your world.(oldham forever)

Well guess what - that’s my opinion! I’m sick of biting my tongue every time we lose and you appear with a sarcastic ‘opinion’ Did you go to the game? Why do you never say well done to Oldham when they win? 

the facts play offs 4 games left.

Workington can lose 3 games

Doncaster can lose 2 games

hunslet have to win 3 games their only hard game is Whitehaven away.

if Oldham lose to York and Bradford and the above scenario happens no play off place for Oldham?

Oldham forever I said at the start of this season Oldham where a disaster waiting to happen of the pitch and on it. and to young yed when you play a totally useless scrum halve for two seasons this is where  you end up in a very sad state of affairs.

2 hours ago, Oldham Forever said:

Pathetic as always from you. Only ever come on this forum when we lose and you know fans are hurting. How very sad 

Newcastle defeating Oldham is a huge feather in their caps! Absolutely well done to them and a great gain for fans of expansion sides. That doesn't equate to being anti Oldham,its being pro Rugby League.

Appreciating a Newcastle success isn't pathetic but your comments criticising that appreciation certainly are.

10 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Newcastle defeating Oldham is a huge feather in their caps! Absolutely well done to them and a great gain for fans of expansion sides. That doesn't equate to being anti Oldham,its being pro Rugby League.

Appreciating a Newcastle success isn't pathetic but your comments criticising that appreciation certainly are.

I’m not criticising Newcastle in the slightest! Well done to them indeed! What I criticise is the fact that not once does 1064 ever say well done to us when we win! Don’t you think that’s a bit strange?! He only ever comments when we lose! 

Disappointing,very disappointing. Thought when we opened up a 6-18 gap we would push on but we went the other way. Usual criticism from the usual suspects about the half backs, but they didn't miss every tackle, drop every ball,concede every penalty. More than those two players had an off day.

Newcastle deserved the win, Ritson, Marginet and Agoro stood out in a workman-like Thunder side who took the chances when they came. Ritson looked like a fabulous player,quick and agile, Marginet very clever and pulled the strings. Mo Agoro had a stormer, seemed to be everywhere and good of him to come over to the Oldham fans at the end to thank them for their support. Top man.

Decent travelling support today up in the North East. Looks like our play off chances are hanging by a thread now, we can still make the playoffs but out of our four remaining games,2 are against the top two teams in the division. It will be difficult for us now.

Been a strange season, think some people over-estimated our chances of promotion at the start (including the bookies) and certainly under-estimated some of the sides in the top half of League 1 this year. Believe me it's been incredibly competitive in the top half of the division. Having said that I thought at best we would be in the mix for 3rd ,at the very least safe in a playoff spot.

It's not the end of the world if we stay in League 1 although some believe it will be the death of the club.

We exist on central funding in the main, we will get that next season but we need wholesale changes across the board imho. The club needs a soul search from top to bottom and a plan on how to move forward. Apparently we actually do have a "marketing" person at the club, who knew ?.

Let's finish the season and then the inquest can begin, no point having a go at individuals or the club at this stage with only 4 regular games to go. The lads don't go out to lose matches and every time they have played we have applauded them off. Not necessarily because we are happy with results, but out of respect for the effort they put in. They are the ones who get knocked about, cut,bruised and in some cases seriously injured and still have to go to work the day after!

Those players represent my club and town and for those reasons we will continue to support them wherever we play.

Archived