Belgrade - Entry to League 1

Looks like Red Star Belgrade, backed by an Australian into civil engineering businesses, is looking to enter the league and have made enquiries.  Only getting this 2nd hand, but have read bits over the last couple of years.  Anyone else heard anything?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Looks like Red Star Belgrade, backed by an Australian into civil engineering businesses, is looking to enter the league and have made enquiries.  Only getting this 2nd hand, but have read bits over the last couple of years.  Anyone else heard anything?

I've not heard anything but I hope it's true, I would very much welcome it.

Hope it isn't Red Star. A combined Belgrade yes. The bitterness and rivalry between them and Partizan would mean several Serbs unable or unwilling to play for the enemy.

Still. Would advance the cause of Toronto as a traditional heartland club no end.

21 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Hope it isn't Red Star. A combined Belgrade yes. The bitterness and rivalry between them and Partizan would mean several Serbs unable or unwilling to play for the enemy.

Still. Would advance the cause of Toronto as a traditional heartland club no end.

There is bitterness.  I worked with a few Serbs.  Some of the stories they told me were heartbreaking.  They didn’t have many good words to say about Tony Blair either!

25 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There was an article in the most recent Forty20 by a bloke who lives in Serbia who says they’ve made enquiries. I don’t know if there’s any truth in it but it seems it’s come from there. 

That was me , thats were they are aiming for

Just now, Lowdesert said:

There is bitterness.  I worked with a few Serbs.  Some of the stories they told me were heartbreaking.  They didn’t have many good words to say about Tony Blair either!

Its just Red Star , they are not big fans of the un

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There’s been very little about this other than your article. 

There’s loads of questions to be asked. What ground would they play in? What crowds do they get? What standard are they as a team?

Its a very serious bid is all i can say really ,stadium is agreed in principle ; the crowds are low but we firmly believe there will be very strong intrest in the game . The owner will be on Rugby am soon i think

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Wouldn't it be better for them to go through the French system for starters to establish what playing level they are at, and less travel expenses.Just saying

Possibly

Just now, iangidds said:

Its a very serious bid is all i can say really ,stadium is agreed in principle ; the crowds are low but we firmly believe there will be very strong intrest in the game . The owner will be on Rugby am soon i think

That would tie in in what Alex Simmonds was saying last week on Rugby am about going to Serbia to make a program

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

There has been a bit about the guy looking to get red star in to league 1.

Good luck any one trying to grow the game, but from memory this wasnt a toronto type situation and more a club who would be operating at an L1 level.

Personally I dont think L1 is functioning well as a league and would question whether it was capable of supporting an overseas club on an on-going basis and i would worry a club planning at operating at that level in Belgrade would be stuck somewhere between Scylla and Charybdis with the bigger clubs being too big for an L1 level overseas club to compete with and the smaller ones being far too small to sustain an overseas club. There is a huge distance between West Wales and Bradford, trying to fit in there would be very difficult.

They are starting at the bottom with a strong aim to succeed

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

That would tie in in what Alex Simmonds was saying last week on Rugby am about going to Serbia to make a program

They are coming soon but i think this interview has already taken place in uk

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Wouldn't it be better for them to go through the French system for starters to establish what playing level they are at, and less travel expenses.Just saying

I would imagine flights to the UK would be more readily available, but you’ve got Montpellier, Beziers, Carca, Perpignan to go at in France.

It might be feasible for Belgrade but would/could many L1 afford it easily?  Don’t forget, Belgrade would have to stump up for opposition teams 4star hotels, food, and cinema tickets.  ?

15 minutes ago, iangidds said:

They are coming soon but i think this interview has already taken place in uk

They had a brief interview with Colin Kleyweg an Aussie who is married to a Serbian lady and is involved with RSB. It seemed like a taster to a main interview when Rugby AM go to Belgrage in the near future.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived