Is Rugby League 6 or 7 tackles?

Just recently I’ve noticed that less and less attacking sets are 6 tackles and actually end up being 7. 

For example, if there is a knock-on and the opposing team collect the ball they start with a zero tackle (7 tackle set), if they return a kick they start with a zero tackle (7 tackle set) and if the ball goes dead from a kick they opposing team start with a zero tackle (7 tackle set).  There may be others I’ve missed ...

The result is that teams are making more ground and having more chance of getting into a scoring position - not necessarily a bad thing, but is it now wrong to say it’s a 6 tackle game?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Does a team returning a kick get seven tackles?

I thought the first tackle when returning a kick from general play was zero?

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are there 7 tackle sets and a free play ?

I think the first tackle from a free play is zero?

The zero tackle from a knock on was brought in I believe to reduce scrums. Why drop on a loose  ball and get tackled immediately then only have 5 useful tackles, better to leave the ball and take the scrum and have your 6. With this in mind it was decided that rather than have a scrum just call the first tackle the scrum.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I thought the first tackle when returning a kick from general play was zero?

No. If you field a kick and get tackled thats tackle one.

The only 7 tackle sets are free plays and kicks going dead/being caught in goal.

I don’t like 7 tackle sets from kick restarts . It was brought in to reduce negative kicking , but it is all encompassing and even stops teams kicking on last play ... a good attacking kick attempt or one to pin a team back has zero latitude . One roll to many or bounce on a firm track and it’s a big punishment . Same from a drop goal 

Just now, MZH said:

The only 7 tackle sets are free plays and kicks going dead/being caught in goal.

Ok, was there a period in the past where this was the case? I’m sure there was!

4 minutes ago, MZH said:

This.

As Padge said, zero tackle after a knock on was to encourage flowing play.

The only other time there is a zero tackle is if you kick the ball dead in-goal to stop teams just hoofing it out for territory of they're stuck in their own half. This tactic was beginning to creep in a few years ago.

So no, it's still very much a six tackle game. Most knock ons end up in scrums still rather than play on, and not every kick does dead in goal.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

This.

The only other time there is a zero tackle is if you kick the ball dead in-goal to stop teams just hoofing it out for territory of they're stuck in their own half. This tactic was beginning to creep in a few years ago.

So no, it's still very much a six tackle game. Most knock ons end up in scrums still rather than play on, and not every kick does dead in goal.

I never really saw the hoofing it dead thing as a big issue tbh. I dont think teams deliberately kicking dead was all that prevelant anyway, and even if they occasionally did, giving up a free 20 metres was enough already without the extra tackle.

Drilling it into touch is a more negative tactic that wastes more time and yet people will often hail it as good game management.

Just searched YouTube for the zero tackle when returning a kick in general play ...

In the 1998 SL Grand Final there was ‘zero tackle’ when returning kicks in general play.  In the 2017 GF there wasn’t, so it’s changed at some point in between!!

11 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

This.

It may be have brought in to stop a specific and relatively minor issue but it’s had big repercussions on kicking in general imo , altering the nature of the game . All kicks fall into this net . The commentator says great kick , no it’s rolled dead , seven tackles 

24 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Just searched YouTube for the zero tackle when returning a kick in general play ...

In the 1998 SL Grand Final there was ‘zero tackle’ when returning kicks in general play.  In the 2017 GF there wasn’t, so it’s changed at some point in between!!

Just had a look at the 1998 GF video and you are absolutely correct.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about can tell us when it changed.

I'm not a fan of 7 tackle sets or the free play.  It just seems to be trying to over complicate things for no benefit.  Free plays almost always seem to end in absolutely nothing except chucking the ball about for a few passes and then going to original infringement 

10 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I'm not a fan of 7 tackle sets or the free play.  It just seems to be trying to over complicate things for no benefit.  Free plays almost always seem to end in absolutely nothing except chucking the ball about for a few passes and then going to original infringement 

7 tackles are necessary to keep the game flowing after a knock on. Otherwise you'd just have a scrum. No one would want to get the ball after its been dropped as you'd lose a tackle compared to just setting a scrum.

It's not exactly complicated.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

36 minutes ago, MZH said:

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about can tell us when it changed.

Just watched some of the 2004 Challenge Cup Final and it had gone by then.  The search narrows ...

I agree on the knock-on, helps keep the game flowing rather than wait for a scrum.

I like free play and zero for that.

Other than that 7 tackles is rubbish. You can get penalised for a grubber over the dead ball that narrowly goes dead and just miss out in a try. Why? You haven't made an error as such and the penalty of giving the defender a 20m tap is more than enough.

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Having seen this post something came back to me that you got a zero tackle if the opposition kicked on the last but not if they kicked before, supposedly to encourage more running plays and discourage less kick and hope on the last. I've watched a bit of the '98 game and have only seen kicks on the last which did result in a 'zero'

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Archived