New league structure revealed

So I overall think that expanding the Championship to 14, and reducing League One is probably the right thing to do, but to move the goalposts so late in the day, with barely a handful of games left doesn't sit right with me at all - even if my club is likely to benefit hugely. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

It's also not saying much about the future of the 8s...

Not a good idea to change the rules in mid season in my opinion, it's just going to look like a stitch up to make sure Bradford get up. It will make things less stressful (and less interesting) at the top of League 1, York and Bradford's work is pretty much done.

This can only be good for rugby. As a Workington supporter ide much rather be packing my bags for a day away in Rochdale, Dewsbury or anywhere along the M62 corridor rather than the trips to London Skolars, Coventry, Hemel Etc. No offence to these clubs but there is a mountainous disparity between the top and bottom clubs in league one which has made rugby viewing for us 'boring?'. 

All for it. 

Must agree it is a tad late in the day with 5 games to go, but puts us town fans in prime position (for now at least) ?

Seriously - with 5 games to go you change the rules? At absolute worst it should at least have been sorted before the final 7 games of the Champ Shield. Rochdale v Swinton takes on a whole new dimension now.

Perhaps the Bulls did know something when they upped their season ticket prices.

Are we the only professional sport that does this? In fact, the word professional should be stripped from RL's CV.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

6 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

So I overall think that expanding the Championship to 14, and reducing League One is probably the right thing to do, but to move the goalposts so late in the day, with barely a handful of games left doesn't sit right with me at all - even if my club is likely to benefit hugely. 

I agree in principle, it is pretty rubbish to do this with just a few rounds to go. BUT, more clubs will benefit from this than be hindered, so I think it should be voted in and we can move on.

This level of paranoia over Bradford is boring. 

We have known for a while that restructures were coming in. It is highly incompetent of the whole game to leave it so late, but I suggest it is nowt to do with Bradford's league position at the moment.

1 minute ago, Bulls2487 said:

Didn't take long for someone to mention Bradford did it. 

It was a Bradford fan who mentioned it first.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Cynic in me sees this as a move to ensure Bradford come up, but then again, they've been screwwed enough times anyway haven't they. Perhaps they're due some luck.

To be honest its probably a good move. Would go with 2 or 3 up from L1 next season too. Don't like it being done so late in the day.

Where does this leave L1? 

Just now, Dave T said:

We have known for a while that restructures were coming in. It is highly incompetent of the whole game to leave it so late, but I suggest it is nowt to do with Bradford's league position at the moment.

Bradford have been in second place since...err.. Sunday at 5pm, so it would mean the RFL would have come up with this structure since then and we all know they don't work that quick!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree in principle, it is pretty rubbish to do this with just a few rounds to go. BUT, more clubs will benefit from this than be hindered, so I think it should be voted in and we can move on.

Yes, to be fair, I was thinking which clubs would vote against this? Not many I would think.

SQL Honours

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think I probably agree, but then I wonder if this change would have been suggested if it had been, say Workington and Hunslet at top of league 1.

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its really poor that we have gotten to this stage, but its also better to rip the plaster now than the alternative which is probably wasting a whole season

To some extent it also depends what SL does - suppose they decide they want 14 teams? Unlikely, I know, but possible.

14 teams will presumably mean 26 games plus possible Bash game?

It certainly seems better to drop 3 games off the schedule for clubs with limited playing squads, player welfare wise.

Archived