Only bottom club relegated

Bedford Roughyed

Makes your game against Swinton quite important?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On the surface, it seems that this proposal has not yet been ratified by the clubs, but who knows given the dark corridors of rugby league?  Certainly, the recent "noises" emanating from the new Super League cabal, including abolishing the 8's, have precipitated this ridiculously late announcement.  If the sole aim was to create a 14 team Championship (for 2019), the RFL could have proposed simply maintaining status quo and promoted the League 1 Champions & play-off winners, with no relegation this season.  Presumably to retain some jeopardy, they choose 1 down, but 3 up with, potentially, the 6th placed club promoted with Bulls & Knights. Only the RFL would attempt to go with this a few weeks to a season close and for us and Swinton at least, I hope that a final decision is reached very quickly.  We have to refocus resources to meet at least an opportunity to stay in the Championship.

I’d probably prefer to just go down with the state we’re in, Bradford York and Workington coming up are just another 3 teams likely to give us a hiding.

From what I’ve heard Massam amongst others has already gone, so already we’re looking more like a L1 team.

37 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

What's the latest then Graham ?  What a bloody fiasco

The whole thing has the smell of a leak to try and influence change, and not necessarily for the benefit of all - odd that a publication that's been against the 8s since their inception got the exclusive info? There's no meat on anything so only a fool would vote to accept it based on what's come into the public domain.

Can anyone explain who decides on this? Is it the clubs who vote on it, and if so is it a secret ballot or can we learn whick turkeys vote for christmas.

If the clubs dont get a vote why would they continue as members of an organisation that has no strategic vision. Time to break away and let the numpties have their super league plaything and as many non UK teams in it as they like.

14 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Can anyone explain who decides on this? Is it the clubs who vote on it, and if so is it a secret ballot or can we learn whick turkeys vote for christmas.

If the clubs dont get a vote why would they continue as members of an organisation that has no strategic vision. Time to break away and let the numpties have their super league plaything and as many non UK teams in it as they like.

It's likely that the clubs will get a vote - who votes what may be leaked (particularly if someone wants to stir) - but The RFL board could implement the proposals without a vote or even if voted against. Whether that would be a good idea or not in terms of confidence and unity is another thing entirely.

Well, the Cup Final is behind us, the Bank Holiday coming to a close in a week which could see major changes/ramifications to the league formats outside SL.   It is reported on the main forum that SL clubs have agreed (11-1) the proposed changes, which are now to be voted on by those clubs most affected!  Under the proposal (mainly to get a 14 team Championship),  League 1 would get only 22 league games next season, aggravating many clubs' financial situation.  Hull FC's Chairman's says (threatens?) that if the proposal isn't agreed he can see that Championship and League 1 clubs not getting as good a deal again!   Some Forum "talk" has been that this proposal may be the the first step in cutting off funds for the lower reaches in the not too distant future.     

Of course, our game with Swinton next weekend takes on much greater significance than bragging rights, should the proposal be approved.

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is of course crunch day, to put it mildly, on the RFL "proposal" to restructure RL, hopefully with a solution for the benefit of the whole game to move forward!   Linked with this is how RFL(SLE) see future money emanating from a future new tv deal with Sky is distibuted .  An article on TRL claims "the Championship and League One clubs want to retain the current percentage they receive, whether that increases or decreases". The RFL proposal sees that percentage drop if the next TV deal stays the same, and offers no guarantees (zilch ££ for Champs/L1) at all if it dips below £35 million per year in total.  

Feelings are running high if the forum is any guideline, but Swinton, Batley and Dewsbury have declared no support for the proposals, as they stand.  Naturally, pressure is being ramped up before the meeting, but this below is totally out of order if true.  Interesting to hear our club's response.  

From Matthew Shaw’s (RL World) Twitter: 

Advisory board suggest a Championship club told by their SL partner if they don't pass the vote they will lose DR, the right to use training facilities & an arranged pre-season game. Board asked if the clubs are Warrington and Rochdale, Kevin Nicholas (Batley Chair)insinuates that's the case.

A link to to today's press conference and the above question raised concerning Hornets

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/331845-video-of-championship-meeting/

15 hours ago, excolt said:

If Hornets vote with super league i will never watch them again. If Super league and the RFL split so be it. I am a 54 year supporter. 

Agreed,I'm an Oldham fan and if I found out they'd voted with superleague I'd do exactly the same. Us lower league clubs need some solidarity.

Gareth Walker reporting SL proposals passed.  They go through with no changes with a vote of about 66 -70 per cent in favour.  NCL apparently voted with SL  So I think at least two or three "lower" league clubs will have voted with them too!  Three years to next tv deal, but what next I wonder?  Well, for starters, I guess only one club Championship club relegated this season! 

Latest: Apparently the Championship and League 1 clubs are currently meeting to decide how many clubs in their leagues for next season.

Archived