Proposals

Maureen T-k

By Matthew Shaw and Aaron Bower

Proposals have been tabled to Championship and League 1 clubs to expand the Championship to 14 teams next season as part of the plans to revamp the domestic league structure – which would include three teams, rather than two, being promoted from League 1 this year to increase the size of the competition.

The RFL have levied a proposal to Championship and League 1 clubs which includes expanding the second tier by two extra teams next season and removing the current Super 8s structure.

TotalRL can reveal that while the RFL and its member clubs have not yet signed off on any league structure following further meetings this week, it is thoroughly expected to get enough votes to be passed through for next season.

If that happens, it means a number of dramatic late changes will be enforced into this year’s format in both Championship and League 1 that will have huge ramifications on both competitions. They are:

• Only the side finishing bottom of the Championship will be relegated instead of the bottom two; 11th will now survive.
  • Rather than the side finishing top – currently York – automatically gaining promotion, the side finishing second – currently Bradford – will also go straight up.
  • The play-off series including the sides finishing between 2nd and 5th will change to the teams between 3rd and 6th, with the winner gaining the third and final promotion spot.

The huge changes would mean that Bradford, who are six points ahead of third-placed Workington with four games left, would be all-but assured of automatic promotion instead of having to face a play-off campaign after York usurped them at the top at the weekend. York would need one more win to now be guaranteed of Championship rugby in 2019; given their superior points difference, the Bulls realistically would only need the same.

None of the changes would have an impact on promotion and relegation to and from Super League this year. The top three sides in the Qualifiers will be joined in the top flight by the winners of the Million Pound Game.

Im Fev and im proud

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly saves the problem of Bradford potentially missing out on a return to the Championship. It will be interesting to see how the funding is split because you assume that the teams still think they are playing for a tiered funding amount after the 8's. I wonder how that will work after this season as Im sure the Championship teams will not have accepted a cut in funding.

This could be further complicated by the situation at Leigh. Talk n their social media outlets of all the current players and most of the staff having to leave to save the club, money allegedly owed here and there, uncertainty over whether they will be able to continue to play at the LSV next year...dunno how real the likelihood of liquidation/reforming as a community club is but sounds like there is no guarantee they will be able to fulfil their place in the Championship next season at this stage.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This could be further complicated by the situation at Leigh. Talk n their social media outlets of all the current players and most of the staff having to leave to save the club, money allegedly owed here and there, uncertainty over whether they will be able to continue to play at the LSV next year...dunno how real the likelihood of liquidation/reforming as a community club is but sounds like there is no guarantee they will be able to fulfil their place in the Championship next season at this stage.

And this, Monkeymagic, is why I think your claim that you would trade in being a solid club for that of a club built on sand is clearly shown up to be a foolhardy desire. Live within your means is the moral to the story.

45 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

And this, Monkeymagic, is why I think your claim that you would trade in being a solid club for that of a club built on sand is clearly shown up to be a foolhardy desire. Live within your means is the moral to the story.

Its a difficult one, Leigh overspent but did actually make the "promised land" where as Fev overspent but never quite made it. As a fan I think I would still take boom and bust rather than watching a club just ambling on. What is the point of just existing?

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

I have never said we should just exist, I am saying we live within our means and be sustainable. Isn't that what your club did last season when they missed the 4? Or would you have preferred them to have gone out and splashed the cash instead and risk further damage to your club?

Id rather us splash the cash. Lets not kid ourselves, a battle to get in the top 4 with our only real hope of winning 1 maybe 2 games at the very best is ######. The run in is exciting to make the 4 but may as well end our season there just like a 1 up and 1 down situation will be useless to most teams if there is a team spending a shed load of cash in the division.

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id rather us splash the cash. Lets not kid ourselves, a battle to get in the top 4 with our only real hope of winning 1 maybe 2 games at the very best is ######. The run in is exciting to make the 4 but may as well end our season there just like a 1 up and 1 down situation will be useless to most teams if there is a team spending a shed load of cash in the division.

Are we 100% sure it is just the league leaders that get promoted as opposed the winner of a play off series?

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

It really isn’t , as I’d bet that even if Leigh end up in League 1, they will eventually get back into the Championship. Thus I’d still consider the risk worth it.

2 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

It really isn’t , as I’d bet that even if Leigh end up in League 1, they will eventually get back into the Championship. Thus I’d still consider the risk worth it.

Maybe as someone who runs his own business I just see things differently! Anyway, up the Rovers! 

I see Elstone denies, that  he and his crony SL chiefs  have any involvement in these proposals. I have just seen a pig fly past my window.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read the Batley chairmans report which is absolutely spot on, and quite clearly outlines the position of the clubs outside 

SL, which I whole heartily agree with. Also I believe this proposal should be put out to the supporters in the  press

I notice from the BBC rl website that MC is 1 of the 17 against the proposal, but says we are a family, but as we all know you can pick your friends but not your family. I just hope that SL will keep to their promise to look to the RL as a whole and not to their own competition 

We live in hope, that for a change we do not have  a change in the near future.

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/53433/betfred-championship-and-league--structure-

so it will be a 14 team chmpionship next year BUT am |I reading it wrong or will it be top 5 play off for chance to get into SL so not automatically the team finishing top who goes up? I'm not too unhappy with that as an outcome if its right - still gives a team like us a chance 

Archived