championship 2019

redditchbulldog

only the RFL can change the goalposts with weeks of the season to are now proposing championship will be 14 teams next season so 3 will get promoted from champ 1  top 2 and winner of play offs ( no conspiracy theory in that announce this weekend after Bulls lost and possibly would have to win promotion via play off and that they have announced signing of Jake Webster this week) and 1 team to be relegated from from championship ... and they wonder why fans are walking away from the sport... surely this should have been announced beginning of the season or announce it now ready for season 2020.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been prompted by the SL clubs insistence that the eights be scrapped. It is just a part of the proposals put to the SL chairmen following negotiations between the RFL and SLE. The RFL are too easy a target for some fans to avoid but you should look further afield to vent your ire. You might also want to ask your chairman what his opinion is of this structure.

(It is also absolutely nothing to do with Bradford's current success or failure, although conspiracy theorists will never believe that.)

If you actually stand back and consider it this proposal is actually good for our division. There will be a 27 match season with no eights for which clubs can plan properly, structure their season ticket packages, promote their commercial packages and schedule all of their matches without the uncertainties and vagaries that the eights generated. It should aso create a more competitive league (I believe that the rewards on offer next year will be different than this - no eights means no big payouts to play for, so a more equitable distribution) and will, eventually, lead to a slightly more level playing field.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Oh how it irks to agree with a Dewsbury fan but I think is is looking more likely as the outcome/structure of our league and with Bradford, York and Widnes joining the fray it could be good for our division I think

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

BJS - i agree with you all your points. its just the timing of it, this should have been decided before season started but its typical of RFL move the goalposts mid or nr end of season and they wonder why they get blasted for it..... For what its worth it will be a good thing especially if all championship clubs get even funding then all will be playing on a level playing field bar us of course :) 

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

5 minutes ago, redditchbulldog said:

BJS - i agree with you all your points. its just the timing of it, this should have been decided before season started but its typical of RFL move the goalposts mid or nr end of season and they wonder why they get blasted for it..... For what its worth it will be a good thing especially if all championship clubs get even funding then all will be playing on a level playing field bar us of course :) 

I understand and also agree with your irritation RB but the RFL isn't an autonomous body; it can act only with the agreement of its members, the most influential of whom are the SL clubs. The RFL didn't embark upon this season with ANY plans for a change in the structure in mind. It was the SL clubs, led by a small group who, part way through the season decided they didn't like the eights so appointed a new CEO to develop a new strategy based specifically upon their own needs. This is one of the results of that, not a case of the RFL moving the goalposts arbitrarily.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

This is a forum BSJ. Kindly stop ignoring conspiracies and looking at the bigger picture!

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

RFL will bend to whatever SL wants, and of....not a conspiracy, but it WILL possibly allow a team such as Bradford, York or Workington who may not win their league or win the play-off to come up, and we are jumping the gun to say that Widnes will come down. The 14 team league us clearly designed to partly replace the 8's, will give clubs 3 more home games rather than 3 or 4 8'a games. Yes, it should have had time for discussion, i.e. 2020 start.

If this is confirmed, whilst I'm not a fan of either, it seems very harsh on Swinton and Rochdale to announce this after the transfer deadline. Why not just promote 2 teams from Ch1 and have no relegation from the championship? 

Surely, that would be the fairest decision to all concerned, as they have both competed at a much higher level than a 3rd team promoted from Ch1.

This smacks of absolute Bull to me!  They just want to guarantee Bradford a place in the CH, even if they fail to do it on the playing field, it is an absolute farce!

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

This has been prompted by the SL clubs insistence that the eights be scrapped. It is just a part of the proposals put to the SL chairmen following negotiations between the RFL and SLE. The RFL are too easy a target for some fans to avoid but you should look further afield to vent your ire. You might also want to ask your chairman what his opinion is of this structure.

(It is also absolutely nothing to do with Bradford's current success or failure, although conspiracy theorists will never believe that.)

If you actually stand back and consider it this proposal is actually good for our division. There will be a 27 match season with no eights for which clubs can plan properly, structure their season ticket packages, promote their commercial packages and schedule all of their matches without the uncertainties and vagaries that the eights generated. It should aso create a more competitive league (I believe that the rewards on offer next year will be different than this - no eights means no big payouts to play for, so a more equitable distribution) and will, eventually, lead to a slightly more level playing field.

Had to get the slope into the debate ?

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

If this is confirmed, whilst I'm not a fan of either, it seems very harsh on Swinton and Rochdale to announce this after the transfer deadline. Why not just promote 2 teams from Ch1 and have no relegation from the championship? 

Surely, that would be the fairest decision to all concerned, as they have both competed at a much higher level than a 3rd team promoted from Ch1.

This smacks of absolute Bull to me!  They just want to guarantee Bradford a place in the CH, even if they fail to do it on the playing field, it is an absolute farce!

This is pure nonsense. If the RFL were so intent upon Bradford being in the Championship then they wouldn't have penalised them so much to send them down in the first instance.

34 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

This is pure nonsense. If the RFL were so intent upon Bradford being in the Championship then they wouldn't have penalised them so much to send them down in the first instance.

I beg to differ. The RFL had no option but to penalise them, Bradford should have started in league 1 after the last administration.

Why relegate a team from the CH? It just doesn't make any sense, unless they are trying to guarantee Bradford a place.

If Bradford had already guaranteed promotion and it was Workington and York for second and third, I'd bet my mortgage that there would only be two teams promoted and no relegation.

If this was SL expanding to 14 teams, do you reckon they would relegate HKR for example in favour of Halifax.... Yeah, I'm sure they would!

I have a lot of respect for you BSJ, but I have never heard such tripe in all my life!

25 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I beg to differ. The RFL had no option but to penalise them, Bradford should have started in league 1 after the last administration.

Why relegate a team from the CH? It just doesn't make any sense, unless they are trying to guarantee Bradford a place.

If Bradford had already guaranteed promotion and it was Workington and York for second and third, I'd bet my mortgage that there would only be two teams promoted and no relegation.

If this was SL expanding to 14 teams, do you reckon they would relegate HKR for example in favour of Halifax.... Yeah, I'm sure they would!

I have a lot of respect for you BSJ, but I have never heard such tripe in all my life!

I don't think either of you could be accused of talking rubish, I can see both points of view. I do however think, in the interests of fairness, and given that it will be too late for Rochdale and Swinton to do much about it, that there should be a two leg playoff between third in ch1 and 12th in the championship.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

31 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Until there is considerably more meat on the bones I don't see how anyone could decide whether to vote for or against the proposal. At tonight's Fev forum, Mark Campbell has stated that he is still fighting to keep the 8s.

Must be hoping York has a chance at SL 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

11 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Apologies if you think this is tripe but, then again, I'm not the one willing to bet my mortgage on unsubstantiated speculation. My comments have so far been based upon the facts that have been released.

The trials and tribulations of Bradford, the RFL and the other Championship clubs have been discussed to death. If you refuse to believe all of the facts that emerged from that then there is no convincing you of anything.

11 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I don't think either of you could be accused of talking rubish, I can see both points of view. I do however think, in the interests of fairness, and given that it will be too late for Rochdale and Swinton to do much about it, that there should be a two leg playoff between third in ch1 and 12th in the championship.

Up until these proposals coming to light BOTH of these clubs were preparing for life in C1 with changes to their respective budgets and staffing already being put into place. How does just one of them being relegated make it any the worse?

It might also be worth understanding that these proposals were the result of a working party of club chairmen selected from Championship and Championship1 clubs. They haven't simply emerged from the RFL in a cloud of smoke.

11 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Until there is considerably more meat on the bones I don't see how anyone could decide whether to vote for or against the proposal. At tonight's Fev forum, Mark Campbell has stated that he is still fighting to keep the 8s.

There is a lot in what you say LTS. My understanding is that these changes are substantively associated with changes in the format of SL, about which we have so far heard nothing. If those changes aren't agreed then the whole discussion might well be moot.

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Up until these proposals coming to light BOTH of these clubs were preparing for life in C1 with changes to their respective budgets and staffing already being put into place. How does just one of them being relegated make it any the worse?

It might also be worth understanding that these proposals were the result of a working party of club chairmen selected from Championship and Championship1 clubs. They haven't simply emerged from the RFL in a cloud of smoke.

My own thought on the matter is that as this is, or will be a last minute botch up, then there should be the equivalent of the million pound game (OK, they might have to call it the one pound seven shillings and two pence three farthings game or similar), to keep  interest in P and R going until the bitter end. Personally, I think it should be implemented next season anyway.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

10 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

My own thought on the matter is that as this is, or will be a last minute botch up, then there should be the equivalent of the million pound game (OK, they might have to call it the one pound seven shillings and two pence three farthings game or similar), to keep  interest in P and R going until the bitter end. Personally, I think it should be implemented next season anyway.

Isn't this scheduled for Sept 2nd?

It's a sad state of affairs to announce such details at the back end of a season. No team in championship 1 is going to catch York or bulls , so they will get automatic promotion.  If Toronto dont make it to super league this season they sure as hell will next season with 1 up and 1 down. Maybe this is why supporters are walking away from the sport they love and have watched for a lot of years, not because of the new proposals but certainly the timing of them. It would never happen in any other sport only rugby league. When you have got teams like bulls and York putting 100+ points past teams, is it any joy at all to watch  I would much rather go to a match wondering weather we would win or not.  

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Isn't this scheduled for Sept 2nd?

Not necessarily. Rochdale have already proved they can beat us, or even Sheffield. Swinton might turn over Barrow, so it's now all to play for. The club that goes down might be the one that gets the worst of their respective DR arrangements, or the one that has enough family silver left to strengthen their squad for the remaining matches. Either way, it would have made more sense to implement it for 2020, when at least everybody has had a season to prepare for it. Of course we could always do a proper restructure.  The Championship sides, plus the top eight league 1 sides, divided into two ten club divisions based, where possible, on regions (like the old Lancs/Yorks divisions). Top four from each division to form an eights for the champions shield and a crack at SL if they can prove a business case. Rest to play off for a tin cup. More derbies, less travel, more competitive - still, that's for another day.;)

George Bernard Shaw.

14 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

Not necessarily. Rochdale have already proved they can beat us, or even Sheffield. Swinton might turn over Barrow, so it's now all to play for. The club that goes down might be the one that gets the worst of their respective DR arrangements, or the one that has enough family silver left to strengthen their squad for the remaining matches. Either way, it would have made more sense to implement it for 2020, when at least everybody has had a season to prepare for it. Of course we could always do a proper restructure.  The Championship sides, plus the top eight league 1 sides, divided into two ten club divisions based, where possible, on regions (like the old Lancs/Yorks divisions). Top four from each division to form an eights for the champions shield and a crack at SL if they can prove a business case. Rest to play off for a tin cup. More derbies, less travel, more competitive - still, that's for another day.;)

Signing deadline's passed so that's not an option.

45 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Signing deadline's passed so that's not an option.

Good point - DR's it is then.

George Bernard Shaw.

59 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

Good point - DR's it is then.

Yep, and as LTS will tell you, these are also limited by the DR regulations to players who have already made a number of appearances for the "lesser" club.

I agree that it isn't fair, but when has anything in RL been fair?

Archived