New Structure

Blind side johnny

This has been coming for some time, although I think that it doesn't quite tell the whole story; we need to know the proposals for SL too.

http://www.totalrl.com/exclusive-proposals-tabled-for-14-team-championship-in-2019-with-three-up-from-l1/

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

As I have said elsewhere BSJ the timing is unbelievable- before the end of the season and in CC final week to boot (though I suppose the mainstream media will not be particularly bothered, which may be a good job for the RFL in one way as only us few C/L1 types will howl in protest) but it is Rochdale and Swinton who get the real rough deal here with winner takes all in their game - the £100,000 game?

1 hour ago, Reverend Ram said:

As I have said elsewhere BSJ the timing is unbelievable- before the end of the season and in CC final week to boot (though I suppose the mainstream media will not be particularly bothered, which may be a good job for the RFL in one way as only us few C/L1 types will howl in protest) but it is Rochdale and Swinton who get the real rough deal here with winner takes all in their game - the £100,000 game?

One  of Rochdale or Swinton get a lifeline, Your Reverence - the chance to stay up. I don't think they'll be complaining too loudly...

Fully agree with the poor timing, though. Clubs should know at the beginning of the season the criteria for promotion/relegation.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

This has been coming for some time, although I think that it doesn't quite tell the whole story; we need to know the proposals for SL too.

http://www.totalrl.com/exclusive-proposals-tabled-for-14-team-championship-in-2019-with-three-up-from-l1/

Need a lot more than that. Until there is considerably more meat on the bones I don't see how anyone (particularly a club chairman) could decide whether to vote for or against the proposal. At tonight's Fev forum, Mark Campbell has stated that he is still fighting to keep the 8s.

Edit: also said bash unlikely to happen next season due to 'dire figures'

3 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

It does kind of suggest the RFL is desperate to get Bradford back into the championship. Although I think expanding the championship is the right thing to do

Oops you've mentioned the RFL and Bradford in the same post GCHQ AKA BSJ will be along shortly to admonish you!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

19 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

One  of Rochdale or Swinton get a lifeline, Your Reverence - the chance to stay up. I don't think they'll be complaining too loudly...

Fully agree with the poor timing, though. Clubs should know at the beginning of the season the criteria for promotion/relegation.

Both of these clubs could have been budgeting for life in a lower division, as one will now get a lifeline will they have the money to compete?

53 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

Whatever the proposals, I do believe there should be a season's notice before any accepted changes are inaugurated. 

That would have been sensible, but the RFL's hand has been forced by the SL clubs.

Back to one division would be your favoured option, no doubt?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 8/24/2018 at 2:50 PM, Blind side johnny said:

That would have been sensible, but the RFL's hand has been forced by the SL clubs.

Back to one division would be your favoured option, no doubt?

Sorry to jump in here but I enjoyed the NFP. What you do with "development teams" may need some thought but if you only play some clubs the once it might be doable.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Ackroman said:

Sorry to jump in here but I enjoyed the NFP. What you do with "development teams" may need some thought but if you only play some clubs the once it might be doable.

Actually I meant the real "one division" from which somebody won an unlikely Championship in 1973.

• 2 weeks later...

To get to a 14 team Betfred Championship at the end of this current season two teams from Betfred League 1 will be promoted. As has always been planned this season, the team finishing top of League 1 will be automatically promoted.

“Teams 2 to 5 will then play semi-finals with the winners of the Promotional Final being promoted. The final place in the Betfred Championship for 2019 will be decided by a Play-off Final between the team that finishes bottom of the Championship Shield and the loser of the Promotional Final.

Interesting stuff, certainly adds a bit of spice ....

We should have given them the challenge cup .Gone back to northern rail (what ever} the final being played as a curtain raiser to the final.At least may be a hint of glory for  lower teams.The 12 super league plus the championship qualifiers for the challenge all the rest and the non league outfits for the other compietion.

1 hour ago, EQUALIZER said:

We should have given them the challenge cup .Gone back to northern rail (what ever} the final being played as a curtain raiser to the final.At least may be a hint of glory for  lower teams.The 12 super league plus the championship qualifiers for the challenge all the rest and the non league outfits for the other compietion.

And with planning like this the game would be thriving.

11 minutes ago, EQUALIZER said:

And your solution is ,????

his Solution....an early night....zzz

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

7 hours ago, EQUALIZER said:

And your solution is ,????

Define the problem.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Define the problem.

The SL tail wagging the dog

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

On 9/15/2018 at 3:17 PM, Piggy's mate said:

The SL tail wagging the dog

I wouldn't like to see your dog PM if it is 90% tail.

From what I have seen on the Swinton Lions Facebook page is that should we stay up this season that we will face a reduction in central distribution funding of about £40K in 2019 and further cuts in 2020.I will assume that this will also apply to yourselves and the doggies as well which frankly is an absolute kick in the balls and the teeth for us all.

Or to translate it into English they the new”governing” body or should I say the Limited company and their individual directors will want it all when the next TV contract is up for renewal and they are by the looks of it are running the Championship and Championship 1 clubs down until some of them die which I am afraid will happen.And it baffles me that certain Championship and Championship 1 clubs voted for this and let me say all credit to Dewsbury and Batley for joining with us in voting against it.

I think this is going to be very much a case of we will all need to batten down the hatches and we will all have to think differently and outside the box if clubs like ours are going to survive and have a future.There is now a much bigger battle that we must all face together.The divisions in which our respective teams are in will soon be irrelevant.

Archived