Bravo BBC

Yes - no prevarication, just the truth.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

As regards the coverage in general, I was a little worried by the opening segment, but it soon got down to business, and gave us the French feature, a trip down memory lane with previous finals, a plug for PDRL, a half-time segment about Lance Todd, a chat at Kevin Brown's cafe and a well-presented afternoon of TV overall.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I forgot to mention the 'Eurotrash' copyright-violating bits with David Ginola. :biggrin:

Just watching BBC Sportsday, and the final has, astonishingly had a mention in the initial headlines.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

These are the types of features that the BBC do really well when they put their mind to it 

It helps that the game has such a rich history 

It also helps that unlike Sky the BBC understand that the game existed before Super League

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

These are the types of features that the BBC do really well when they put their mind to it 

It helps that the game has such a rich history 

It also helps that unlike Sky the BBC understand that the game existed before Super League

...and they have a fabulous archive of footage that they don't have to pay Sky for.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Excellent fillers, that's what they were, drawing attention to Rugby League Fans about what they were aware of anyway.

Great Lance Todd stuff, great Junior RL shots, other stuff fillers.

Why are RL commentators using hand mikes when the rest of BBC Sport using ear/cheek mikes? Looks very 1970's

4 hours ago, bromleybulldog said:

Well done to BBC (I know we don't say this very often!) but the pre-game feature on French RL and the Nazi/Vichy connections to RU and the injustices suffered by RL have for far too long been hidden away. Hope this gets a lot more publicity!

I give Aunty some merited stick but top notch all round today!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

This type of coverage is something The BBC has always done better than the other stations.

Imagine what one SL game per week would do for the sport....

No doubt Elstone and the brain trust at SLE are all over this and won't hide us away exclusively on Sky next time.

A cut in Sky money for loss of exclusivity that would far outweigh what we'd get from the Beeb? Tell the club chairmen that and watch the ostrich effect in action. :wink:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

A cut in Sky money for loss of exclusivity that would far outweigh what we'd get from the Beeb? Tell the club chairmen that and watch the ostrich effect in action. :wink:

True, sky wouldn't like it, but I'm sure sponsors and pitch side advertisers would enjoy a ten fold increase in viewers.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:33 PM, bromleybulldog said:

Well done to BBC (I know we don't say this very often!) but the pre-game feature on French RL and the Nazi/Vichy connections to RU and the injustices suffered by RL have for far too long been hidden away. Hope this gets a lot more publicity!

I’m guessing we have a lot to thank Dave Woods for todays emphasise on the shocking history of French RL. Bringing this to the attention of a wider audience is something he would relish and shows how important his appointment as the BBC’s first full time RL correspondent has been

3 minutes ago, Yosser said:

I’m guessing we have a lot to thank Dave Woods for todays emphasise on the shocking history of French RL. Bring this to the attention of a wider audience is something he would relish and shows how important his appointment as the BBC’s first full time RL correspondent has been

What we actually got was a bit of everything, guaranteed that some of it would please almost everyone... apart from the sport's perennial Eeyores.

We had something serious about France, a bit of a nostalgia clip-show of previous finals, some silly stuff with David Ginola, some chat with the pundits, behind the scenes access to the two clubs' changing rooms, a bit of human interest stuff about Kevin Brown's life outside RL, Adam Hills promoting PDRL and some other items too.

Basically, a bit of everything, short of a monologue from Chris Irvine about how the game is close to oblivion and everything's worse than it has ever been ever.

Good stuff.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It was a bit disappointing that the radio coverage was on Five Live Sports Extra rather than the main Five Live but it was perfectly decent and carried a lot of enthusiasm. When I did turn over to Sports Report they were bigging up the result and what it meant ... but then it was back to soccer.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived