Time to move Challenge Cup away from Wembley

Why just because we have an inept governing body. How about instead of walking away from years off tradition the game takes the challenge on. I'll hold my hands up, I use to be a regular neutral attendee but have not been since 07 with the date being a major factor. The game needs to ask the questions and take action before they up sticks. And why white heart Lane?? I'm sure it's nice but I along with most fans people have no connection or even ever care about visiting. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

RL just can't fill the stadium anymore. The new White Hart Lane stadium is my preference. 

Having never been there? 

Its doesn’t need to move stadiums, just dates.

Bank Holiday in May or first weekend as it always was. Make it an early season comp. And finish with the play-offs. Incentivise with previous seasons placings and a bigger wad for winning it and clubs will soon buy in.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

No. No. No. No. No. No. And no!

Retreating to smaller stadia is a total cop out and avoids us as a sport having to do the difficult things like grow and market the game successfully. Totally backwards thinking.

What we should be doing is capitalising on the back of the superb game we've just watched with excellent coverage, and start the process of selling next year's final now, not resort to plan X, Y and Z in 11 month's time.

RL just can't fill the stadium anymore. The new White Hart Lane stadium is my preference. 

Next year's final will have an attendance well above the capacity of the new White Hart Lane stadium. Why would we want to limit it?

Happy for you to bookmark this and tell me I am wrong next year if I am.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

No.

Next insane theory, please.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The moment we knew Catalans were in the final, every doomsayer and Twickers-bot has been enthusiastically suggesting that we dismantle one of our greatest showpiece events of the season, and the one that's on FTA TV.

Think small, get small.

But if you get well-supported UK clubs in the final and you get a big crowd, the same people moan about seeing the same old names in the final.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Nope not at all, it was an amazing game but it's not good to see a sea of red seats. Not good for the image of the sport. 

Is the suggestion of White Hart Lane really thought through though?

Wembley is the national stadium.  All the players want to play at Wembley.  We have our own statues of great players and a tradition of great games played there.  

The issue of a smaller crowd this year will need to be dealt with by the RFL in future.  Hopefully they will now realise that failing the plan......and all that, isn’t an option anymore.  But, jump to another stadium.  Nuts.

38 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The moment we knew Catalans were in the final, every doomsayer and Twickers-bot has been enthusiastically suggesting that we dismantle one of our greatest showpiece events of the season, and the one that's on FTA TV.

Think small, get small.

But if you get well-supported UK clubs in the final and you get a big crowd, the same people moan about seeing the same old names in the final.

Last year Hull vs Wigan attendance 68,525. The Challenge Cup and/or Wembley is not the big pull it used to be.

Personally I would see how changing it to May impacts before really considering to change venue.

As to players wanting to play at Wembley... well all players want to play at Old Trafford too... Providing its an iconic stadium that in its self will build a new tradition where ever the CCF went- the logic would suggest moving GF to Wembley but that would be a nuts idea.

Anyway I prefer it to be at Wembley and give a chance by moving to May, and investing more in making it the must see Final.  Then if that makes no difference surely one has to reconsider.

7 minutes ago, GansonTheClown said:

Last year Hull vs Wigan attendance 68,525. The Challenge Cup and/or Wembley is not the big pull it used to be.

Then move it to June/July, so it is before the school holidays and there's a more even gap between Magic Weekend and the GF. It lets people spread out their spending and travel plans better. And no, a May final hasn't been good for the Challenge Cup since the move to Summer Rugby, so forget that.

That's a better idea than killing off the iconic and traditional Wembley final, because if you support that idea, you may as well get into bed with Inverdale, Wiggy Jones and the rest of the RFU's lickspittle trolls.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

38 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Is the suggestion of White Hart Lane really thought through though?

Wembley is the national stadium.  All the players want to play at Wembley.  We have our own statues of great players and a tradition of great games played there. 

Exactly. You may as well play it in Sunderland as go to Tottenham.

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Then move it to June/July, so it is before the school holidays and there's a more even gap between Magic Weekend and the GF. It lets people spread out their spending and travel plans better. And no, a May final hasn't been good for the Challenge Cup since the move to Summer Rugby, so forget that.

That's a better idea than killing off the iconic and traditional Wembley final, because if you support that idea, you may as well get into bed with Inverdale, Wiggy Jones and the rest of the RFU's lickspittle trolls.

Being outside of term time makes it impossible to run ticketing schemes through schools and junior clubs.

absolutely not, its always the the people who don't go that are the biggest moaners ask the 5000 catalan fans who were there today if they would go again.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

The cup has been in serious decline for about 20 years. There are a multitude of reasons for this some within the game and some outside of it. Until very recently, the final has been exempt from the decline of the other rounds simply because it was an occasion.

Wembley has been a bad venue for the final since it was reopened. As soon as you have empty seats they stand out like a country mile, far more than any other stadium I can think of. The problem of Club Wembley meant we always had significant empty seats in high profile places. I think this has a subtle effect on the image of the event; people don't want to be associated with failing events which is RL's biggest current problem in a nutshell.

However, moving away from Wembley will simply accelerate its decline. Hopefully next year we get a big high profile final that would get close to filling it, a Wigan-Saints or a Hull KR-Hull FC. Something that will give the impression that things aren't on their way down.

By moving the game away from it's natural home in the nations capital since the 1920's you will be sending the final signal to the British sporting public and broadcasters that Rugby League is now a C Grade sport not worthy of their attention.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived