Belgrade apply to enter 2019 Challenge Cup

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I wonder whether they've been looking at Toronto's marketing. Either way, it's a really good effort.

They are connected to a marketing company, these people are no mugs and they are successful business people

Quite a contrast to what’s going where I live in Montenegro, the players that played the first ever game of league are now been threatened that they won’t be allowed to play Union ! All they want to do is play rugby !

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

Quite a contrast to what’s going where I live in Montenegro, the players that played the first ever game of league are now been threatened that they won’t be allowed to play Union ! All they want to do is play rugby !

You are joking! I refuse to believe such a thing would ever happen! FAKE NEWS!

24 minutes ago, iangidds said:

The old “If you play rugby league against our wishes we’ll force you to only play rugby league“ trick!

52 minutes ago, iangidds said:

The #### never change their spots.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 8/27/2018 at 8:10 PM, Pigeon Lofter said:

Yep. I live on the South Coast and several towns down here are loaded with Central and East Europeans.There must be other huge population settlements around the country too with high numbers of East European migrants. They would turn out in droves to proclaim their national identity and support a team from their home country (IMO).

From a PR and publicity POV this application should be encouraged by RL supporters.

They took a massive away following to Salzburg last night for their champions league qualifier.

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Anyone know if there are restrictions on their entry i.e. they have to play all games away until they reach a certain round.

I hope not - would be a great experience for any side playing in Belgrade. I guess it depends on if Red Star foot the travel bill.

4 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

What round will they enter?

My guess is, 'til we know their level, they'll come in very early at first. And I hope the BBC will be enthused by the novelty enough to livestream their first Cup tie.

If they look really strong against that sort of opposition, maybe the rules will be adjusted and they'll get a later entry and maybe home ties. But, while they are a powerful and aggressive team, they are also a bit naive (especially in defence), so it might not change for the first few years.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Superb news, went over to photograph the 2013 World Cup Qualifiers, Serbia played Russia in the dead rubber and Italy played Lebanon in the main event, was blown away by the quality of facilities and enthusiasm for the game.  Had the great pleasure to see a game of touch being played in the shadow of the castle on the Sunday morning, a regular event apparently.

Great to see them putting a team up for the Challenge Cup.  If you need a biased photographer guys, I've got my Red Star Rugby League hoodie and surprisingly it still fits!

46 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I hope not - would be a great experience for any side playing in Belgrade. I guess it depends on if Red Star foot the travel bill.

Great city and now the Serbian RL own / run a city center hotel /hostel to house visiting teams. 

Archived