Rimmer speaks

Well not publicly anyway it seems, after all his time at the RFL and his time as acting CEO and now CEO it seems astonoshing Ralph has nothing to say to us all?

Surely when a man who has been in waiting for such a long time must have a pre prepared statement on his vision for the game ? Ive seen or heard nothing at all.

The only crappy thing i heard is he said he would like to see a reserve grade,what a cheap easy statement that was

Well, when the SL, and SKY, decides what happens to the future of RL and not the RFL, what would you like him to say? As for having a reserve league, I agree 100%.

It's the old. 'If I don't say or do anything I can't be held responsible for anything' tactic as opposed to the say and do what you want and deny everything because the idiots out there will have forgotten a la Trump way. I always think people get what they deserve which is true in one case but what the hell must we have done, even in a previous life, to deserve Rimmer et al ?

58 minutes ago, TMF said:

Well, when the SL, and SKY, decides what happens to the future of RL and not the RFL, what would you like him to say? As for having a reserve league, I agree 100%.

Its not a problem to say you agree with reserves, what we need is leading into the light and looking to his great vision that got him the job

7 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Its not a problem to say you agree with reserves, what we need is leading into the light and looking to his great vision that got him the job

But what 'power' do you think he has to lead us into the light? It's either break away or do what the two 'powers' say. What do you want? By the way, I hate both powers.

Rimmer is the head of the governing body of RL , so therfore that makes him the leader of our sport as a whole; i would like him to set out his vision for the future and how he plans to grow the game in terms of participation, sponsorship and revenue etc etc . Is that too much to ask?

15 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Rimmer is the head of the governing body of RL , so therfore that makes him the leader of our sport as a whole; i would like him to set out his vision for the future and how he plans to grow the game in terms of participation, sponsorship and revenue etc etc . Is that too much to ask?

Well in the case of Rimmer based upon the weeks passing since he was acting and now actual I guess the answer is..... yes. it is too much to ask.

oh, apart from him thinking that talking to Hearn is a strategic move .... 

54 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Rimmer is the leader of our sport? You really do need to get out a bit more. Unbelievable.

What do you want him to say? 

If he comes out and reacts to Robert Elstone’s appointment speech, he’s then drawn into a debate that doesn’t really exist because Elstone made comments that were incredibly premature. 

If Rimmer says nothing and goes about his business quietly (if that’s what he’s doing) then people moan about him and say he should be saying something. 

As I have said elsewhere, if Rimmer was the answer, God only knows what on earth was the question?

Last time I recall Rimmer sticking his head above the parapet, was when he elected to address a Bulls fans' forum. As Sir Humphrey would say on "Yes, Minister", "brave decision..." I suspect he expected he would be able to blag his way through, and come out looking the good guy?  Instead, he got absolutely, totally mullered by the fans, who are all too aware of what the RFL's "help" did for the club.

I wonder if that experience has put him off appearing above the parapet ever since? Just stick to Buck House garden parties and Royal Boxes at Wembley, and all will be just fine...

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What do you want him to say? 

If he comes out and reacts to Robert Elstone’s appointment speech, he’s then drawn into a debate that doesn’t really exist because Elstone made comments that were incredibly premature. 

If Rimmer says nothing and goes about his business quietly (if that’s what he’s doing) then people moan about him and say he should be saying something. 

Er...the debate DOES really exist. Because Elstone's statement on his appointment CREATED the debate.  He should have kept his gob shut and allowed the process to continue to proceed in private.  Or, more to the point, his employers should not have told/encouraged him. The whole POINT of Elstone's statement was clearly to attempt to bounce the game into a course of action, and to pre-empt any effective counter. Rimmer should have said - immediately - that Elstone and the cabal were out of order. Or, more to the point, two-hats-look-at-me-I-am-invisible Barwick should have.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

I think the above points prove what i'm saying. Rimmer...can't....do...anything! The RFL...can't....do....anything! If anybody thinks different, please feel free to say here what they can do. I look forward to the response.

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

It shouldn’t be, but he’s a puppet. I’d love to know what vision for the game he gave during the interview process 

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It shouldn’t be, but he’s a puppet. I’d love to know what vision for the game he gave during the interview process 

"How high do you want me to jump. Mr. L sir?"?

7 hours ago, TMF said:

Rimmer is the leader of our sport? You really do need to get out a bit more. Unbelievable.

Ok , so you think its fine for Rimmer to be head of the RFL who govern the game at all levels and he says nothing ? Maybe he is quitely working away on things but I for one would like to know where he wants the game to go and how hes going to do that ; yes SL brings in the money but there is a hell of a lot more to the game than SL you know.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Just a thought but would it be worthwhile starting a petition for his removal? I’d imagine it would generate some momentum 

Don't think that would be advisable:

1 - If he has a similar package to Wood, the severance payment could kill the RFL - especially since we see they have recently had to mortgage all their properties, presumably to borrow money to stay in business, and their last published accounts showed it would be hard to absorb a cash loss on the scale of the reported 2017 accounts loss?

2 - Who would be responsible for replacing him? The same invisible non-execs who appointed/crowned/folowed instructions/drew lots/whatever to give us Rimmer?

3 - How would you ensure that THIS time we got someone like an Ellwood rather than meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss?

4 - If the SL Junta were happy to see the coronation of Rimmer, or even engineered it (I have no evidence one way or the other, so it is just going through possibilities) then there is no way on this planet they would allow another defenestration.

I fear we are curently stuck with running with what we have.

1. Ralph Rimmer is never going to stand up against the Superleague junta. The best option for lower league clubs is to set up their own league.

2. If Toronto get into Superleague, presumably they will get a cut of the Sky money and fetch next to no supporters and negligible gate money to games in the UK . If Catalans, Toronto and Catalans are all in a near-future Superleague, the competition will be in serious financial trouble. I can't see Mr Rimmer being the man to sort it out.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

11 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

1. Ralph Rimmer is never going to stand up against the Superleague junta. The best option for lower league clubs is to set up their own league.

2. If Toronto get into Superleague, presumably they will get a cut of the Sky money and fetch next to no supporters and negligible gate money to games in the UK . If Catalans, Toronto and Catalans are all in a near-future Superleague, the competition will be in serious financial trouble. I can't see Mr Rimmer being the man to sort it out.

Serious trouble because these sides won't bring a couple of bus loads to Castleford on a Friday night? Away supporters have been travelling along the M62 on supporters coaches for decades - the clubs have become reliant on lazy cash. 

If Catalans, Toulouse and Toronto manage to help to secure French and North American TV deals - how many coach loads of supporters does that equate to?

If SL clubs find themselves relying on travellling support to survive, then their competition would truly be in deep trouble.

Just do the maths on x lower away support times y net (financial) contribution per supporter times z "poorly-supported"games.  Say x = 1000 (generous...) y = £15 net of VAT (generous) and z = 8 (including looby-loo loopy fixtures and play-offs etc)(generous) then the net income lost is £120k p.a.

If that is what stands between (some) SL clubs and financial difficulty, such clubs are in financial straits anyway. And if clubs like Wigan (from comments made by or attributed to Lenagan) are concerned at insufficient away support, maybe they should be looking closer to home for some responses?

13 hours ago, iangidds said:

Ok , so you think its fine for Rimmer to be head of the RFL who govern the game at all levels and he says nothing ? Maybe he is quitely working away on things but I for one would like to know where he wants the game to go and how hes going to do that ; yes SL brings in the money but there is a hell of a lot more to the game than SL you know.

ian, you're obviously a great supporter of the game as are we all, but the RFL only govern the sport up to Championship level. You need to realise that, as most people do. Supporting a club who will never get in SL as it stands, yes, I know there is a lot more to the game. The way forward is to demand of the SL an answer to this question. Do you want an exclusive competition, with the focus on continental expansion as a way of enhancing that competition and to hell with the rest? Or do you see an embracing structure giving hope to the historical heartland clubs that one day they may just be able to rub shoulders with the elite? That is the problem Rimmer has and if the answer to the question is the former, there's not a lot he can do or say.

Well a simple example is the England v NZ Anfield change.  It is a major embarrassment all-be-it unintended. 

One would expect a CEO of a organisation to front the Press Release and apologise for the any inconvenience to fans that have already brought tickets.    

Also announcing that if due to now not be able to attend the game they will be recompensed.

I guess that would show the minimal of leadership.

We would expect similar from a business that caused problems to customers. 

21 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Well a simple example is the England v NZ Anfield change.  It is a major embarrassment all-be-it unintended. 

One would expect a CEO of a organisation to front the Press Release and apologise for the any inconvenience to fans that have already brought tickets.    

Also announcing that if due to now not be able to attend the game they will be recompensed.

I guess that would show the minimal of leadership.

We would expect similar from a business that caused problems to customers. 

This is what should be happening.  If he got into the habit of communicating it would make perception of the RFL and his role a whole lot better.  Just giving details on a decision, why it was made, what the future plans are etc.

Harsh thing to say, but those sideburns made him look like a rag and bone man.  I see he shaved them off for the CCF.  

Archived