Rimmer speaks

1 hour ago, TMF said:

ian, you're obviously a great supporter of the game as are we all, but the RFL only govern the sport up to Championship level.

Not wholly true - only true up to a point.

The RFL is the governing body for the WHOLE sport.

The Articles of Association of the RFL and of SLE set out which areas regarding the SL competition are wholly within the remit of the RFL, which ones SLE can determine and which ones require both to determine.

The RFL has more power regarding key aspects of the SL competition than I suspect many people realise. Should they choose to exercise them, and provided nobody siezes them from them.

For example, under the Articles (the constitution and rules) of SLE:

Article 3.3 (a) - The RFL has exclusive rights to determine "membership of and criteria for membership of the Super League".

Article 3.3 (f) ditto the "Fixture list for the Super League".

Article 3.4 (a) The member clubs of SL can determine by simple majority "the number of clubs to play in the Super League" - but only with the approval of the RFL.

Article 3.4 (b) ditto "The Super League Salary Cap Regulations".

Article 3.5 (various sub-clauses) empowers the SL clubs alone to enter into a "Primary Broadcasting Agreement" and a "Titular Sponsor Agreement", to determine "the number of rounds to be played in any one season of the Super League" and "the format of the Super League"

Article 3.5 (e) is perhaps the most interesting, as it empowers the SL clubs to determine "allocation of central television revenue and distribution of any surpluses and/or pnze money which are declared to be payable by the [SLE] Board..."

This is in the constitution of SLE. Any additional terms in e.g the Sky broadcasting agreement to which the RFL is a party, with right of veto for the RFL as we are told the RFL have, would seem to be in conflict with Article 3.5(e).  However, all parties must have been happy that there was no conflict, as part of their due dilligence before entering into the agreement.

The gist of all the above is that the RFL effectively has the final say on promotion, relegation, number of SL clubs and licensing under Article 3.3(a) and Article 3.4(b). SLE appears to have the final say on how the TV etc monies are distributed (subject to any separate agreement that is not in conflict with the Articles) and how the competition is structured (e.g playoffs, eights, looby lou loopy fixtures...)

Maybe this might clarify things a bit? And maybe surprise a few people (in both camps)?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

38 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Not wholly true - only true up to a point.

The RFL is the governing body for the WHOLE sport.

The Articles of Association of the RFL and of SLE set out which areas regarding the SL competition are wholly within the remit of the RFL, which ones SLE can determine and which ones require both to determine.

The RFL has more power regarding key aspects of the SL competition than I suspect many people realise. Should they choose to exercise them, and provided nobody siezes them from them.

For example, under the Articles (the constitution and rules) of SLE:

Article 3.3 (a) - The RFL has exclusive rights to determine "membership of and criteria for membership of the Super League".

Article 3.3 (f) ditto the "Fixture list for the Super League".

Article 3.4 (a) The member clubs of SL can determine by simple majority "the number of clubs to play in the Super League" - but only with the approval of the RFL.

Article 3.4 (b) ditto "The Super League Salary Cap Regulations".

Article 3.5 (various sub-clauses) empowers the SL clubs alone to enter into a "Primary Broadcasting Agreement" and a "Titular Sponsor Agreement", to determine "the number of rounds to be played in any one season of the Super League" and "the format of the Super League"

Article 3.5 (e) is perhaps the most interesting, as it empowers the SL clubs to determine "allocation of central television revenue and distribution of any surpluses and/or pnze money which are declared to be payable by the [SLE] Board..."

This is in the constitution of SLE. Any additional terms in e.g the Sky broadcasting agreement to which the RFL is a party, with right of veto for the RFL as we are told the RFL have, would seem to be in conflict with Article 3.5(e).  However, all parties must have been happy that there was no conflict, as part of their due dilligence before entering into the agreement.

The gist of all the above is that the RFL effectively has the final say on promotion, relegation, number of SL clubs and licensing under Article 3.3(a) and Article 3.4(b). SLE appears to have the final say on how the TV etc monies are distributed (subject to any separate agreement that is not in conflict with the Articles) and how the competition is structured (e.g playoffs, eights, looby lou loopy fixtures...)

Maybe this might clarify things a bit? And maybe surprise a few people (in both camps)?

Adeybull. I appreciate the time and effort into your reply and technically you are correct. But this doesn't digress from the fact that chairmen of the SL clubs, meeting and agreeing with SKY what the formats, fixtures, big bash, super eights, international games, television rights, kick off times, etc. They decide what happens in our sport. It's my opinion that you are quoting what should happen but doesn't. And I agree. You say the RFL has the final say? Let's see the RFL tell the SL how the future is going to be. I don't think so.

15 minutes ago, TMF said:

Adeybull. I appreciate the time and effort into your reply and technically you are correct. But this doesn't digress from the fact that chairmen of the SL clubs, meeting and agreeing with SKY what the formats, fixtures, big bash, super eights, international games, television rights, kick off times, etc. They decide what happens in our sport. It's my opinion that you are quoting what should happen but doesn't. And I agree. You say the RFL has the final say? Let's see the RFL tell the SL how the future is going to be. I don't think so.

You have just explained, very effectively, why I refer to what has happened since Wood’s defenestration as a coup, and why I refer to the perpetrators as the Junta. And I would draw your attention to my words “...should they choose to exercise them, and provided nobody siezes them from them”. I chose my words with care. Because, since they got rid of Wood, and replaced him with Rimmer, you are right.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

11 hours ago, TMF said:

ian, you're obviously a great supporter of the game as are we all, but the RFL only govern the sport up to Championship level. You need to realise that, as most people do. Supporting a club who will never get in SL as it stands, yes, I know there is a lot more to the game. The way forward is to demand of the SL an answer to this question. Do you want an exclusive competition, with the focus on continental expansion as a way of enhancing that competition and to hell with the rest? Or do you see an embracing structure giving hope to the historical heartland clubs that one day they may just be able to rub shoulders with the elite? That is the problem Rimmer has and if the answer to the question is the former, there's not a lot he can do or say.

I appretiate its a difficult situation but there is so much he can say surely ? Alot of us want to hear positive things or even an apology over the Liverpool fixture ; i find it strange that there is no real news or outline of his plans. SL hold alot if the cards i do know and maybe rightly so as Woods and Co seem to have driven the game down a dead end

21 hours ago, Scubby said:

Serious trouble because these sides won't bring a couple of bus loads to Castleford on a Friday night? Away supporters have been travelling along the M62 on supporters coaches for decades - the clubs have become reliant on lazy cash. 

If Catalans, Toulouse and Toronto manage to help to secure French and North American TV deals - how many coach loads of supporters does that equate to?

Yes, but how much money will Superleague and the RFL get out of those deals?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Yes, but how much money will Superleague and the RFL get out of those deals?

Well the SL and RFL either wants to brings these clubs into the family, grow the sport and grow the wealth? Or it wants to treat them like outcasts, not give them a vote on important issues and let them create their own wealth?

Actually the reality is that the RFL and SL want a hybrid that suits them - treat them like outcasts, not give them a vote on important issues yet expect a share of the wealth they may create down the road. 

Archived