Now Featherstone with 15!

44 minutes ago, ravens88 said:

This is in short why I have a tough time taking Rugby League seriously.

The petty and small minded thinking that many RL clubs approach their team frustrates me no end.

Featherstone relying on being Leeds poodle is not good for both parties. 

Leeds just dump players not good enough for their 17 and Fev have no incentive to develop their own players as they can rely on the scraps from Leeds.

Hence Fev are stuck in a short term mindset and they look foolish when they only have 14 players.

Don't really care that they beat Leigh who've had their firesale of players.

It's bordering on bringing the game into disrepute as it makes RL looks cheap and disorganised. 

Reserve grade isn't so much about playing games but about developing players skills and abilities. 

Agree with most of this

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm not sure that a team shipping 62 points at home  - with their opponents having to take off both their half backs early to avoid the score becoming even more embarrassing - does anything for the credibility of the competition either, but sometimes this sort of stuff happens in sport.

There’s a massive difference between a team getting hammered and one of the top clubs in the division not being able to get a team together.

I don't think anyone disagrees that a professional team fielding 14 is players is unacceptable. Making emotionally driven statements about the clubs involved will always illicit an emotional response back, this shouldn't be a surprise.

There is nothing in the rules stating clubs have to have a reserve team (I think there should be) so a club shouldn't really be lambasted for deciding to focus on getting the first team as strong as possible. Yes is was a gamble to have a small, strong squad supplemented by DR. This gamble failed due to 2 separate injury crisis'. 

Fax gambled on having a reserve team and it paid off this year but when ultimately 5 teams were separated by 1 point its hard to say what club's should and shouldn't have done. If Hock (a player cited as being a waste of money here) grounds the ball in Blackpool then Fev finish second and Fax miss out. All of a sudden it was a master stroke.

To avoid this situation you either need to allow clubs to sign player throughout the competition or artificially make them have bigger playing resources, i.e. a reserves or academy. If not this will happen again and there will be more flak leveled at another club when really it's the rules that have manufactured the situation due to the high reward of the top 4 and the lack of rules around reserves and number of players required in a match day squad. 

If this is important then those things need to change.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, ravens88 said:

This is in short why I have a tough time taking Rugby League seriously.

The petty and small minded thinking that many RL clubs approach their team frustrates me no end.

Featherstone relying on being Leeds poodle is not good for both parties. 

Leeds just dump players not good enough for their 17 and Fev have no incentive to develop their own players as they can rely on the scraps from Leeds.

Hence Fev are stuck in a short term mindset and they look foolish when they only have 14 players.

Don't really care that they beat Leigh who've had their firesale of players.

It's bordering on bringing the game into disrepute as it makes RL looks cheap and disorganised. 

Reserve grade isn't so much about playing games but about developing players skills and abilities. 

Very difficult to argue with any of those points.

We probably lost 500 off the crowd by announcing a 15 man squad and then a 14 man team.  Most Fev fans, me included figured that Leigh would rack up about 114/3 declared.

Don't think you'll find many Fev fans who like being Leeds' lapdog.  

Thankfully, the club seem to have seen the problem, albeit 3 years too late and are now looking to have a reserve set up next year.

I'd go one further and ditch the arrangement with Leeds too.

To develop a reserve team and get those players in the first team, generally doesn't happen overnight or over 1 season. While I can understand the vitriol spouted at Fev over D/R, and what appears letting players go just to lower wages is not quite right, they've let 2 players go Hock they've come to an arrangement to pay him off, although he was still banned and Tom Holmes who sadly had a season ending injury. So taking those 2 players out of the equation and the failure of Leeds to release any players, which considering their position is understandable. Then we come to the injury situation there'e Ulugia who hasn't featured all season, Ridyard with a long term injury, Wheeldon with a bad knee injury, Walton also recently injured, then on Sunday Whylie failed a head test. Then the Briscoe loan, signing by Leeds, they recalled Maskill from York who hadn't played a lot of games there. The signing deadline had passed by the time a lot of what I've mentioned appeared. while I agree it doesn't look great, from my position as a Fev supporter Sunday afternoon just showed what Featherstone is and always is about, battling against the elements and rising above them. I was one very proud supporter of Featherstone Rovers and more so for the show of solidarity between teammates, who never gave in. UTR

1 minute ago, wasginger said:

To develop a reserve team and get those players in the first team, generally doesn't happen overnight or over 1 season. While I can understand the vitriol spouted at Fev over D/R, and what appears letting players go just to lower wages is not quite right, they've let 2 players go Hock they've come to an arrangement to pay him off, although he was still banned and Tom Holmes who sadly had a season ending injury. So taking those 2 players out of the equation and the failure of Leeds to release any players, which considering their position is understandable. Then we come to the injury situation there'e Ulugia who hasn't featured all season, Ridyard with a long term injury, Wheeldon with a bad knee injury, Walton also recently injured, then on Sunday Whylie failed a head test. Then the Briscoe loan, signing by Leeds, they recalled Maskill from York who hadn't played a lot of games there. The signing deadline had passed by the time a lot of what I've mentioned appeared. while I agree it doesn't look great, from my position as a Fev supporter Sunday afternoon just showed what Featherstone is and always is about, battling against the elements and rising above them. I was one very proud supporter of Featherstone Rovers and more so for the show of solidarity between teammates, who never gave in. UTR

It was a performance that will live long in the memory and typical of Fev to do it the hard way, that's what made me Fev mad all those years ago.

But when you saw the team sheet, did you honestly think it would be anything other than a cricket score?

35 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

There’s a massive difference between a team getting hammered and one of the top clubs in the division not being able to get a team together.

Yes, you're right. It's mostly just Halifax fans getting pious about the outcomes of DR that I object to, because in previous years there were plenty of them saying that Fev made the top 4 only because of DR and that they needed to follow suit or improve their own DR arrangement.

22 minutes ago, wasginger said:

Honestly no, in fact I just hoped the players could dig deep as a team and give their all. So what happened as you say will live long in the memory banks along with I was one of the 2,200 that saw it unfold not the 20,000 who'll claim they were there.

Was the crowd 2,200 mate ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 9/3/2018 at 6:27 AM, MADREDNIGE said:

You're safely in Supa Dupa league (thanks partly to Gateshull)  don't know the full facts at Fev or other Championship clubs and you slate Fev for having only 14 players, get to know the facts first! 

So again... how is it hypocrisy? 

Either tell me why those things are relevant or give it a rest. Hull getting merged back in 1999 makes Fev failing to field a full team TWICE no less a disgrace. They do not affect each other. 

Stop deflecting. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

14 hours ago, Marauder said:

I can see a revolution on the horizon

If dual reg came in it would ruin the NCL for me. Will let clubs sign a whole heap more players on trial forms and let them try have the pickings from the conference as and when they want. I could never see it being voted in

The vast majority of Clubs below Super League level cannot afford to run a reserve Team .Those that bite the bullet and run one , find there isn`t enough fixtures , so they are forced to abandon the idea .If a Club has say 30 players on their books , unless a lot of injuries occur , a good many players don`t get any actual game time , get fed up and either pack in or return to their amateur Clubs .The only answer is the Rugby League or Sky should put in more money to each Club on the understanding that they must run a reserve Team .The money isn`t there now , players wont sign for peanuts , running a reserve Team is not as simple as some people think .

15 hours ago, wasginger said:

It does sound quite bad when put like that but going back to the reserves, Fax had 6 players unavailable through either short term or long term injury on Sunday yet still managed to name an 18 man squad with players waiting in the wings. Yes we had loan players playing but even if they wern't we would have still mustered up a full squad.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

It does sound quite bad when put like that but going back to the reserves, Fax had 6 players unavailable through either short term or long term injury on Sunday yet still managed to name an 18 man squad with players waiting in the wings. Yes we had loan players playing but even if they wern't we would have still mustered up a full squad.

well done you

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Hilarious thread with a couple of self-righteous Fax fans trumpeting the virtues of A teams & academies as though this had only just been thought of.

I think the case is that this is recognised by every sane fan of RL as a far better way to run the sport and its clubs than DR.

But in 2018 it is just not  practical or economical given the state of the game. Have Fax played 5 A team games this year? Have you really paid a squad of 25 youngsters a season long salary to play 5 games?

No. Toulouse, London, Fax, Fev and Leigh all had remarkably similar seasons in terms of results and by a spit and a fart, the first three made the qualifiers, the other two didn't.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

No. Toulouse, London, Fax, Fev and Leigh all had remarkably similar seasons in terms of results and by a spit and a fart, the first three made the qualifiers, the other two didn't.

And out of those 5 clubs two of them put their clubs futures at risk by overspending. Unfortunatley for them they were the two that missed out leaving them in the sad state they now find themselves.

28 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

And out of those 5 clubs two of them put their clubs futures at risk by overspending. Unfortunatley for them they were the two that missed out leaving them in the sad state they now find themselves.

Once again, not so. Rovers' future is not at risk as we didn't overspend.

We will obviously have less to spend next year, but that's a different matter.

As far as leigh go, not being privy to their accounts or following their club closely, I could'nt say.

A sad state? Im disappointed we didn't make the qualifiers but hey ho. We'll just have to dust ourselves off and come back stronger as Toulouse did in 2017 and Halifax did in 2016.

So, why all the loanees for fax if they've such a bountiful squad?

Once again, not so. Rovers' future is not at risk as we didn't overspend.

We will obviously have less to spend next year, but that's a different matter.

As far as leigh go, not being privy to their accounts or following their club closely, I could'nt say.

A sad state? Im disappointed we didn't make the qualifiers but hey ho. We'll just have to dust ourselves off and come back stronger as Toulouse did in 2017 and Halifax did in 2016.

So, why all the loanees for fax if they've such a bountiful squad?

Why all the loanees? Because we could, because we had money left over still to spend.........because we didn't overspend.

You don't need to be privy to Leigh's account to know they are in meltdown. Derek Beaumont himself has been quite open about their problems all over the media!

18 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So again... how is it hypocrisy? 

Either tell me why those things are relevant or give it a rest. Hull getting merged back in 1999 makes Fev failing to field a full team TWICE no less a disgrace. They do not affect each other. 

Stop deflecting. 

Is there any reason why 2 or more clubs cannot merge, to create a strong brand for them both. Or for 2 clubs to remain as a feeder club to a new stronger new entety.

Archived