Now Featherstone with 15!

Any club in the professional ranks that cannot field a full XVII should be sanctioned. There really is no excuse. They could easily find players, they just couldn't be bothered to. It's terrible PE for not only the club but the game and for clubs to be taking this option is worrying.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

And a huge difference between the two, sweetheart ?

Nit picking really, there was a criteria to get a licence, fev did there all to meet them, teams who already had a licence didnt. Now go blow kisses at some other bloke, your making me uncomfortable here, thought it was dogs you huddersfield lot was into not other men.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Any club in the professional ranks that cannot field a full XVII should be sanctioned. There really is no excuse. They could easily find players, they just couldn't be bothered to. It's terrible PE for not only the club but the game and for clubs to be taking this option is worrying.

We could get players out of retirement like the might hull, to field our team couldnt we?.

I have travvelled over the big hill twice to Fev this season to watch Leigh, I will not be making this trip, whatever the outcome we will definatley meet again in the final and I can't really say if this game will be a competition or a calamity, it's a shame how events has engineered this situation, the team Fev put out just about a month ago and the way they performed in Toronto and how Leigh have capitulated have denied us with what could have been a very good competitive match with some meaning.

Swinton v Rochdale is the fixture of this round to attend, all or nothing could depend on it for each club. Probably will go to that game instead.

How is this being allowed to happen? Why are the RFL not coming down on any club doing this like a tonne of bricks? Who the hell is in charge of our elite game? It is a terrible look for the game regardless of how bare the cupboard is and is happening far too often.

please tell me why did you have to merge with Gateshead ????? 

4 minutes ago, gingdong said:

Sorry mate that is petty stone throwing - this thread isn't actually a dig a Fev but what is being allowed. The thread is about Featherstone naming a squad of 15. Probably more importantly it is Featherstone being allowed to name a squad of 15. The supposed operational rules should have ensured that Featherstone would release a squad like this knowing heavy penalties would ensue. There have been a few precedents with this during the season with other clubs that means it has come to this. Quite sad.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Sorry mate that is petty stone throwing - this thread isn't actually a dig a Fev but what is being allowed. The thread is about Featherstone naming a squad of 15. Probably more importantly it is Featherstone being allowed to name a squad of 15. The supposed operational rules should have ensured that Featherstone would release a squad like this knowing heavy penalties would ensue. There have been a few precedents with this during the season with other clubs that means it has come to this. Quite sad.

No its not its about hypocrisy Hull Sharks dont even own a blade of grass and had to be saved by been given all Gatesheads asserts, yet this fan has the nerve to come out with that especially as the Hull had to drag players out of retirement to play at the magic this despite the millions they have received from the game. This is and will effect every club even the cash hungry super league clubs it will effect them last however 

5 minutes ago, gingdong said:

No its not its about hypocrisy Hull Sharks dont even own a blade of grass and had to be saved by been given all Gatesheads asserts, yet this fan has the nerve to come out with that especially as the Hull had to drag players out of retirement to play at the magic this despite the millions they have received from the game. This is and will effect every club even the cash hungry super league clubs it will effect them last however 

Don't agree - it is dodging the issue. I grew up in the area and you may well live there now - there is no problem finding players within 20 miles of POR.

If there was an operational rules fine of £10,000 for naming a squad of 15 or playing with less that 17 players in the Championship or SL - then none of this would have happened. It does nothing for the sport, nothing for Fev and makes the RFL look like amateur hour. 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

I have a soft spot for Featherstone but, I'm sorry, there are no excuses here for this type of thing.

This is really poor PR from the club and comes across as a bit sulky. It could have been easily turned on its head with a positive spin - something like "massive injury crisis gives amazing opportunity for 4 local players"

It would be great if teams could go out and sign 4 amateurs for example. The problem is they cannot sign anyone now, to replace the players who are injured. It is one of the biggest issues with the current format to me, and why the LLS should draw the highest prize money and be seen as the major trophy to win. Not a made up competition that the TV company wanted because they couldn't get exclusive rights to the CC.

We seem to see it most seasons, a team finishes top of the league, but is then ravaged by injuries by the time the playoffs come around and cannot compete, which undermines the regular season. 

9 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

It would be great if teams could go out and sign 4 amateurs for example. The problem is they cannot sign anyone now, to replace the players who are injured. It is one of the biggest issues with the current format to me, and why the LLS should draw the highest prize money and be seen as the major trophy to win. Not a made up competition that the TV company wanted because they couldn't get exclusive rights to the CC.

We seem to see it most seasons, a team finishes top of the league, but is then ravaged by injuries by the time the playoffs come around and cannot compete, which undermines the regular season. 

We both know had Fev gone to the RFL and said we need to make 3-4 emergency signings from amateur RL for 2-weeks or we will have to play 15 against Leigh they would have got the green light.

The reason they didn't is because no one running the game appears to give a #### at the moment. Operational rules are being ###### up the wall more than at any time I have been watching the game. WTF is going on? This sort of thing should have huge fines or points deductions hanging over them. Then clubs would not get near this situation in fear or breaking the rules.

That goes for anyone from West Wales, to Wigan to Fev. We have had professional RL sides playing live on TV with 15 and 16 blokes. It is pathetic.

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Don't agree - it is dodging the issue. I grew up in the area and you may well live there now - there is no problem finding players within 20 miles of POR.

If there was an operational rules fine of £10,000 for naming a squad of 15 or playing with less that 17 players in the Championship or SL - then none of this would have happened. It does nothing for the sport, nothing for Fev and makes the RFL look like amateur hour. 

44 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How is this being allowed to happen? Why are the RFL not coming down on any club doing this like a tonne of bricks? Who the hell is in charge of our elite game? It is a terrible look for the game regardless of how bare the cupboard is and is happening far too often.

Were we expected to get players from when theres half a dozen on the treatment table and we cant sign no more players at this time of year? If we had anywhere near the funding of sl clubs, we could run a reserve team and sign a squad of 30 players a season no problem.

38 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We both know had Fev gone to the RFL and said we need to make 3-4 emergency signings from amateur RL for 2-weeks or we will have to play 15 against Leigh they would have got the green light.

The reason they didn't is because no one running the game appears to give a #### at the moment. Operational rules are being ###### up the wall more than at any time I have been watching the game. WTF is going on? This sort of thing should have huge fines or points deductions hanging over them. Then clubs would not get near this situation in fear or breaking the rules.

That goes for anyone from West Wales, to Wigan to Fev. We have had professional RL sides playing live on TV with 15 and 16 blokes. It is pathetic.

Not sure about 3-4 emergency signings point. Whilst it might not improve a side like Fev or Leigh for example  It would be hard for the RFL to then refuse one of the bottom sides, where it could potentially make a big difference.

The Toronto thing is a little different, I had heard some clubs had applied for visas months in advance, but in some instances only a decision the same week as the game. Since the 8's started, I believe the Canadian government has intervened and speeded up the process.  

The rest of it is totally spot on though.

2 hours ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

We could get players out of retirement like the might hull, to field our team couldnt we?.

We didn't HAVE to. We chose to. We could have fielded a youngster who probably wasn't ready.

No one should choose to leave a spot empty. It's professional rugby league FFS.

1 hour ago, gingdong said:

Wow. I can tell you that it wasn't because we didn't fill up the bench for a game.

If you're trying to spin this into a money issue, well Hull did try and seek relegation to the NFP but we're rejected. It was either merge or bust after that thanks to the lower league clubs voting them out. But we could always field a full team in the season.

1 hour ago, gingdong said:

Hull Sharks don't own a blade of grass, you're right. Hull FC do own a pretty large training ground though. There's lots of grass there.

I don't know why that matters, or why something that happened nearly 20 years ago matters, or why because it happened to my club it should mean I can't have an opinion on teams not being able to field a side. It's not hypocrisy at all. It would only be hypocrisy if I (or my club) didn't think there should have been a sanction for our situation. We applied to be relegated. What else could we have done other than just ceased to exist?

Again, we didn't have to drag him out of retirement. We chose to. We could have fielded someone who wasn't ready but had options. It was far better than leaving an empty bench spot. That should NEVER happen in a professional league.

I sense a degree of bitterness from Fev fans here. You can keep trying to throw stones and attack the messenger (and his club), but the fact remains that leaving bench spots open in a professional league is an embarrassment and it should be sanctioned (as should going into administration, etc). Don't try and deflect.

Not sure of the rules/procedures re signings but couldnt Fev have played a couple of amateurs as "trialists"

A N Others used to be a common sight

Seriously this needs addressing. Thought the idea of 4 subs was to allow for more rotation and resting. Turning up with 2 presumably therefore has a knock on effect for the welfare of other players

2 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Not sure of the rules/procedures re signings but couldnt Fev have played a couple of amateurs as "trialists"

Seriously this needs addressing. Thought the idea of 4 subs was to allow for more rotation and resting. Turning up with 2 presumably therefore has a knock on effect for the welfare of other players

I think the minimum is 15.

Just now, headtackle said:

Donny have a French lad on trial in their nineteen man squad for tomorrow’s match against Newcastle. He has been at Donny for a couple of weeks so I’m not sure how using trialists works with regard to the signing deadline.

rldfsignature.jpg

17 hours ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

I hate dual reg, was good bit of buisness for us last few year, but done more harm than good this season. We ran very succesful academy and reserve teams in the past, but it got to a point were we only had about half a dozen teams to play against, so the club didnt see it financially viable, so disbanded it. Funding should be made available to all clubs to run reserve sides, some great talent come from the championship, hardhaker, hill, walmsley to name a few, but the rfl just want to use them as feeder clubs and make the big clubs bigger, the game is on its backside from top to bottom, cause its run by muppets, serious lack of talent about and its showing throughout the game. Beyond repair for me.

Surely there were plenty of academy teams to play against?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

The couldn't they or shouldn't theys are probably irrelevant if the RFL operational rules came with some actual backbone. Because if it was a £10k fine we all know that Fev would have 4 players on the bench tomorrow - even if it was Pete Smith and Deryck Fox.

This could have been foreseen.

Featherstone went into the season with a slim squad that was deliberately designed to be higher on quality at the expense of being low on numbers. I recall Duffy saying this at the start of the year. Dual Reg players were then to be used to make the numbers larger.

Everything was predicated on making the Top 4, which as we know did not happen. At that stage, and knowing that there would likely be no Dual Reg players after that point, and that there would inevitably be injuries, that was the stage at which Featherstone should have bolstered the squad with three or four signings - either loan or short-term contract. Even getting players from Featherstone Lions would have been fine.

I looked at the Featherstone website and their squad for the year was 22 players. One of those (Hock) has now left, leaving 21 players. Six injuries - hardly a shock at this stage of a hard season, and we are where we are...

TL:DR It should and could have been planned for.

Archived