Salford sep 8

RobertAM

1 hour ago, TboneFromTO said:

Ours is in October and doesn't celebrate genocide.  It's a little different ;)

I also think it was our holiday first and they stole it (but don't care enough to fact check that, so by all means go ahead of anyones interested!)

The Yanks had it almost a century before you lot hijacked it if wiki is to be believed.

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

The Yanks had it almost a century before you lot hijacked it if wiki is to be believed.

That is true...it was the United Empire Loyalists that brought it up here after the Revolutionary War.

19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

14 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That is true...it was the United Empire Loyalists that brought it up here after the Revolutionary War.

Turns out I do care enough to fact check

Canadian Thanksgiving (allegedly) has roots to the 1500s and actually called thnks giving in the 1700s

" "According to some historians, the first celebration of Thanksgiving in North America occurred during the 1578 voyage of Martin Frobisher from England, in search of the Northwest Passage" (Wikipedia. Take with salt)

either way turkey, beer, football   I'm happy

31 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Turns out I do care enough to fact check

Canadian Thanksgiving (allegedly) has roots to the 1500s and actually called thnks giving in the 1700s

" "According to some historians, the first celebration of Thanksgiving in North America occurred during the 1578 voyage of Martin Frobisher from England, in search of the Northwest Passage" (Wikipedia. Take with salt)

either way turkey, beer, football   I'm happy

Your wrong on it T Bone...some might have had such a celebration but it did not become wide spread and part of the culture in the Canadas until the UEL's brought it up after the Revolution.....we have a colder climate so the date was moved earlier to coincide with the harvest.  It is true that the English practiced such a holiday (especially in monastic England) but the Americans moved it up to a whole new level....same with Halloween!

11 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Side note.  I think I'm the only Toronto fan who would prefer a 5th place finish over 4th (though 3rd is still my preference). If the mpg is in London it's 2 hours on the train, and in Toulouse, well who wouldn't want an October mini break to the south of France?   The curse of living in the UK! 

I was thinking the same but then remembered how terrible my list trip to the Broncos was. 

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Your wrong on it T Bone...some might have had such a celebration but it did not become wide spread and part of the culture in the Canadas until the UEL's brought it up after the Revolution.....we have a colder climate so the date was moved earlier to coincide with the harvest.  It is true that the English practiced such a holiday (especially in monastic England) but the Americans moved it up to a whole new level....same with Halloween!

When I was a kid, many moons ago, we would be asked to bring any non perishable food to school around harvest time (don’t ask me when this was). The food would be distributed to the elderly people in the area. It was known as the Harvest Festival. I’ve never heard of it for years though. 

rldfsignature.jpg

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Not saying I'm not wrong, but I think one of my old history profs must have put that gem in my head.  Just giving a reasoning for my thoughts on it really.

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

When I was a kid, many moons ago, we would be asked to bring any non perishable food to school around harvest time (don’t ask me when this was). The food would be distributed to the elderly people in the area. It was known as the Harvest Festival. I’ve never heard of it for years though. 

Correct DP...it was actually a contractual arrangement between the Monastery and its inhabitants.

Archived