Hunslet 48, Skolars 12

Hawkwindbag

Entertaining in parts yesterday, both sides willing to throw the ball around and Skolars looked dangerous in the opening salvoes, but the performance went some way towards exorcising the York debacle. Southernwood a worthy man of the match but we had a lot of success down the left, Tonks, Ashton and Mvududu all regularly causing trouble. The try that started with Watson fielding the kick behind his own line and ended with Wright going over by the posts was as good a try as we've scored - or conceded for that matter - all season.

Important that we build on this up at Whitehaven next Sunday.

Really entertaining Game. We made our usual slow start against opposition we would expect to beat. Also gave away our usual score just before half time. With those exceptions i thought we played very well.

Although the Whitehaven Game looks at 1st sight to be crucial to our play off hopes, in fact the game against Newcastle will probably decide whether we make 5th place in the league. I can't see Oldham or Whitehaven beating York on their own pitch especially as York need three straight win to gain automatic promotion. Also I cant see Oldham beating Bradford as Bradford need to keep the pressure up on York until the very last game. Thus if we do manage 5th pace, it back to Bradford and hopefully an extra pay day for our club win or lose.

image.thumb.png.a0f572fa7a9ff03a5d6083616ac93d92.png

Agree that it was an entertaining game but once again hunslet went from great moves to some utter rubbish. Need to play well for more than just half a game. Think you're right about Newcastle game been vital and I  wouldn't necessarily trust us to win it. Ashton looked good on wing but  really can't get two settled wingers which is probably half the reason our goal difference is not good enough in comparison to our competitors.

I’ve watched all the home games this year and several away games. Sunday’s game was probably one of the best games we’ve played ? 6/10. We still need to improve by at least 30-40%. The referee made some strange decisions but the standard of refereeing has been poor all year. 

Our kicking game is poor at best, no organisation at times, we have a centre that’s hard running but can’t pass, a winger constantly playing with his ponytail and goading the opposition shame because with a decent centre and space he could be a good player ( to me looks like a scrum half ) and we have on occasions had a few too casual plays resulting in drop outs. Good to see on Sunday no forward passing ( usually 2/3 a game ) no kicking out on the full.

It’s an unusual season Bradford and York too good for this league results have proven this, any other year Hunslet would’ve had a good chance of promotion.

I think we’ll finish in 5th position this season, Oldham the team to finish in 6th. Fingers crossed there’s still a slim chance of playing Championship rugby next year.

Archived