Match Thread: Sheffield v Featherstone Rovers Friday 7th September 2018

marklaspalmas

Straight off the back of a heroic effort from just 14 players to beat Leigh, we now get just 5 days rest to go and play Sheffield, a dangerous bogey side for us for years now.

If we lose, Leigh will go back on top of the league on points diff, and that hard-fought victory won't get us that home final we are striving for.

We have to back up again and win this.

Hopefully we picked up now injuries, and Whylie will be fit, with perhaps Newman as well so long as there is no junior rugby to call on his services.

Only one short of a squad......

A simple win by any margin will do for me. It will be difficult to re-create the same team spirit for this one, and while Sheffield don't have much to play for they may lift their game simply because it's Fev? Don't want any "After the Lord Mayor's Show" performance though, I still have nightmares over the defeat to Dewsbury 3 days after thrashing Bradford at Odsal back in 2015. 

So if Dakota's fit again, Harry doesn't have any under 18 matches to play in, and Sinfield picks Keinhorst at centre and Handley on the wing, thus releasing LB, we have 17 for this game.

Or just wishful thinking that Featherstone Rovers might be able to put a full team out.

So we're up to 16....

KEAL CARLILE has been included in this week’s King Street Solicitors 16-Man Squad, ahead of Featherstone’s visit to face Sheffield Eagles.

Carlile suffered an injury in Featherstone’s 22-4 victory against Leigh Centurions on Sunday, but has been declared fit for the clash with his former club on Friday.

The match kicks-off at 7:45pm and will be Featherstone’s second visit to Olympic Legacy Park, after their emphatic 40-6 victory in June.

The King Street Solicitors 16-Man Squad: Ian Hardman, Dakota Whylie, Misi Taulapapa, Shaun Robinson, Anthony Thackeray, Matty Wildie, Danny Maskill, Luke Cooper, Josh Hardcastle, John Davies, James Lockwood, Sam Brooks, Brad Knowles, Connor Farrell, Keal Carlile, Harry Newman.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

So we're up to 16....

KEAL CARLILE has been included in this week’s King Street Solicitors 16-Man Squad, ahead of Featherstone’s visit to face Sheffield Eagles.

Carlile suffered an injury in Featherstone’s 22-4 victory against Leigh Centurions on Sunday, but has been declared fit for the clash with his former club on Friday.

The match kicks-off at 7:45pm and will be Featherstone’s second visit to Olympic Legacy Park, after their emphatic 40-6 victory in June.

The King Street Solicitors 16-Man Squad: Ian Hardman, Dakota Whylie, Misi Taulapapa, Shaun Robinson, Anthony Thackeray, Matty Wildie, Danny Maskill, Luke Cooper, Josh Hardcastle, John Davies, James Lockwood, Sam Brooks, Brad Knowles, Connor Farrell, Keal Carlile, Harry Newman.

Do you reckon WHYLIE, FARRELL and MASKILL on the bench?

On 9/3/2018 at 10:55 AM, marklaspalmas said:

Straight off the back of a heroic effort from just 14 players to beat Leigh, we now get just 5 days rest to go and play Sheffield, a dangerous bogey side for us for years now.

If we lose, Leigh will go back on top of the league on points diff, and that hard-fought victory won't get us that home final we are striving for.

Hopefully we picked up now injuries, and Whylie will be fit, with perhaps Newman as well so long as there is no junior rugby to call on his services.

One short?! The knives will be out again not having a full squad!!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

One short?! The knives will be out again not having a full squad!!!!!! 

Aren't you fit enough to play yet??

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, marklaspalmas said:

19 (squad) -16 was always 3 when I was at school ;)

On 9/5/2018 at 9:40 PM, marklaspalmas said:

On the back of Sunday's efforts I honestly believe this is going to be far harder than some others think.

I'd be delighted to scrape any kind of win at all.

This type of game is always quite hard to predict, because this year in particular you never know whether a team from the bottom half of the table is going to lie down or throw everything at you. At Rochdale for instance, granted we were poor, but they had far more of a dig than in our two previous meetings.

Add to that the fact that we threw everything into last week's game, and on a 5-day turnaround in a more low-key game logic tells you we will struggle to get anywhere near the intensity we showed last week.

That said, if they don't raise their game for us I'd still expect to beat them comfortably, but as MLP says, you'd settle for any win. We still haven't slipped up against a team from the bottom half of the table, and it would be nice to keep that going.

One other thought...we took plenty of flak last week for naming a 14-man squad (or 15 originally). Maybe we would have been better off doing what Sheffield appear to have done, which is not to bother announcing their squad for this game at all.

23 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

With last weeks effort the players will be absolutely shot after this short turnaround. I'm always the pessimist cos I've watched Fev too long.

Sheffield.  16.  Fev. 17

Try........... Newman

Mom........Thackeray

Attendance......678

Newman and Thackeray got tries and you were just 11 out with the attendance 689 you couldn't give me tonights Lottery numbers could you?.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Newman and Thackeray got tries and you were just 11 out with the attendance 689 you couldn't give me tonights Lottery numbers could you?.

I never usually predict Fev to win though. Preferring to test providence.However I went for the one point win and it sort have worked AGAIN????

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Made me chuckle last week when we played them,they gave the crowd out as 638 and this woman in Sheffield shirt said,well I’m disappointed because I thought Dewsbury would have brought more with them??btw thank you for beating them,it’s always nice to see Mark Aston’s face after a defeat.

30 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Aston must be one of the worst players ever to have pulled on the famous navy un white hoops! 

Nowhere near. Good scrum half, just not as good as Deryck Fox but cost nearly as much as Fev got for Foxy.

34 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Aston must be one of the worst players ever to have pulled on the famous navy un white hoops! 

He was never a Top scrum half at the time but he could manage a game.He did lack pace which is invaluable as a half back.But main thing was his heart was never in it at Fev and the fans knew it.

36 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

He was never a Top scrum half at the time but he could manage a game.He did lack pace which is invaluable as a half back.But main thing was his heart was never in it at Fev and the fans knew it.

Yup. 

He got paid a bloody fortune at fev and he always played like he never wanted to be there. He took the pizz big time at fev.

Never as good as he thought he was but I agree, game management was, and still is his best facet.

Archived