RECRUITMENT: Boas brothers confirmed for next season

hrtbps

Featherstone have signed Papua New Guinea internationals Ase Boas and Watson Boas for the 2019 season.

The brothers represented the Kumuls at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup and were a focal point of PNG Hunters’ Intrust Super Cup winning team in the same year.

Ase Boas, 29, captained the Hunters to Minor Premiership and Grand Final victories, while Watson Boas, 23, is one of the brightest talents in the Queensland Cup.

Rovers general manager Davide Longo is delighted to have secured the signatures of the half-back pair for next season.

He said: “We are very excited to announce the signings of the Boas brothers.

“They are two hugely talented players who have experience of winning and playing at an elite level.

“It was frustrating for myself and Mark (Campbell), that we couldn’t reveal their exact identities at the club’s last Fans’ Forum.We knew supporters were excited by the news that players from the World Cup had joined the club, but knew the quality of these players would take that to another level.

“This is only the start of our recruitment for the 2019 season and there will be more reasons for supporters to be excited.”

The Boas brothers are set to arrive in the UK in January.

Not seen much of them, but here are some highlights from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPkqsWAQMWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1qyqh2JHQ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Good stuff.If we keep the nucleus of our squad with the new signings and more to come I am sure we will be very competitive for next season.

23 and 29. Good ages too. Hopefully with them coming over together they'll be settled and with us for a while.

Agree that we've got a fantastic set of players to build a team around. We just need to hear a lot more recruitment news between now and January, and hopefully some word on the reserve grade!

30 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I remember seeing youtube action of Ryan Verlinden.

I will reserve judgement until I've seen them in action.

Quite.

To be fair, there are at least 4 full games on YouTube where the Boas brothers played for PNG in the World Cup (including one against England, where unsurprisingly the PNG game plan was conservative so we didn't see much of them), and at the fans' forum MC made a point of saying he had watched those games. I've watched two of them, still think we won't really know what impact they will make until they come over here but at least it shows the club are still ambitious.

Ase from what I've seen is the more solidly-built of the pair, he supplied the final pass for quite a few of the tries PNG scored against Wales in the World Cup. Watson looks slightly smaller and nippier and more in the traditional scrum half mould.

Have to wait and see how it pans out, but it's exciting anyway.

24 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Aye.... a reight miserable b'stard at the mo!??

What is wrong with you Robin? You are usually so positive. Snap out of it mate. Do what I do. I have an imaginary dustbin in my head. If the problem is of no consequence I just chuck it in the dustbin. If it is of consequence I write down all the possible answers. Look at them, and then pick one. Do it and forget it. What if it goes wrong? Just carry on with the procedure. That way you don't have sleepless nights and disturbed days. You get to 84 and still have a smile on your face. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I remember seeing youtube action of Ryan Verlinden.

I will reserve judgement until I've seen them in action.

Hope its not the same mess up with the visa fiasco as.it was with Verlinden and Matutia .What a nightmare that was and add to that the visa problem with Misi.Is it Just us that are inept at sorting the visa issues out?

1 hour ago, roversspud said:

Perhaps Robin's miserable because he missed one of THOSE Fev performances.........

Not really..... I was driving back from France.... France v fev..... not even close???

Incidently.... on Saturday morning I was in Montreuil where Vic hugo wrote les miserables as I'm informed by one of the brethren ... quite apt under the circumstances ?

✍️ RECRUITMENT!

Featherstone Rovers have signed talented local youngster Morgan Punchard, for the 2019 season.

? WELCOME TO THE TEAM!

➡️ READ full details here: http://bit.ly/2MPBUt0

Im Fev and im proud

5 minutes ago, Maureen T-k said:

✍️ RECRUITMENT!

Featherstone Rovers have signed talented local youngster Morgan Punchard, for the 2019 season.

? WELCOME TO THE TEAM!

➡️ READ full details here: http://bit.ly/2MPBUt0

Can you give us any stats on the player. Age, Height, Weight, position he plays in?

11 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Can you give us any stats on the player. Age, Height, Weight, position he plays in?

His inside leg measurement is 31inch 

FEATHERSTONE Rovers have secured the services of talented young utility player Morgan Punchard, for the 2019 season.

The 19-year-old has previous experience with Halifax and Australian side Darlington-Point Colembally Roosters.

Punchard said: “I’m really looking forward to the season ahead.

“I’ve just got back from Australia and can’t wait for preseason to start.

“It was a really good experience, which took me out of my comfort zone and massively aided my development.

“I’m back now and I’m going to work hard to be able to achieve what I want to achieve in 2019."

Punchard is a locally based player, who played his junior rugby for amateur clubs Castleford Lock Lane and Fryston Warriors.

He will be familiar to Featherstone fans, after featuring for Halifax in their Boxing Day match against the Rovers.

Punchard explained his reasons for joining the Rovers.

“It seems like a great club. Featherstone get fans turning up in numbers week in, week out and I really want to be playing in front of support like that and showing them what I can do” said Punchard.

He added: “Those fans can expect consistency from me.

“I give it my all. I give 100% in everything I do and I want to prove to them I’m willing to give everything for the club.”

Featherstone Rovers head Coach John Duffy said: “Morgan came to us looking for an opportunity. He’s been playing in a really tough league in Australia.

“He wants to progress now he’s back home, to see if he can move forward with his career.

“We’ve given him a massive opportunity and we hope he takes it with both hands.

“He’s got a really good attitude and I’m looking forward to him developing at the club.”

Featherstone Rovers #TogetherAsOne memberships for the 2019 season are on sale NOW!

#TogetherAsOne memberships are available for purchase from the Featherstone Rovers Superstore and through the Featherstone Rovers direct debit scheme. For more information please call: 01977 702386

Im Fev and im proud

Archived