Leeds and Toronto lose in Qualifiers Round 4

Just now, FearNothing said:

You can't apply that thinking to the one-(or two-) off games at Wembley, you'd have to ask the domestic fans in USA if they would still go if the structure changed......

Only if those that want to compare the NFL with British RL start to use that as a comparison , at which point then I would bring Association football all over the world into the same argument , as the majority have some tiered system with P and R

So which has the most supporters , American Football/Grid Iron or Association football ? , We all know the answer there

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Only you could see whether or not the game was played as irrelevant to the people attending it.

Its not irrelevant. Its fundamental.

If the game wasnt being played they wouldnt have a decision to make , the game is being played so they do have a decision to make , does the structure of the NFL have a bearing on their decision to attend ? , NO it doesnt

And YOU dont know for sure if the NFL having some form of promotion and relegation would prevent the game from being played , YOU DONT KNOW THAT FOR SURE , so you have NO argument

end of

2 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Nope, no second chances, this is sport.  It's cut throat and competitive. If there are no consequences for below par performance, all you achieve is mediocrity.  This is not JeremyCorbynball. Have you forgotten how dull and boring the 6 years of no relegation were?

It's impossible to expand the game without relegation.  How do those up and coming teams build a following as they march up the leagues? If there's no relegation then by definition, there's no promotion for these up and coming teams.  Where is the incentive to improve?

Mergers have a track record of failure.  Shuddersfield Giant Eagles?  Gateshull Thuindersharks? If you try and merge clubs, all you will achieve is a mass alienation of fans.  The sport cannot afford less fans.

Shall we agree to disagree?

You despise mergers but laude relegation. The strongest rugby league in the world has no relegation and has had several mergers.

(plus expansion)

It is not a question of disagreeing... It's a question of facing the truth.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You despise mergers but laude relegation. The strongest rugby league in the world has no relegation and has had several mergers.

(plus expansion)

There are two leagues in the world.  It's not hard to be the strongest.

NRL works fine for an Australian audience.  There is no real tradition of Promotion and Relegation in their sport.  They are a young country without the 1000 year history attached to some of our towns and cities.

Personally, I find NRL anodyne and fairly boring.  Yes the standard is high, but there's nothing for the neutral to get excited about.

But each to their own.  

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You despise mergers but laude relegation. The strongest rugby league in the world has no relegation and has had several mergers.

(plus expansion)

But it is also the biggest sports league in that country , RL in the UK isnt anywhere near , as our yorkshire friend and indeed myself has pointed out mergers cost fans as most will not suport any merged club

Similarily under licencing/franchising fans stop going to the games

Moan about it all you want , but you will not change human nature , the TRUTH is from my point of view , No Leigh RL club , I dont go watching RL , no Featherstone Rovers , David Shepard doesnt go watching RL , and there are thousands like us

So by all means , merge who you want , start clubs up whereever you want , but there wont be anybody watching them

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

' Proper cricket ' ? , what like Geoff boycott spending a couple of days at the crease to improve his personal stats ?

Cricket is a simple game , 1 bloke wazzes a ball at another trying to hit the 3 little sticks behind him , the other bloke tries to hit the ball with his funny shaped bat , that applies to all and every kind of cricket

' Proper cricket ' my a***

No cricket is not simple, it is and should be subtle. The various abominations of new cricket are simplistic indeed in their intent. It is the twisting of it into creating various differences of it and to it which make it moronic for the masses.

The game is tortured into limiting the overs, it limits the overs played by a bowler, it limits the time and it's consequences, limits where fielders can be positioned. One of the few things that is not limited is the numbers of bookies who can shout the odds. 

The subliminal experience received by the fans of new cricket may indeed satisfy them and provide a diverting day out... But it's not proper cricket.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We saw growth for most of franchising.

I keep hearing that we've never had franchising.

If you're referring to licensing.  Do you have numbers to back that statement up? 

If there was growth, did all areas of Rugby League experience this growth?

Indeed if licensing was doing so well, why was it ditched?

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We saw growth for most of franchising.

Funny then that on another thread that you are currently on it was pointed out that the Wigan/Wire attendances started falling from 2010 , 2 nd year of licencing

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But it is also the biggest sports league in that country , RL in the UK isnt anywhere near , as our yorkshire friend and indeed myself has pointed out mergers cost fans as most will not suport any merged club

Similarily under licencing/franchising fans stop going to the games

Moan about it all you want , but you will not change human nature , the TRUTH is from my point of view , No Leigh RL club , I dont go watching RL , no Featherstone Rovers , David Shepard doesnt go watching RL , and there are thousands like us

So by all means , merge who you want , start clubs up whereever you want , but there wont be anybody watching them

No there is only one truth about the strongest rugby league in the world and that truth is that the NRL do not have relegation they have repeatedly merged clubs. Their strength overshadows us.

The result of that is clearly to be seen at so many levels, not least the need for  many poorly performing clubs, with their 1000 years of history, reduced to perpetually signing up 3rd rate Australians in a desperate measure to save of the dread of relegation.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

No there is only one truth about the strongest rugby league in the world and that truth is that the NRL do not have relegation they have repeatedly merged clubs. Their strength overshadows us.

The result of that is clearly to be seen at so many levels, not least the need for  many poorly performing clubs, with their 1000 years of history, reduced to perpetually signing up 3rd rate Australians in a desperate measure to save of the dread of relegation.

So who are you ' merging ' ?

And who are you making up the numbers with afterwards ?

Please dont let me down by ignoring this simple request

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Why franchising was ditched is a conspiracy up there with who shot JFK. Ask Bradford fans about the 'dodginess' that led to someone casting their vote, or ask Wakefield fans who cast their vote. Politicking and a close vote is why it was ditched.

The numbers are perfectly easy to find. In 2012 we set record numbers. About 300k fewer people watched an SL game last year compared to 2012

Nothing to do with bradford being in SL in 2012 , and not any more of course , bearing in mind they were virtually giving season tickets away with newspapers

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Bradford were in SL for all of licensing, and Bradford not being in SL and the losing about 8k attending their attendances is a feature of P+R, not a bug. Also Bradford saw the attendances drop about 2k from 2011 to 2012.

But to be specific, no. I very much doubt that the price of a Bradford season ticket had much to do with Wigan posting their best ever average attendance.

And then seeing it start to drop long before the 8s were even mentioned

' Waving hand ' , "these are not the excuses you are looking for "

tell you what why don't we just have one big league of 34 clubs with no need for promotion or relegation like in the good old days and go back to those massive crowds of 4,000 for a Leeds v st helens game that I remember with such fondness 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

Archived