7-9 Sept: The Betfred Championship Shield Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Betfred Championship Shield games here.

FRIDAY 7th SEPTEMBER
Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.45pm

SUNDAY 9th SEPTEMBER
Batley Bulldogs v Rochdale Hornets KO 3pm
Dewsbury Rams v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm
Leigh Centurions v Swinton Lions KO 3pm

I honestly hope Swinton win at Leigh, sorry to the Rochdale fans but I have an affinity with Swinton. 

Leigh have nothing to play for the players have no pride in the shirt, the coach said so much himself after last Sunday's performance they are just going through the motions of changing into the kit and showering after, they are an absolute disgrace to the club and the town.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh have nothing to play for the players have no pride in the shirt, the coach said so much himself after last Sunday's performance they are just going through the motions of changing into the kit and showering after, they are an absolute disgrace to the club and the town.

Mind you Harry, Fev aren't a bad outfit. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Leigh should be playing to the best of their ability .... there are other teams affected by their "nothing to play for " attitude not just themselves !!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

True Ray, but, you know when a team is half hearted in it's application and commitment and this Leigh team most definatley fits that description, as I said, they are a disgrace.

Harsh words Brother S, though I understand the sentiment behind it; in the cycle of RL life you are on the downswing again (mind, Dews seem to be stuck in a ferris wheel that doesn’t seem to go up or down - not sure which is worse!)

1 hour ago, Reverend Ram said:

Harsh words Brother S, though I understand the sentiment behind it; in the cycle of RL life you are on the downswing again (mind, Dews seem to be stuck in a ferris wheel that doesn’t seem to go up or down - not sure which is worse!)

Sadly it's all down to money Rev its ruining all sport! 

20 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I honestly hope Swinton win at Leigh, sorry to the Rochdale fans but I have an affinity with Swinton. 

So because they lost a game, after winning their previous 2 8s matches pretty comfortably, the players suddenly aren't bothered?

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

So because they lost a game, after winning their previous 2 8s matches pretty comfortably, the players suddenly aren't bothered?

Les I could have got a combined team from Leigh Miners and Leigh East to perform well in those previous two games, in the game against your guy's when the opposition decided not to lie down the result was a foregone conclusion, a defeat for Leigh.

The wage bill for the Leigh team this season was £1.67M and I have it on good authority that 6 players were on over 100K per year, OK there are some of those who have departed the club, but the remainder are still paid handsomely, they are simply not earning their money.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Les I could have got a combined team from Leigh Miners and Leigh East to perform well in those previous two games.

Given where the East are regards League position then I very much doubt it.The previous 3 games v Sheffield twice and Barrow were from a rejuvenated Leigh side,whatever happened on Sunday is a tad puzzling but I feel a totally different display this weekend is on the cards. 

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Leigh have won three of their four 8s games by 68-6, 38-0 and 54-10. Perhaps the comments (not Bartholomew Smythe's) about the players having given up and being a disgrace are a bit disrespectful to Fev's mighty effort against them with 14 men last week? Considering the situation Leigh's players find themselves in, they appear to have achieved very creditable, almost "business as usual" results in their three other games.

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Leigh have won three of their four 8s games by 68-6, 38-0 and 54-10. Perhaps the comments (not Bartholomew Smythe's) about the players having given up and being a disgrace are a bit disrespectful to Fev's mighty effort against them with 14 men last week? Considering the situation Leigh's players find themselves in, they appear to have achieved very creditable, almost "business as usual" results in their three other games.

Beat me to it.... I'd add that it's even more disrespectful to the teams they have beaten in the 8s.

Don't know who put that statement on the Raiders feed but the reason we lost was giving too many daft penalties away and running with a totally busted side

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

11 hours ago, clogdance said:

Harry Stottle is being very silly. Bet he hated us winning 54-10 today, v a Swinton side that gave everything !

Clogger, please, granted Swinton gave everthing but their quality does not lie about their league position, my argument is that when teams as Fev did get stuck into them the heart of the Leigh team is noticable by its absence, for gods sake even Hutchinson looked like a world beater yesterday, that just about sums it up.

To those Fev supporters, no way was it my intention to belittle your performance against Leigh, you took the right gameplan into the match, get stuck into them.

15 hours ago, morty said:

Don't know who put that statement on the Raiders feed but the reason we lost was giving too many daft penalties away and running with a totally busted side

Fair summary. Barrow dropped more ball and gave away more penalties than Dewsbury, who weren't that good either. 

Archived