9 Sept: Qualifiers: Widnes Vikings v Leeds Rhinos KO 3pm

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Widnes Vikings
    • Leeds Rhinos
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/18 at 14:00

8 minutes ago, chuffer said:

A finger up yours

Sadly Widnes were dead to to rights bottom of the table after 23 games. 6 more loop fixtures were not goint to make any difference. They were going to finish bottom.

For what it is worth I do not really believe in relegation. And of course I do not believe in the 8s, hence I call it a fight to the bottom between them and Leeds.    Widnes have been doing the right things over the years and are as viable as most... It's a mess that they should be relegate.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, chuffer said:

K

KR...we may get 1 out of that, 2 at a stretch....but 3?

Out of interest chuffer, as a Widnes fan who's been there before, what feels better - watching a team that hovers round the top of the championship with a smaller happier crowd, or watching a team that is generally mid-to-lower super league (that's not meant to sound disrespectful BTW) with bigger crowds? 

Of all the Widnes fans I've met, most seemed more cheerful in the days of the Northern Rail Cup.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

5 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Mathematically its possible, i think but we'd have to win all 3 of our remaining games...given that we havent won a single game yet in the qualifiers, i would say thats a tall order

Widnes need to win all 3 games, even if they do you would expect London to beat Halifax at home so get to at least 6 points, and one of Toulouse and Toronto will be on 6 after next week (unless they draw) so Widnes would at best be looking at points difference to make the MPG. Their only hope is to get big wins against Halifax and Toronto in the next 2 weeks, hope that Toulouse and London are hammered by Salford and HKR in their two fixtures and then sneak a win at HKR on the final day. One factor may be that Salford would be mathematically safe with a win next week, leaving the door open for London and Toulouse to attack in the final two games.

7 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Out of interest chuffer, as a Widnes fan who's been there before, what feels better - watching a team that hovers round the top of the championship with a smaller happier crowd, or watching a team that is generally mid-to-lower super league (that's not meant to sound disrespectful BTW) with bigger crowds? 

Of all the Widnes fans I've met, most seemed more cheerful in the days of the Northern Rail Cup.

I wasnt happy when we were in the championship, i kept hoping one day we'd return to the top table

27 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Sadly Widnes were dead to to rights bottom of the table after 23 games. 6 more loop fixtures were not goint to make any difference. They were going to finish bottom.

For what it is worth I do not really believe in relegation. And of course I do not believe in the 8s, hence I call it a fight to the bottom between them and Leeds.    Widnes have been doing the right things over the years and are as viable as most... It's a mess that they should be relegate.

What have they been doing right? The crowds are utter garbage

I don't think I've been as tense as that since the last ten minutes of the 2015 Grand Final. Listening to radio Leeds on an intermittent signal didn't help my blood pressure.

Feel sorry for Widnes and Franny Cummins but Leeds really really couldn't afford to lose that one.

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I wouldn’t bother replying to Leigh fans trolling

He's like the leigh version of kevin keegan, "i would bloody love it if them lot go down" ...ever since they lost the MPG and then certain leigh fans starting whingeing that it was unfair with widnes finishing last etc

1 minute ago, M j M said:

I don't think I've been as tense as that since the last ten minutes of the 2015 Grand Final. Listening to radio Leeds on an intermittent signal didn't help my blood pressure.

Feel sorry for Widnes and Franny Cummins but Leeds really really couldn't afford to lose that one.

I’m hoping that with a bit of pressure off Leeds can kick on from here - but knowing Leeds they’ll dish up another ###### next week putting the pressure back on

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

The good news for Widnes though is that they will beat Halifax.

2 minutes ago, chuffer said:

He's like the leigh version of kevin keegan, "i would bloody love it if them lot go down" ...ever since they lost the MPG and then certain leigh fans starting whingeing that it was unfair with widnes finishing last etc

Wasnt unfair. We knew it was not decided by SL positions. 

I’m still curious to know what home grown talent has come through the ranks?

5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The good news for Widnes though is that they will beat Halifax.

Will they?  Fax put up a fight today, my monies on fax with the upset!

4 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

He didn’t actually say we produced top players (although we do have three in the England Knights squad)

We’ve produced players for our own first team which will do us well next year in he Championship, hopefully Leigh will actually think about how a RL clubs should be structured now Degsy has done one. Plenty of talent around Leigh but if you don’t run an academy they’ll just go elsewhere

40 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

My money would be on the Vikings for this one

Well that was the best we've defended in about 3 months, we were unlucky not to come away with a win.

Not bitter, but Leeds had the Ref in their pocket the whole game.

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

8 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Just look at our regular starting 17...usuallly the likes of walker, whitley, the chapelhow bros, Gilmore, ince, ashall-bott...today our half was the young lyons....ok theyre not all playing for england yet but these are widnes academy lads in first team positions that would prob otherwise be filled by an aussie journeyman

1 minute ago, Bomb Jack said:

Well that was the best we've defended in about 3 months, we were unlucky not to come away with a win.

Not biter, but Leeds had the Ref in their pocket the whole game.

That wouldn't be the only time in this format that Leeds appeared to have the ref in their pockets according to some, but the refs overall do a good job and deserve our full support

4 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Just look at our regular starting 17...usuallly the likes of walker, whitley, the chapelhow bros, Gilmore, ince, ashall-bott...today our half was the young lyons....ok theyre not all playing for england yet but these are widnes academy lads in first team positions that would prob otherwise be filled by an aussie journeyman

I would sooner clubs give young British talent a go than has been's and never was players from the NRL. Well done to Widnes for that

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I would sooner clubs give young British talent a go than has been's and never was players from the NRL. Well done to Widnes for that

I suppose in an ideal world you would have a nice blend of both you ng local academy lads and older, experienced heads (and yes some of those could be aussies if nec)...unfortunately some of our experienced antipodean signings have been poor, see Houston for example 

31 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I’m hoping that with a bit of pressure off Leeds can kick on from here - but knowing Leeds they’ll dish up another ###### next week putting the pressure back on

Leeds play Salford at home on Friday night. You've got to remember Salford will most probably be without Luke Burgess and Jackson Hastings. I think Leeds have a slight advantage if they are out.

Archived