8 Sept: Super 8s: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 5.30pm (UK time) (TV)

Who will win?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • St Helens
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/09/18 at 16:15

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suspicion would be that McNamara was very happy for the team to have a period of celebration after Wembley, and accepts that the team at Castleford would thus not have been in red hot form.

Now, however, it will be back to serious business, and he will want to make maximum use of the last few games in the Super 8s to do at least two things: first, he will want to retain the confidence gained from the run of form up to and including Wembley, and use that to make the collective mentality of the team very positive going into 2019; and second, he will want to give game time to a few, less experienced French players.  Regarding the latter point, 'few' is the operative word.  Field too many and you get thrashed, as at the Halliwell Jones in the Super 8s fixture, but one or two per game surrounded by strongly performing first team regulars (French and overseas) will be a very positive environment in which to blood youngsters (after all, Goudemand did very respectably at Wembley!)

He may also want to give a run or two to both Anderson and Duport; that might seem a bit sentimental (and indeed is), but it could also be good for the team's collective psychology.

Meanwhile, at some point, there must surely be a Saints' reaction to recent on-field mediocrity.  I suspect that they have earmarked their visit to Perpignan as a good chance to turn things around a bit.

All of which leads me to suggest a close game and - why not? - a draw!

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Nice step by Bird. Easy essai for Mead. 4-0

Good work by Taia to hold back Bird's ball-carrying arm, but all to no avail on the next play.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived