7 Sept: Super 8s: Warrington Wolves v Huddersfield Giants KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Huddersfield Giants
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/09/18 at 18:45

Could be very close and very entertaining.   Warrington players have been given a few days break for this one, but hopefully won’t have wound down too much.   Huddersfield will be looking to prove a point after the blip of last week.   Not that much between the two teams when both on form.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Had results gone the other way last week, this would have been a belter, as it is, 4th place is more or less done now, but still hope the Giants make a good fist of it.

As with the regular round game, we have a number of changes and a couple of academy lads in, but Wire should have too much for us, it would be nice to think we haven't given it up and put up a good show, but somehow i can't see it.

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

They say that the second match after Wembley is where fatigue can really hit you. Giants are a very fine side indeed, and will give this their all. Shock away win for mine. 

Is there facts to support that theory. 

I think the defeat to Wakefield will have took the wind out of Huddersfields sails. 

2 hours ago, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

I find it extremely peculiar that possibly the only match of the 28 in the Super Eights to have anything of any consequence riding on it wasn't chosen for TV coverage.

It’s huddersfield I’m afraid - dont seem to get many matches on TV even when we are playing well and the fans turn up - would have been nice to watch this one

7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I think Hudds will win this, Warrington will have the post Wembley+1 match downer, it's not always the event after the big one, it's usually the one after that that catches you out.

Hudds by 10

I hope you're tipping is better than last week (Hull by twenty), wire very rarely get beat by 10 this season but I am glad you are tipping the giants I will go to the game happy in the knowledge you have backed Huddersfield. 

12 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Is there facts to support that theory. 

I think the defeat to Wakefield will have took the wind out of Huddersfields sails. 

I might do some research if I get the chance. I did wonder whether the Giants may now have an on the beach mentality. Tbh for all the games I simply adopted a “what’s best for Wigan” approach and then tried to find a reason it might happen. 

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I hope you're tipping is better than last week (Hull by twenty), wire very rarely get beat by 10 this season but I am glad you are tipping the giants I will go to the game happy in the knowledge you have backed Huddersfield. 

The Hull (my team) by 20 was tongue in cheek, it was a pop because I knew we are a shambles and would get battered, I didn't expect to get battered and humiliated to that extent though.

Going to a game on the back of a stranger backing the opposition is not a strong formula to work upon, I suggest going to games you want to whenever you feel like, don't let other peoples decisions and opinions dictate it. Saying that your lack of fans at Wembley the last few times out suggest you lot stay away a fair bit in all honesty

57 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

The Hull (my team) by 20 was tongue in cheek, it was a pop because I knew we are a shambles and would get battered, I didn't expect to get battered and humiliated to that extent though.

Going to a game on the back of a stranger backing the opposition is not a strong formula to work upon, I suggest going to games you want to whenever you feel like, don't let other peoples decisions and opinions dictate it. Saying that your lack of fans at Wembley the last few times out suggest you lot stay away a fair bit in all honesty

Sorry but me saying our lack of fans were did I mention Wembley and I control when I go to games and attended all five recent Wembley finals but I see you are living up to your troll outing last week. 

On 9/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

I find it extremely peculiar that possibly the only match of the 28 in the Super Eights to have anything of any consequence riding on it wasn't chosen for TV coverage.

That's because it involves Huddersfield,and yet ironically, we are on TV next week in what will probably be a meaningless game ?

On 9/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

It's the cowbell.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Giants unravelled last week after losing both wingers and a prop with 30 mins to go, it'll need a miracle for the top 4 now and it looks like the Giants have decided to rotate the team, which is no bad thing. 

Either way, tie of the round and not on telly, go figure 

Funny game tonight, wire were the better side but the giants hung in there. From a giants point of view watching young senior skin charnley and malmo score a hat trick were positives although the first was bounced. Three interesting weeks coming up and will wire plan for the semi finals and sacrifice bragging rights. Goodwin was again good with Clark in top form. 

17 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Funny game tonight, wire were the better side but the giants hung in there. From a giants point of view watching young senior skin charnley and malmo score a hat trick were positives although the first was bounced. Three interesting weeks coming up and will wire plan for the semi finals and sacrifice bragging rights. Goodwin was again good with Clark in top form. 

Was it a worry that we still appeared to struggle to close the game out? I know we won, but had Brough kicked his goals at the end we lose or draw. 

Still nervous about our ability to win a tight semi for example.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Was it a worry that we still appeared to struggle to close the game out? I know we won, but had Brough kicked his goals at the end we lose or draw. 

Still nervous about our ability to win a tight semi for example.

To a certain degree but neither of our half backs had good games and individual players kept us going. Clark being on the pitch is crucial because Patton offers nothing. 

To a certain degree but neither of our half backs had good games and individual players kept us going. Clark being on the pitch is crucial because Patton offers nothing. 

Roberts and Brown are good at sticking to the structures but offer nothing other than a good passing game.   Brown occasionally takes the line on but his kicking game is very hit and miss.   Roberts has an excellent positional kicking game but that’s it, other than his passing.

I’ve got no doubts Austin will provide an individual attacking threat, but we need a cool-headed organiser to settle the team and make sensible game-management decisions.   Unfortunately I can’t think of where we find one, certainly in the UK.

The one thing that fills me with hope about this current Warrington team is that we are never out of a game, even when we play badly.   We mentally hang in there and keep going, albeit making some silly decisions that don’t help.   Got to give them credit for the two matches since the Wembley debacle though.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

DS, One concern next season is how Ben Westwood has got a contract extension, this is not a critism of Ben but the back row players we have next year should prevent him getting near the side and if we had a fully functioning reserve league then keeping Ben would make sense. 

DS, One concern next season is how Ben Westwood has got a contract extension, this is not a critism of Ben but the back row players we have next year should prevent him getting near the side and if we had a fully functioning reserve league then keeping Ben would make sense. 

Fair point. But I think next season will be a defining one for Ben Currie and his playing career so added depth in the back row may not be a bad thing. 

4 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Not sure, but I think Westwood counts as pennies towards the cap due to the long-serving rule.   So if he has agreed a one-year deal on low pay as a back up player prior to retirement, he probably won't be affecting the cap much.

That's my guess anyway.

2 hours ago, CiderWire said:

Fair point. But I think next season will be a defining one for Ben Currie and his playing career so added depth in the back row may not be a bad thing. 

I really hope we haven't seen the last of Currie, for his sake and ours.   I'm prepared for the worst though ?

Archived