Archbishop of Canterbury.

2 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Christian Archbishop of Canterbury expresses views about wealth similar to those preached by Jesus Christ shock.

I think you'll find that Jesus was very clear that helping others was exactly the wrong thing to do.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Christian Archbishop of Canterbury expresses views about wealth similar to those preached by Jesus Christ shock.

If/when the Archbishop meets Jesus he may have a bit of explaining to do about his multi £billion, tax free, business empire built up with a 10% "tax" on some of the poorest in society; while he resides in a palace.

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

If only he'd been a bit more clear we might not have had so much bother! 

He was very clear. Help people who don't deserve it, be good to people who don't do good to you. It's all there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

The Samaritan wasn't in any bother but he did help someone who was. 

You are indeed correct!  I was way too tired last night to be posting.  I meant to say 'who helped someone in a spot of bother'.

5 hours ago, kiyan said:

If/when the Archbishop meets Jesus he may have a bit of explaining to do about his multi £billion, tax free, business empire built up with a 10% "tax" on some of the poorest in society; while he resides in a palace.

The parable of the talents gives one very clear indication of what Jesus thought about the management of money.

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

The parable of the talents gives one very clear indication of what Jesus thought about the management of money.

If so, why this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleansing_of_the_Temple

The parable was an analogy he used to persuade the disciples to get out and evangelise - it starts with "It will be like...". He does not anywhere in it condone the actions of the master in the story. He's just explaining what it will be like if they sit on their bums rather than spreading the word.

Go to the Vatican if you want the best example of excess.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 minutes ago, tim2 said:

If so, why this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleansing_of_the_Temple

The parable was an analogy he used to persuade the disciples to get out and evangelise - it starts with "It will be like...". He does not anywhere in it condone the actions of the master in the story. He's just explaining what it will be like if they sit on their bums rather than spreading the word.

Go to the Vatican if you want the best example of excess.

Remind me, how easy is it for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven?

Many moons ago when I was around 20 years old my much older boss said to me that when youngsters started work they should be paid a lot of money that decreases in real terms over the years.  

His view was based on the idea that youngsters can spend the money, buying a house, holidays etc. and enjoy themselves rather than having to wait till they are in their 50's or 60's when they may not have the health or ability to do so.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I remember the good old days when the AoC was an effeminate old bloke who'd pop up on TV occasionally and say things like 'I often think of God as a bicycle'.

Now its gay vicar this, ###### marriage that...no wonder he's losing it.

That wasn't a very rude word edited out by the way....

Seriously, it blocked gay? Soemone needs to have a word with the sweary filter.

Oh no it wasn't that. What was it?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I remember the good old days when the AoC was an effeminate old bloke who'd pop up on TV occasionally and say things like 'I often think of God as a bicycle'.

If you get your kicks that way there's still Thought for the Day.

52 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Seriously, it blocked gay? Soemone needs to have a word with the sweary filter.

Oh no it wasn't that. What was it?

It must have been ###### or possibly ######, maybe even ##### but definitely not #####.

Oh #####!!

:biggrin:

17 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It must have been ###### or possibly ######, maybe even ##### but definitely not #####.

Oh #####!!

:biggrin:

#####

Archived