2025 World Cup

Mr Plow

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a french WC (2025 or otherwise), I believe it would be easy enough to fill up small to medium venues for GS in RL towns (Carcassonne, Perpignan, Albi...) and you could also target small RU towns that would thrive for some international sport.

The biggest worry would be how to sell up a 30K or 40K stadium for the finals. The last time, it did end up baddly (Lyon, 1972).

It would be great if the sport could get sufficient funding to hold it in France. The 2023 RU World Cup was underwritten with a £150 million guarantee from the French government and if a French bid could attract a fraction of that it would be a very successful World Cup.

46 minutes ago, Gambass said:

For a french WC (2025 or otherwise), I believe it would be easy enough to fill up small to medium venues for GS in RL towns (Carcassonne, Perpignan, Albi...) and you could also target small RU towns that would thrive for some international sport.

The biggest worry would be how to sell up a 30K or 40K stadium for the finals. The last time, it did end up baddly (Lyon, 1972).

I suppose if you had it in France you could host some games in Catalonia as well.

As for filling stadiums it’s all about marketing isn’t it? Who ever the host(s) will be in 2025 they need time to plan, it’s only 7 years away

14 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I suppose if you had it in France you could host some games in Catalonia as well.

As for filling stadiums it’s all about marketing isn’t it? Who ever the host(s) will be in 2025 they need time to plan, it’s only 7 years away

If it was only about marketing, the Denver Stadium would have been sold out. To reach a 40K+ stadium, you need cities (Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille,...) where RL has basically no profile at all.

How do you fill these stands, I have no idea. And Barcelona is not the answer.

9 hours ago, Gambass said:

If it was only about marketing, the Denver Stadium would have been sold out. To reach a 40K+ stadium, you need cities (Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille,...) where RL has basically no profile at all.

How do you fill these stands, I have no idea. And Barcelona is not the answer.

No one knew if the Denver test was going to go ahead months before it did. It’s not like it was marketed a year in advance, with a French WC you could have 7 years to market it and grow a rl profile in places you mention. 

9 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

This is RL Mr Plow, the GB tour is only 12 months away, we know it is going to happen - they have told us so! - but where and when?

I told the missus when it was first stated the tour was going ahead in May '17 that we would go in '19, fine she said, now all this time later I am getting pressured to present her with dates and schedules, which I cannot do, she is actively looking at alternative holidays for 2019.

8 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

France and England makes sense

Give France a group and 1 or 2 QFs. Semis double header at Wembley  and Final at OT. 

That's realistic. 

It's totally unrealistic if what you said yesterday happens

"While I don't support a WC (in NA) I will agree with you on Canada being the best focus for NA expansion as regardless of what happens with TWP they have been a success.A second Pro team could work well and surely it's worth having a game here to expand on the TWP.... Maybe England v France". 

The lack of any North American investment or participation in RL in Canada and the USA, and the lack of interest for the Denver test, save an Aussie throwing his money away on an Aussie/English team still leads you to effectively believe TWP should go into Superleague and someone like Montreal (who do not exist and never will)  should follow them.

That clearly means two English clubs are removed from SL and above all this Toulouse fail to get into Superleague despite having tried to get in for 22 long years.

Why do you think the French would happily host or help host a World cup if Toulouse were snubbed for TWP and Montreal replaced say Salford? Why do you think France would happily go to play in Canada to boost the non existent game there when their own prospective second SL side is snubbed in favour of North American clubs??. Answers please??

Above all if France are to host it they need to be able to compete and they cannot do this with one hand tied behind their back by refusing Toulouse a place in SL for TWP, a second French club can assist the French side, International RL is most important.

And when you have Montreal and Toronto in Superleague how will the Canadian RL raise a Canadian team for this World Cup in France 2025?? Are 30 Anglo-Aussies to be passed off as Canadians?? Two things....

1. It has always been said International RL is the most important aspect of our game NOT club rugby. Therefore Toulouse over Toronto regardless of whether TWP win the MPG. ESPECIALLY if France are to host the World cup.

2. It is a complete myth that whatever alleged "crowds" TWP are getting makes them a success. Why don't you explain that soundbite. for that is all it is. Perez never set crowds as a measure of success. What you are doing is inventing a criteria to use to declare TWP a success because they failed to get a paying TV contract (more chance of a French one with Toulouse in) and fail to develop any players and fail to have a international side of any strength as well.

When Denver attracted 19,000 did you think that was a success?? Moore appears to have gone bust on that Crowd and the RLWC has all but gone from the USA and Canada. 

With great respect to you, you have shown us a great example of the blind enthusiasm a few people have for North American expansion that leads them to be unable to grasp facts and reason......Yes I have  put on the same old record onto the record player, but only in response to the same old worn and badly cracked record being played again for the thousandth time that TWP are the saviour of our game despite the collapse of the world cup there and the total ambivalence of North American investors to Rugby League.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

This is RL Mr Plow, the GB tour is only 12 months away, we know it is going to happen - they have told us so! - but where and when?

I told the missus when it was first stated the tour was going ahead in May '17 that we would go in '19, fine she said, now all this time later I am getting pressured to present her with dates and schedules, which I cannot do, she is actively looking at alternative holidays for 2019.

Why don’t we learn ? people wonder why there’s no money in the game when we continue to be so amateur 

27 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Why don’t we learn ? people wonder why there’s no money in the game when we continue to be so amateur 

Actually, having just replied to your goodself it has prompted me to 'grab the bull by the horns' so to speak, I have found the contact details (email address) of the RLIF and sent them a communication requesting that they supply me with any up to date relevant information they have available for the proposed Lion's '19 tour, especially dates and schedules, if you wish I will keep you informed of the proceedings.

47 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

And when you have Montreal and Toronto in Superleague how will the Canadian RL raise a Canadian team for this World Cup in France 2025?? Are 30 Anglo-Aussies to be passed off as Canadians

Impossible, the players representing Toronto WP can never qualify on the 'residential rule' they live in England most of them at home, they are no different to anyone who goes overseas to do a job of work, in that respect they are true 'journeymen'

I'm a big supporter of Toronto making it to SuperLeague, of the dream that it is, (in conflict with reality)  but to see them as any sort of torchbearer for New World expansion is in my view, a huge error. Cats andd Toulouse in SuperLeague, though, is in my view, something that could sustain or even increase the presence  of the game in the French heartlands. 

So for me, the WC in North America was never going to happen. Holding it in the French heartlands -and the heartlands only - forget Paris, Lyon, and Barcelona -,  would work for me, though. Taking it on the road in the Hexagon, or splitting it between France and the UK will never work....too dilute, incomplete, complicated.

The downside of Toronto, and of Cats wnning the cup , is the growth of a romantic notion of expansion that seems to ignore the real issues, including long term financial issues. Lets focus on a low risk  WC in a country, in an area, with a structure that works.

I quite like the European Championships (?) Model of spreading things out and reducing/spreading the risk. 

France having the 2025 World Cup could mean them having one group, 1 quarter, both semis and the final. You could then have a group and a quarter in London, Barcelona, Cardiff etc.

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I quite like the European Championships (?) Model of spreading things out and reducing/spreading the risk. 

France having the 2025 World Cup could mean them having one group, 1 quarter, both semis and the final. You could then have a group and a quarter in London, Barcelona, Cardiff etc.

This approach worked pretty well for the RUWC (I know, sorry, sorry, sorry,) in 1991, when it was still very much in its infancy as an event. QFs in Paris, Edinburgh, Villenueve and Dublin, SFs Edinburgh and Dublin, Final London.

Archived