Should the Wolfpack Pounce on 7's player

NickWeaver

1 hour ago, westside said:

Ok it’s obvious at this point that you don’t follow NFL (or any sport outside RL?).

Zaruba was invited back to training camp for a second year after impressing. Hayne was basically laughed out of the league. His running style was unbelievably awkward.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football/nfl/adam-zaruba-back-with-philadelphia-eagles

An article dated January 4th. ? Invited back but binned again. Well done Adam you can say you trained with an NFL team but never played a game unlike that ungainly Hayne character. 

rldfsignature.jpg

Elite level athlete or not, I don't recall anything anywhere in print over the last twenty years saying playing rugby league as a newcomer was a comfortable time.  Fitness wise they could get up there no doubt, but the game sense will take longer.  If TWP end up in Super League it would have to be a special RU player for them to take a punt on and even then the business side of things will likely dictate not to approach anyone.  Yet at any rate.

On 9/7/2018 at 9:45 AM, CanadianRugger said:

CFL salaries are comparable to NRL salaries, they are far better than salaries in Super League.  Also CFL players have a wicked Collective Bargaining Agreement, they play less games than Rugby League and have more perks.  

Cost of living in Canada is also far less than Australia.  

I wouldn't say they are far better.

2018 CFL salary cap is $5.2 million for a 56 man roster. That's an average of just under $93,000 per player.

2018 SL salary cap is £1.9 million for a 25 man roster. That's an average of just under £76,000 per player which is almost $130,000.

While both leagues have exceptions for certain players at the very highest and lowest end of the salary scale it seems to me that CFL players do not have far better salaries than in Super League.

I could see some Canadian athletes trying to crack RL and they probably will have to do it through playing in the UK at a lower level to learn the ropes. They would need to start at an early age as possible. The money won't be the overriding factor, more the desire to reach a top level of RL, including representing Canada internationally.

I don't know exactly how many lads would be prepared to take that route with an uncertain outcome. It would require much application and dedication for those who took the plunge. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived