France beating Australia in 1978

2 hours ago, Luckycreed said:

No that was 85 and Balmain not North Sydney . but you are correct he was playing in Sydney in 83 .Still searching for a team sheet for that 83 game at Lang Park there must be one on google somewhere.

I was at that game they belted the living daylights out of us, younger people would be shocked at how violent our sport used to be if they managed to get hold of some footage.of that match.

We need the Dowling/Tamati scrap on here.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, Luckycreed said:

I am struggling to find a team sheer for that 83 kiWi side

The video I linked will give you the team sheet for the Lang Park match, at least, if you hit the 'pause' button early on.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The video I linked will give you the team sheet for the Lang Park match, at least, if you hit the 'pause' button early on.

Caught the 1-13 at the end of the link of the Dowling/Tamati Fight and I reckon almost all of them, not sure about Owen Wright, were playing in Australia or England. Howie Tamati might not have signed for Wigan by that point too.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Have you made quite sure the pitch markings are accurate, though? :wink:

aid9385179-v4-728px-Measure-Monitor-Size

LOL.  That match was before the rule change pursuant to which the Plan which forms part of the Laws of the Game was modified to depict equidistant lines 10 metres apart with numbers.

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

LOL.  That match was before the rule change pursuant to which the Plan which forms part of the Laws of the Game was modified to depict equidistant lines 10 metres apart with numbers.

Don't forget that that the video I linked was in 4:3 ratio, which will look wider when watched on a more modern wide screen.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 9/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, deluded pom? said:

Caught the 1-13 at the end of the link of the Dowling/Tamati Fight and I reckon almost all of them, not sure about Owen Wright, were playing in Australia or England. Howie Tamati might not have signed for Wigan by that point too.

The 1983 team that beat Australia that night had four Australian based players , the Sorensons, Broadhurst, and Fred Ah Kuoi, don't know how many of them were based in England at the time.

The New Zealand team for that 2nd Test in 1983 was:

N.Wright - Auckland

J.Ropati - Auckland

J.Leuluai - Hull

F.Ah Kuoi - North Sydney, only played 2 senior games in 1983 for the Bears

D.Bell - Auckland

G.Smith - Hull KR

S.Varley - Auckland

G.Prohm - Hull KR

K.Sorensen - Cronulla

G.West(C) - Wigan

D.Sorensen - Cronulla

H.Tamati - Taranaki

M.Broadhurst - Illawarrra

Subs:

R.O'Regan - Auckland

I.Bell - Auckland

9 hours ago, Luckycreed said:

Also of interest is that six of the Australian starting thirteen were playing in the Brisbane League so only eleven of the twenty six were playing in the NSWRL 

True, Qld had smashed NSW in the Third Origin game in 1983, 43-22 on June 28th and led at one point 33-0 thus the Australian selectors rewarded the series winning Qld players with test call ups for the test on July 9th. 5 of the local Brisbane players had played in all 3 origin games and Fullerton-Smith was called into the First Test after Price had been ruled out and was man of the match and held his spot even though he did not play origin 2 and 3.

The team still had 10 of the 15 from the Invincible 1982 Kangaroos.

7 hours ago, rlno1 said:

The New Zealand team for that 2nd Test in 1983 was:

N.Wright - Auckland

J.Ropati - Auckland

J.Leuluai - Hull

F.Ah Kuoi - North Sydney, only played 2 senior games in 1983 for the Bears

D.Bell - Auckland

G.Smith - Hull KR

S.Varley - Auckland

G.Prohm - Hull KR

K.Sorensen - Cronulla

G.West(C) - Wigan

D.Sorensen - Cronulla

H.Tamati - Taranaki

M.Broadhurst - Illawarrra

Subs:

R.O'Regan - Auckland

I.Bell - Auckland

I never realised Broadhurst played for Illawarra. I thought his only Australian team was Manly.

rldfsignature.jpg

18 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I never realised Broadhurst played for Illawarra. I thought his only Australian team was Manly.

Yes, one season before heading to Hull KR with John Dorahy. He'd fallen out with Manly over his decision to play the 1982 one off test for NZ against PNG in Port Moresby on July 25th. He came back and Manly lost 3 straight Broadhurst was dropped for the final game of the regular season and didn't regain his place for the finals as a result he asked for a release.

20 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Auckland were really strong in the late 70s early 80s. In a three week period in 1977 they beat England, France and Australia!

This is a good point... wonder what happened to see the NZ league in the state it is now... any Kiwis have any insight on this.  It would be such a good thing to have a strong domestic NZ scene again.. something on par with the oz state leagues, and championship.

20 minutes ago, johnny plath said:

This is a good point... wonder what happened to see the NZ league in the state it is now... any Kiwis have any insight on this.  It would be such a good thing to have a strong domestic NZ scene again.. something on par with the oz state leagues, and championship.

Well basically the Warriors entered NRL in 1995, local game struggled to get attention, lion red cup national comp was introduced and failed, Rugby Union and other sports went professional about the same time creating way more competition for funding & sponsorship, NZRL administrators were involved in dodgy financial activity, Batercard cup national comp was reestablished that also failed, Star players at end of careers & now even young prospect who dont make it overseas are not often seen back involved the local game in NZ.  The money generated from NZ league Supporters ends up in Australia via NRL TV rights & Merchandise sales and is not reinvested back into the game.

ARL has bought the NZ Warriors and has a goal of making the Auckland Club Competition Semi Professional, its currently the last club comp in NZ league with any money for player involved but is more a pro/am comp than semi pro. But please head to international section and check out the 2018 NZRL premiership thread NZ regional comp which starts this week

On 9/9/2018 at 12:50 PM, Luckycreed said:

If you go back to the 1972 world cup held in France which Great Britain won on a countback after the final with Australia ended in a 10 - 10 draw (GB beat Australia 27 -21 in the preliminary game) the Australian team was

FB Graeme Langlands

RW John Grant

LC  Geoff Starling

RC Mark Harris

LW  Ray Brahnigan

FE  Bob Fulton

HB  Dennis Ward

PR  John O'Neil

HK Elwyn Walters

PR  Bob O'Reilly

SR Arthur Beetson

SR Gary Stevens

LK Gary Sllivan

I would suggest that team would have given the 82 team a fair game yet GB could match it with them.For whatever reason by the very late seventies you blokes just stopped producing quality footballers in large enough numbers to remain competitive,

Denis Ward played for  Widnes circa 1965 coming from the Newcastle comp I think. First ever would be Kangaroo to wear the 'black & white hoops'?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

I was at the second and third Tests in 1978 and all three Tests in 1982, I suspect the '82 team stands out most because of the huge impact they made on the British Rugby League public.  In '78 we thought we were unlucky to lose the series 2-1 and that the Aussies weren't that far ahead of us. But in '82 at the first Test at Boothferry Park, the reaction was "$h!t,  they're playing a different game to us, they're light years ahead". That was the start of Australia dominating the game and as such probably had the greatest impact.

7 hours ago, Rioman said:

I was at the second and third Tests in 1978 and all three Tests in 1982, I suspect the '82 team stands out most because of the huge impact they made on the British Rugby League public.  In '78 we thought we were unlucky to lose the series 2-1 and that the Aussies weren't that far ahead of us. But in '82 at the first Test at Boothferry Park, the reaction was "$h!t,  they're playing a different game to us, they're light years ahead". That was the start of Australia dominating the game and as such probably had the greatest impact.

That was the wake up call for the British game that the Australians had moved the game forward and a review of the game was required by the Brits, which to their credit they did and started moving forward being only seconds away from winning the Ashes in 1990.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:50 PM, Luckycreed said:

If you go back to the 1972 world cup held in France which Great Britain won on a countback after the final with Australia ended in a 10 - 10 draw (GB beat Australia 27 -21 in the preliminary game) the Australian team was

FB Graeme Langlands

RW John Grant

LC  Geoff Starling

RC Mark Harris

LW  Ray Brahnigan

FE  Bob Fulton

HB  Dennis Ward

PR  John O'Neil

HK Elwyn Walters

PR  Bob O'Reilly

SR Arthur Beetson

SR Gary Stevens

LK Gary Sllivan

I would suggest that team would have given the 82 team a fair game yet GB could match it with them.For whatever reason by the very late seventies you blokes just stopped producing quality footballers in large enough numbers to remain competitive,

I believe the Brits could easily have won the 73 and 74 series against Australia and the 1977 World Cup if they had full access to their players. Great players in their prime like Reilly, Lockwood and Topliss were playing in the Australian game and as a result unable to represent Great Britain.

13 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I believe the Brits could easily have won the 73 and 74 series against Australia and the 1977 World Cup if they had full access to their players. Great players in their prime like Reilly, Lockwood and Topliss were playing in the Australian game and as a result unable to represent Great Britain.

Agreed, they were consistently competitive through the seventies, and with a full strength team would have won in 74.

But as the decade  went on their team was getting older and older a sure sign the next generation of talent was not coming through and the third test at Leeds on the 78 tour which Australia won easily was a sign of what was coming in that awful period between 79 and 86.

Yet through that period New Zealand were often competitive, which suggests the problem was more to do with  a declining  talent pool in Britain than Australia taking some huge leap forward.

If you look at crowds for the 73 Kangaroo tour only four games drew more than 10k   and only one more than 15k which indicates by the early seventies the sport was struggling to attract spectator interest in England and my guess is that was probably reflected in falling participation numbers and  by 1979 that had caught up with the GB team.

1 hour ago, Luckycreed said:

Agreed, they were consistently competitive through the seventies, and with a full strength team would have won in 74.

But as the decade  went on their team was getting older and older a sure sign the next generation of talent was not coming through and the third test at Leeds on the 78 tour which Australia won easily was a sign of what was coming in that awful period between 79 and 86.

Yet through that period New Zealand were often competitive, which suggests the problem was more to do with  a declining  talent pool in Britain than Australia taking some huge leap forward.

If you look at crowds for the 73 Kangaroo tour only four games drew more than 10k   and only one more than 15k which indicates by the early seventies the sport was struggling to attract spectator interest in England and my guess is that was probably reflected in falling participation numbers and  by 1979 that had caught up with the GB team.

Probably true Lc. It was the RFL’s poor management of amateur RL that led to the creation of BARLA in 1973.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived