Dave Furner, new Leeds coach

M j M

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is highly thought of at Headingley for his impact on the kids of 03 and 04 which led to the first Grand Final win and, after he left, became the greatest Leeds team ever.

How much was him as opposed to the influence of the coaching team of Smith and McDermott is hard to say but he brought a levelheadedness on the field that the current team would kill for.

Best of luck to him. He was an excellent player. And as we've seen with the likes of Daryl Powell and Steve MacNamara, a poor run at one club doesn't mean you can't become a good and capable coach later in your career. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just heard the news on Radio 5, and it could be a good choice. Next season will be interesting for Leeds, wherever they find themselves.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happy with this appointment, Canberras the only blot on his copybook, but he was a young coach with a very poor squad, going up against the best coaches in the world with in most cases much better squads. Won the premiership as assistant with the cowboys in 2015, Australia assistant, Tonga assistant during there world cup run last year and assistant at Souths this season responsible for there much lauded attack and structures.   

Added bonus is he knows the club and the city so isnt likley to get homesick or struggle settling in.

By announceing it now, im guessing he's going to be coming regardless of which league we'r playing in nxt season, which is good to see. Theres a resonable threat of us being in the championship nxt season so he's showing some commitment. 

Powell would of been my first choice but im still very happy with Furner.

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Great appointment.

on what basis?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

Probably the same basis you thought Powell was a great appointment.

I asked a simple question because I genuinely don’t see a great record.

youre still upset that I want Widnes to win tomorrow I see. ???

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

10 hours ago, Loiner said:

Probably the same basis you thought Powell was a great appointment.

He’s good isn’t he

13 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I asked a simple question because I genuinely don’t see a great record.

youre still upset that I want Widnes to win tomorrow I see. ???

No Leeds fan is bothered that you want Widnes to win . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Well let's see what the new coach does with his squad . It will I think take into two seasons to get a settled side , although 2016 they were in middle 8s and following year well I don't have to repeat that story 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

3 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

No Leeds fan is bothered that you want Widnes to win . 

I disagree based on the replies ???

2 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I disagree based on the replies ???

Don't think so we expect you to always want Leeds opponents to win . that's the culture of the neighbouring towns against Leeds . We certainly don't expect you ever to be neutral 

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, Taxi4stevesmith said:

No. Not until you win something.

so on that basis Furner is not a good coach then?

Why have Leeds employed him?

9 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

so on that basis Furner is not a good coach then?

Why have Leeds employed him?

Whichever coach we got next it has to be realised there is a hell of a lot of wok to be done to get the team fighting amongst the top again. Lots of dead wood is now floating about in this squad and players at the fag end of their careers hanging on that are not longer what they were, or liabilities because they are always on the treatment table.

I'm happy enough with Furner, whether he has been a success or not up to now is up for debate but he brings a wealth of experience in the elite competition, knows the club but is not over familiar and will be very keen and hungry to show his worth as head coach again. all the ingredients are there for him to do well, we will see.

2 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

Whichever coach we got next it has to be realised there is a hell of a lot of wok to be done to get the team fighting amongst the top again. Lots of dead wood is now floating about in this squad and players at the fag end of their careers hanging on that are not longer what they were, or liabilities because they are always on the treatment table.

I'm happy enough with Furner, whether he has been a success or not up to now is up for debate but he brings a wealth of experience in the elite competition, knows the club but is not over familiar and will be very keen and hungry to show his worth as head coach again. all the ingredients are there for him to do well, we will see.

Thank you for the reply - it seems some people immediately go on the defensive when a simple quetion is asked

I appreciate your reply

Archived