Rugby League on Sky Tv

red rose

At next weeks meeting, hopefully on the agenda should be games on Sky for next season.

RL chiefs should tell and not ask Sky, that there will be no more Thursday night games.

Friday night games wherever possible should not be cross county games,and certainly the Hull clubs should not be traveling to Lancashire(using old Money),and vice versa.

Should be double header on Saturday,game in this country 3.00pm,and Catalans one weekend 5.00pm,Toronto the following weekend 7.00pm

On Sunday show a championship or league 1 game each weekend.This season the top 6 in the championship was really exciting,plus in League 1,Bradford ,York or Workington could have been shown.Next season Newcastle look to be showing a lot of ambition, let the public have a look at them occasionally.

Obviously Super League is the pinnacle of our sport in this country,but if you get 2 teams of equal ability,you will get a good game to watch no matter what the level is.

6 minutes ago, red rose said:

At next weeks meeting, hopefully on the agenda should be games on Sky for next season.

RL chiefs should tell and not ask Sky, that there will be no more Thursday night games.

Friday night games wherever possible should not be cross county games,and certainly the Hull clubs should not be traveling to Lancashire(using old Money),and vice versa.

Should be double header on Saturday,game in this country 3.00pm,and Catalans one weekend 5.00pm,Toronto the following weekend 7.00pm

On Sunday show a championship or league 1 game each weekend.This season the top 6 in the championship was really exciting,plus in League 1,Bradford ,York or Workington could have been shown.Next season Newcastle look to be showing a lot of ambition, let the public have a look at them occasionally.

Obviously Super League is the pinnacle of our sport in this country,but if you get 2 teams of equal ability,you will get a good game to watch no matter what the level is.

How much of the TV deal/revenue would you be willing to hand back for the above?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

24 minutes ago, red rose said:

RL chiefs should tell and not ask Sky

And when Sky say no, what next?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

How much of the TV deal/revenue would you be willing to hand back for the above?

That would only be bringing forward the inevitable, I would be surprised if Rugby League attained 70% of the present contract value from any broadcaster in the next contract.

Rugby League has been my passion all my life, these days I still watch all the televised games but more out of habit than being drawn by the quality on offer, it is simply not very good, add in the gamesmanship, cheating and time wasting that has over the last 3 or so seasons crept into the game and in each season seems to be gaining apace, for this veiwer it really is becoming a "turn off"

May be that I forego SL next season and purchase a NRL pass, I find it to be of a much better quality and standard.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That would only be bringing forward the inevitable, I would be surprised if Rugby League attained 70% of the present contract value from any broadcaster in the next contract.

Rugby League has been my passion all my life, these days I still watch all the televised games but more out of habit than being drawn by the quality on offer, it is simply not very good, add in the gamesmanship, cheating and time wasting that has over the last 3 or so seasons crept into the game and in each season seems to be gaining apace, for this veiwer it really is becoming a "turn off"

May be that I purchase a NRL pass, I find it to be of a much better quality and standard.

Don’t disagree with lots of that, I realised recently I actually enjoy listening to podcasts, watching Back chat and reading forums more than the actually watching the SL (middle 8s aside).  Watched the NRL playoffs yesterday and today and it has been much better.  The game is in a mess and desperately needs some leadership and sorting out.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Sky have lost a lot of live sport over the last few years,if they got rid of RL,what are they going to replace it with.

Spoke to couple of friends who are Wigan fans who where at the match against Wakefield,they both stated that the crowd was nowhere near the 9000 stated and was much nearer 5000.Thursday nights are a joke.

Why was Hull v Cas, on last night, when London v,Toulouse are playing this weekend and not on TV.

Next week they are showing Widnes v Halifax,who is deciding on the actual games to be shown.The most fanatical of Widnes and Fax fans can't even be looking forward to that.

Sky do have darts on a Thursday. I'm not sure it's a sport myself there you go.

I would be all for the Saturday 3.00pm slot on Sky. They have a bit of a dip them as they can't show live football and it would sandwich us in between a Premiership and Championship match. 

Whilst it does clash with the traditional football slot, it is now the only time we can play where we can guarantee not to clash with a major football match, as it was important, it would be on TV!

Obviously, we'll go in whatever slot Sky dictate, but Saturday afternoon is a lot better than Thursday nights. The only concern for me would be a clash with amateur matches.

5 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Sky do have darts on a Thursday. I'm not sure it's a sport myself there you go.

I would be all for the Saturday 3.00pm slot on Sky. They have a bit of a dip them as they can't show live football and it would sandwich us in between a Premiership and Championship match. 

Whilst it does clash with the traditional football slot, it is now the only time we can play where we can guarantee not to clash with a major football match, as it was important, it would be on TV!

Obviously, we'll go in whatever slot Sky dictate, but Saturday afternoon is a lot better than Thursday nights. The only concern for me would be a clash with amateur matches.

Got an idea, if anyone likes their Rugby League on a Saturday afternoon and they have access to a community club give it a go, they will be welcomed with open arms, and who knows if it gets popular it may even grow!

Weekend afternoon matches on TV in summer, get you bumps felt.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Got an idea, if anyone likes their Rugby League on a Saturday afternoon and they have access to a community club give it a go, they will be welcomed with open arms, and who knows if it gets popular it may even grow!

I'd much rather get out to watch a community club on a Saturday afternoon. Maybe have a tea time kick off on Sky then the supporters and players of the community clubs could watch it in the clubhouse

21 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Do the RFL talk to BT SPORT at all, or just sign up to SKY when each contract comes to its close.

Theres been quite a few accounts of what happened in Jan 2014, and none of them suggest much investigation of alternatives was carried out. Sky "offered" to roll over an expanded version of the old contract plus an upfront bung, and we took it. Arms were certainly twisted. 

Now, that's not to say that a full tender would have produced a substantially different result. We've looked at it on here a few times and we always end up concluding that we're getting pretty much the going rate for the eyeballs and inventory that we provide. 

But Elstone has made it pretty clear that he wants to do it properly this time, which is why it's so important to him to get control of the competition NOW, so he's got a couple of years to shape the tender and sound out options, rather than having to desperately take what's on offer at the last minute. 

49 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Theres been quite a few accounts of what happened in Jan 2014, and none of them suggest much investigation of alternatives was carried out. Sky "offered" to roll over an expanded version of the old contract plus an upfront bung, and we took it. Arms were certainly twisted. 

Now, that's not to say that a full tender would have produced a substantially different result. We've looked at it on here a few times and we always end up concluding that we're getting pretty much the going rate for the eyeballs and inventory that we provide. 

But Elstone has made it pretty clear that he wants to do it properly this time, which is why it's so important to him to get control of the competition NOW, so he's got a couple of years to shape the tender and sound out options, rather than having to desperately take what's on offer at the last minute. 

Good luck to him.

6 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

If Sky are realistic about their veiled threats to cut what they pay for RL they will not use their usual tactic of before the contract is up slapping a take or leave it offer on the table.

IF Sky try that with a much reduced offer it would be very tempting for someone else to top it.

Elstone wants to get his ducks in a row so he can start early negotiations with any other interested parties.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 9/8/2018 at 10:05 AM, Harry Stottle said:

... add in the gamesmanship, cheating and time wasting that has over the last 3 or so seasons crept into the game and in each season seems to be gaining apace, for this viewer it really is becoming a "turn off"

Absolutely spot on.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 9/8/2018 at 11:13 AM, red rose said:

Sky have lost a lot of live sport over the last few years,if they got rid of RL,what are they going to replace it with.

Spoke to couple of friends who are Wigan fans who where at the match against Wakefield,they both stated that the crowd was nowhere near the 9000 stated and was much nearer 5000.Thursday nights are a joke.

Why was Hull v Cas, on last night, when London v,Toulouse are playing this weekend and not on TV.

Next week they are showing Widnes v Halifax,who is deciding on the actual games to be shown.The most fanatical of Widnes and Fax fans can't even be looking forward to that.

absolute rubbish, i have never missed a game at the dw and can guess the crowd to within a couple of hundred and there was 9500 last week without a doubt.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Why is there never much sport on saturday nights? Saturday Night Super League seems a good bedfellow for Friday Night Super League, in terms of the TV show at least. Plus it's a good tv slot in terms of competition from other sports. GF is saturday night too. And the CL final

8 hours ago, Gorbals said:

Why is there never much sport on saturday nights? Saturday Night Super League seems a good bedfellow for Friday Night Super League, in terms of the TV show at least. Plus it's a good tv slot in terms of competition from other sports. GF is saturday night too. And the CL final

They had a 7.30pm Saturday game a few weeks back, so I had a quick look at viewing figs for that week:

Thurs - Wakey v Saints (136k)

Fri - Cas v Wire (112k)

Sat 3pm - Salford - v Widnes (52k)

Sat 5.15pm - Cats v Wigan (85k)

Sat 7.30pm - TWP v HKR (85k)

Disclaimer: I have no way of finding out if any of these were on Main Event or Mix, so the numbers are based on their primary channel only.

9 hours ago, Gorbals said:

Why is there never much sport on saturday nights?

Its only a guess, but think the TV companies know their business,  who watched in the past, who watches what in the present, when, who will advertise , what competing programmes there are on other channels. ......

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

They had a 7.30pm Saturday game a few weeks back, so I had a quick look at viewing figs for that week:

Thurs - Wakey v Saints (136k)

Fri - Cas v Wire (112k)

Sat 3pm - Salford - v Widnes (52k)

Sat 5.15pm - Cats v Wigan (85k)

Sat 7.30pm - TWP v HKR (85k)

And here, in a nutshell, is why Sky TV like Thursday night games.

When they get pretty much 50% more people watching Thursday night games than Saturday night games, you can see why they will continue ignore those fans who complain about Thursday night games.

24 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

When they get pretty much 50% more people watching Thursday night games than Saturday night games, you can see why they will continue ignore those fans who complain about Thursday night games.

I might add that those numbers don't just show why Sky likes Thursday nights, but that more than 50k rugby league fans like watching on TV on Thursdays than want/can watch on  a Saturday. 

I never miss a Thursday on TV for the very reason that some fans don't attend in person - it's a work night. 

There's more than one way to be a fan of the game and it would seem odd to do away with what seems to be our most watched TV slot. 

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

I might add that those numbers don't just show why Sky likes Thursday nights, but that more than 50k rugby league fans like watching on TV on Thursdays than want/can watch on  a Saturday. 

I never miss a Thursday on TV for the very reason that some fans don't attend in person - it's a work night. 

There's more than one way to be a fan of the game and it would seem odd to do away with what seems to be our most watched TV slot. 

It is a difficult one, because the Friday is often higher that the Thursday night, those quoted above are one example. We then have added complexity of what programmes are competing with it. 

But yes, the Thursday's do seem to show up well for RL. I must admit I enjoy watching a Thursday game on TV. In fact I am loving the amount of live RL that we are getting at the moment. This weekend:

Thurs - Cas v Hudds

Fri - Cronulla v Panthers

- Wigan v Wire

Sat - Souths v St George

- Widnes v Halifax

- Toronto v Toulouse

Sun (OURLEAGUE) - Crusaders v Doncaster

Archived