NFL season 2018/19

Crazy start to the weeks fixtures as Chargers defeat Chiefs 29-28 coming from 14 points down.

For me the biggest change in the NFL is they are virtually eliminating defence 28-21 Chiefs in the dying seconds and they get called or pass interference.  Look yourselves (13: 40 into video) what pass interference? Fair play to Rivers for having the cajones to go for the two point conversion with four seconds left.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Irish Saint said:

Crazy start to the weeks fixtures as Chargers defeat Chiefs 29-28 coming from 14 points down.

For me the biggest change in the NFL is they are virtually eliminating defence 28-21 Chiefs in the dying seconds and they get called or pass interference.  Look yourselves (13: 40 into video) what pass interference? Fair play to Rivers for having the cajones to go for the two point conversion with four seconds left.

But missed the head to head impact on Rivers a few plays before.

Massive from the Chargers who usually find a way to lose these. 

A couple of cheeky Saturday games so thats a nice Sunday morning treat for me.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I hoped that this week's results would have made the play -off picture a lot clearer. But being the NFL... Dallas's defeat opens up the NFC east again tho they should still win the division. Seattle looked nailed on for a wild card but  defeat to the 49ers has put that on hold. Sadly ,victory for Pittsburgh  Baltimore, Indy and the Titans has now virtually eliminated Cleveland from the play-offs. Cheer up Cleveland fans you are on the way to being contenders again, I'm a Jets fan nothing since days they were quarterbacked by Ken O'Brien ah those glory days when the Pats almost always finished bottom of the division.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:09 PM, Irish Saint said:

I hoped that this week's results would have made the play -off picture a lot clearer. But being the NFL... Dallas's defeat opens up the NFC east again tho they should still win the division. Seattle looked nailed on for a wild card but  defeat to the 49ers has put that on hold. Sadly ,victory for Pittsburgh  Baltimore, Indy and the Titans has now virtually eliminated Cleveland from the play-offs. Cheer up Cleveland fans you are on the way to being contenders again, I'm a Jets fan nothing since days they were quarterbacked by Ken O'Brien ah those glory days when the Pats almost always finished bottom of the division.

The Jets will be playoffs in 2 years.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

Thoughts on the Super Bowl?  It does look very open this year. I mean the Saints ground out a win against Carolina to keep the wins coming in, yet it wasn't a great showing. Newtons been injured for weeks, which has affected the Panthers game alot. 

NE, lose 2 in a row. Steelers still in the Hunt. The Rams still won 11 so far and Houston look strong without giving that clear sign they can be THE team. Dallas in the mix too as are others Ive not mentioned such as Chicago. 

Out of interest, given the Super Bowl winners are 8-9 times out of 10 not in the WCard round, what is the usual max games a year a team looses and still comes up as a Winner? a 10-6 season?

3 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Thoughts on the Super Bowl?  It does look very open this year. I mean the Saints ground out a win against Carolina to keep the wins coming in, yet it wasn't a great showing. Newtons been injured for weeks, which has affected the Panthers game alot. 

NE, lose 2 in a row. Steelers still in the Hunt. The Rams still won 11 so far and Houston look strong without giving that clear sign they can be THE team. Dallas in the mix too as are others Ive not mentioned such as Chicago. 

Out of interest, given the Super Bowl winners are 8-9 times out of 10 not in the WCard round, what is the usual max games a year a team looses and still comes up as a Winner? a 10-6 season?

I said the Rams before the start of the season, but I’m veering towards the Bears now.

Just think post-season play tends to see slightly more conservative playcalling and an emphasis on defense.

Very open as you say though which is great.

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I said the Rams before the start of the season, but I’m veering towards the Bears now.

Just think post-season play tends to see slightly more conservative playcalling and an emphasis on defense.

Very open as you say though which is great.

I agree things become more defensive minded as the year goes on. In the play offs the downside of risk is being KOed then and there so it does lend to less risks. 

I also think factors such as the defences start figuring out the new offensive schemes that were dazzling in the early weeks and find ways to disrupt them. Injuries to key personnel on offence will be a big factor here as the loss of a top receiver or a QB is huge.    Maybe the weather too plays a factor in making it harder to play a expansive game...

All in all a very exciting year. For some reason I can't see the Rams winning and feel it could be a real curveball such as Houston. 

Going out on a limb here as they still aren't guaranteed even a wildcard. I shall go for the Baltimore Ravens who have got on a roll and as is stated good defence end things.

I did have a punt on the Vikings before the season started.

7Saints defeat the Steelers all roads in the NFC now go through New Orleans. Steelers defeat means Baltimore now top AFC North and if they defeat Cleveland next week will go through as AFC North division winners totally eliminating Steelers from play offs. Kansas City's defeat means number one seed in AFC still up for grabs as Patriots defeated the Bills.

Final wildcard in NFC now between Vikings and Eagles.

Final wildcard in AFC between Titans and Colts who play each other next week. Tho should Houston lose again winner will claim AFC  South division.

A dramatic last day of the regular season sees the Colts , who at one stage were 1=5 grab the last AFC wildcard with a win at the Titans.Kansas City secure number one spot routing the Raiders and Baltimore clinch the AFC North with a final defence stand against Cleveland.

AFC play -offs Colts at Texans and Chargers at Ravens . Chiefs and Patriots with the bye week.

To the NFC were the final wildcard was a tale of two quarterbacks. Nick Files equalled the record of 25 consecutive completed passes as the Eagles blizted the Redskins whilst Cousins was abysmal as the Vikings were toothless against the Bears.No1 seed the Saints didn't start any of their starters and were routed by the Panthes.

NFC playoffs Eagles at Bears and Seahawks at Dallas.Saints and Rams with the bye.

Today is Black Monday in the NFL a bad day if you are a coach with a losing record  or in some cases even a winning record! 

Today, Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals, Buccaners, and Broncos fired their head coaches. Bengals said their head coach had "left". Earlier in the season Browns and Packers had fired their coaches.

There may yet be more.

Playoffs baby!

Old NFL (Ravens & Bears) adage that defence wins superbowls v the new school NFL (St Louis, Orleans and Kansas) passing penalties, sexy QBs etc

Oh, and the Patriots with their 9th straight bye! 9!

Colts @ Texans. Ill go wi Andrew Luck as Houston's offence is too reliant on Hopkins

Seahawks @ Cowboys. Predictions are for a low scorer. Wilson is better than Prescott so Hawks hopefully

Chargers @ Ravens. Game of the weekend for me. Ravens just. Maybe

Eagles @ Bears. Bears just. Defence again wins the day but if that Eagles front 7 gets to Trubisky then anything could happen

New Orleans will play in a Dome all the way. They're favourites right now i reckon.

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Playoffs baby!

Old NFL (Ravens & Bears) adage that defence wins superbowls v the new school NFL (St Louis, Orleans and Kansas) passing penalties, sexy QBs etc

Drew Brees sexy............. there's hope for me yet.:smile:

Image result for DREW BREES

On 1/2/2019 at 7:42 AM, MattSantos said:

Playoffs baby!

Oh, and the Patriots with their 9th straight bye! 9!

Colts @ Texans. Ill go wi Andrew Luck as Houston's offence is too reliant on Hopkins

Seahawks @ Cowboys. Predictions are for a low scorer. Wilson is better than Prescott so Hawks hopefully

Chargers @ Ravens. Game of the weekend for me. Ravens just. Maybe

Eagles @ Bears. Bears just. Defence again wins the day but if that Eagles front 7 gets to Trubisky then anything could happen

New Orleans will play in a Dome all the way. They're favourites right now i reckon.

For me:

Colts

Cowboys

Chargers

Bears

Interestingly Sky are showing NBC’s ProFootball Talk right now as a preview of the playoffs.

I think this is a good move providing it doesn’t mean a reduction in Sky’s own homemade NFL programming.

There’s no doubt that the UK NFL audience is getting more sophisticated and wants more and more detailed previews to the games.

I used to like watching highlights on channel 4 ... made the game seen faster... more compact!

i liked the Patriots and the team that played in Red ( cant remember the nsme?) but I haven’t watched a game in years ... probably decades! Way too many stoppages and ad breaks to keep my interest... is it still the same ! 

But a name me from the past crops up LA Raiders ... didn’t they have black shirts???

So the Colts and Cowboys advance to the divisional round of the playoffs.

I wouldn’t be too surprised now if Indianapolis go to Kansas City and win despite being underdogs.  They seem to have a balanced offence, a good QB, decent defence and a ton of momentum.  If they can take the crowd out of the game early it could be very interesting.

As for Dallas, I think much will depend upon running back Elliott, but I just can’t see them getting past either the Rams or the Saints in the NFC.  I can’t see them containing either of those offences and their road record this year is indifferent.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So the Colts and Cowboys advance to the divisional round of the playoffs.

I wouldn’t be too surprised now if Indianapolis go to Kansas City and win despite being underdogs.  They seem to have a balanced offence, a good QB, decent defence and a ton of momentum.  If they can take the crowd out of the game early it could be very interesting.

As for Dallas, I think much will depend upon running back Elliott, but I just can’t see them getting past either the Rams or the Saints in the NFC.  I can’t see them containing either of those offences and their road record this year is indifferent.

I reckon Cows are done. Good match up with those brilliant line backers against Seattles run. Saying that, they did the Saints on the back of that defense.

Archived