New York team & tests still in the pipeline

Manxmanc

I understand that Rick Wilby has been talking about tests in New York still being on the table and also the bid for a team in New York. 

It appears that they ran out of time for this year with the tests, but plans are still being drawn up for 2019; notably, it is claimed there is communication with the NRL.

Details are to be revealed in the next USARL podcast, whenever that might be.

I can't remember the source, but MoK's post about a new USA team reminded me of this article from a few days ago.

34 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I understand that Rick Wilby has been talking about tests in New York still being on the table and also the bid for a team in New York. 

It appears that they ran out of time for this year with the tests, but plans are still being drawn up for 2019; notably, it is claimed there is communication with the NRL.

I can't remember the source, but MoK's post about a new USA team reminded me of this article from a few days ago.

If there is a team in NY the game against the new franchise in Philly could be WAR!

9 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

Off course Mr Wilby will want to keep himself in the limelight, it would not be a good career move to go underground, whatever his next move happens to be.

There was a very good article a few months ago from an Aussie journalist who quite elegantly explained why a Pro Rugby League club in New York had as much chance of life as Monty Python's Parrot.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/opinion/matthew-hall-why-new-york-rugby-league-team-is-doomed-to-fail-with-or-without-jarryd-hayne/news-story/35cff4ed9ea21807e3d30c8d30c85b78&ved=2ahUKEwjy85699q_dAhVOQcAKHWIrBAoQFjAEegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3IbxFjDrhWXU4yAl5EMKB-

If a test is to be played in the USA the countries involved will want money up front after the debacle in Denver. If a team From New York wants the enter the British competition the RFL would surely want financial guarantee's, or money up front as regards teams travelling expenses and accommodation.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Ricky Wilby is a former PE teacher from Huddersfield. It doesn't sound like he is best suited to lead the New York expansion

Of course he isn't.  He stupidly thought that staging a match of a sport which New Yorkers know nothing about between two teams from places which they have never even heard of could be a success in the Big Apple.

57 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Lyndon B Johnson was a teacher. He managed a few things more difficult than running a New York RL side

Haha false equivalence! Ultimately he was an American who became president. Wilby is not an American who is trying to start a rugby league team in arguably the toughest market in arguably the toughest city to do so 

2 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I would see the skolars as feeder team for toronto a place to blood north american players.

Long way to travel, but could be. Until I saw money being spent by Argyle on Skolars in such a way that suggests they aren’t being moved, I will retain healthy scepticism

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Long way to travel, but could be. Until I saw money being spent by Argyle on Skolars in such a way that suggests they aren’t being moved, I will retain healthy scepticism

Come On...be honest.  even if he spent the money in a way you thought was good it would still would not be enough, or not itemized in the right place, etc. etc.  Come on...be honest.

Archived