TRL Helpdesk

Gmail have locked me out of my email account. I have had this problem intermittently since they got me to open a google account last year. I can usually recover it, but not this time. They refuse to accept that I am who I say I am.

Can anyone suggest a good, free email provider so I can bin google?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

Gmail have locked me out of my email account. I have had this problem intermittently since they got me to open a google account last year. I can usually recover it, but not this time. They refuse to accept that I am who I say I am.

mail.com seem OK, I also have an old yahoo.co.uk account that seems OK when I need it, I'm told it's fairly simple to set up your own domain so you could be tonyXIII@tonyXIII.com for 99p a year via godaddy  (other domain services are available) 

Thanks everyone. I've gone with mail.com and been able to keep my user name and my email address has only changed by one letter. Shifting my contacts list might be an issue. Let's see how it goes.

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Thanks everyone. I've gone with mail.com and been able to keep my user name and my email address has only changed by one letter. Shifting my contacts list might be an issue. Let's see how it goes.

I use GMail, but also have an alternative email address (little used, but sometimes useful) at Mail.com and both accounts can access the same address book/contacts in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I use GMail, but also have an alternative email address (little used, but sometimes useful) at Mail.com and both accounts can access the same address book/contacts in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Thanks for that, but I suspect that my inability to remember my gmail password might pose a problem. Rather stupidly, I have allowed google to remember my password. My old password served me well for years, but then my boss wanted me to open a facebook account, facebook wouldn't allow me to use the same gmail account that was linked to my wife's facebook account so I opened a new gmail account. Google also wanted me to open a google account about the same  time. About a year ago, google made me 'recover'my account then reset my password. Then again. Now I haven't a clue what my active password is. Telling google to f off probably didn't help.

7 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

When I set up my gmail account many moons ago, l was asked to add a backup email address in case of resetting the account.

6 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

When I set up my gmail account many moons ago, l was asked to add a backup email address in case of resetting the account.

I didn't have a backup email address 15 years ago.

I have had other email addresses - OTE (Greek) BTinternet (UK) Work related email addresses, etc. - but now I don't. I shall when I get this mess sorted. 

PS. Thanks

42 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Always useful to have a backup email address for confirmation, just in case. Even if it turns out you never have to use it.

Just like having a backup internet browser, in case your usual one gets compromised and you need to download a fix.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I use hotmail... I think thats a bit old hat now!

I had a “business proposal” from some chancer who claims to be in Sales, but not your average sales, no he deals with multi billion industries, he sells to high level executives, he wins trust, it’s what he does. He’s bloody brilliant in a debate.

all that and a hotmail email address. 

I am meeting him next Friday, it will probably not go well for him. 

20 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I had a “business proposal” from some chancer who claims to be in Sales, but not your average sales, no he deals with multi billion industries, he sells to high level executives, he wins trust, it’s what he does. He’s bloody brilliant in a debate.

Tune in next week, when Shadow gives his bank details to a Nigerian Prince...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Tune in next week, when Shadow gives his bank details to a Nigerian Prince...

I’m tempted to put the entire text of his email up to give everyone a laugh but that’s probably unethical 

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

He's a "chancer", "he wins trust" and "he's bloody brilliant in a debate".

It's Liam Fox isn't it? David Davis? Boris?

Archived