Disciplinary - Jackson Hastings

DoubleD

A bit surprised he only got 2 games...............think he's lucky. That could easily have broken O'Brien's jaw/eye socket.

By the laws of the game, the grading was probably correct, but he should've got the maximum 3 games for that given the severity in my opinion.

I don't want this to turn into another disciplinary bashing thread but I think, in general, some punishments are overly lenient in the grading.

It was needless and reckless. We need to be thinking about the next generation of players and what message does it send out if we don't protect the exciting pivots of the game and players of smaller stature (I realise the offender was actually a pivot in this occasion too).

O'Brien has had a lot of head knocks in his career, I do fear he'll end up with some permanent damage from it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t forsee this being a major problem for Salford. They’re on eight points now, a points tally that would guarantee a MPG berth every year, and with the confidence around them after four wins in a row, I can’t see a capitulation that would see them finish 4th or 5th. They need one win out of the next three for ‘safety’. 

1 hour ago, red rose said:

Salford will beat both London and Toulouse.

Toronto v London in MPG

I would agree with the above. Sadly TO don't look good enough to see off Salford. Salford on present form are the 8th best side in the country. 

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

I would agree with the above. Sadly TO don't look good enough to see off Salford. Salford on present form are the 8th best side in the country. 

Out of interest, S80, to which of the super 8s eight do you think they are superior?

I thought it was a light punishment tbh. I think it is another example of the RFL disciplinary pretending that they are tough on player welfare.

It was a shocker and it knocked a player cold out. What are we waiting for? A broken jaw? Worse?

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

A bit surprised he only got 2 games...............think he's lucky. That could easily have broken O'Brien's jaw/eye socket.

By the laws of the game, the grading was probably correct, but he should've got the maximum 3 games for that given the severity in my opinion.

I don't want this to turn into another disciplinary bashing thread but I think, in general, some punishments are overly lenient in the grading.

It was needless and reckless. We need to be thinking about the next generation of players and what message does it send out if we don't protect the exciting pivots of the game and players of smaller stature (I realise the offender was actually a pivot in this occasion too).

O'Brien has had a lot of head knocks in his career, I do fear he'll end up with some permanent damage from it.

Haven't seen the incident but there is a tendency in contact sport to penalise outcome rather than intent. I'd far rather see a higher tariff for a deliberate/reckless attempt that does little to no damage than one where through circumstance and a culmination of events (a crusher tackle or high tackle for example) a more serious injury occurs. There's still a lot of ignorance of how the human body works in terms of 'late' tackles and kinetic energy, particularly when players fall or stoop at last second into what would without that would have being legitimate contact.

Some (clearly not all) crusher tackles are being called when there's an entanglement of players and shear weight of bodies mean that pressure was put upon a players head/neck, however it's virtually impossible to dictate how any one single tackle with multiple players involved works out particularly when you have the attacker trying their best to offload, bust the tackle and then immediately get up so are twisting themselves. Players cannot simply change their energy/motion to avoid unexpected occurrences.movements, the brain simply cannot process fast enough (hence why crash investigators state that reaction times to unexpected incidents are often in the 1.5s range).

There's been a few disciplinary outcomes where I've thought the RFL have used really poor thinking in how they came to their conclusions, both in letting off and indeed punishing players. Inconsistency is also a big problem. There's a big weight put on players to prove they are not guilty as opposed to being proven guilty without doubt or ignoring simple physics. Even the appeal system is unfair as you can only provide a limited amount of video evidence, adding extra punishment for appealing and still being found guilty/losing appeal is also wrong IMHO. That's not how justice should work, particularly when someone is genuinely trying to clear their name.

Should have been at least three (3) games minimum. The sad part is that Salford had to bring in this goon to stay up, now he is suspended and will probably not be there next year since he will just move to the next highest bidder. No way to build a proper club as far as I'm concerned, wrong way to go about it.

Haven't seen the incident but there is a tendency in contact sport to penalise outcome rather than intent.

That's because most are based on UK law, which does the same thing. Example - reckless driving versus causing death by reckless driving. In both cases the action was the same but the result means the difference between a ban/fine and a prison sentence.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Should have been at least three (3) games minimum. The sad part is that Salford had to bring in this goon to stay up, now he is suspended and will probably not be there next year since he will just move to the next highest bidder. No way to build a proper club as far as I'm concerned, wrong way to go about it.

Irrespective of how many games Hastings got,how many “goons” have TWP signed to achieve what they want.

Most clubs have signed players before signing deadline its within the rules of the game.

18 minutes ago, WSCR said:

Irrespective of how many games Hastings got,how many “goons” have TWP signed to achieve what they want.

Most clubs have signed players before signing deadline its within the rules of the game.

Indeed. It is an odd criticism tbh.

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ha ha and Toronto didn't make any signings for the 8s? Are you saying Toronto are showing the way to build a proper club?

15 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Luke Burgess should of got a medal instead of a ban for putting a shot on jake emmitt

that's the spirit

?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Archived