15-16 Sept: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

A deeply uninspiring end to the home season for the Cru. Although we were able to match Donny for several periods in the game the usual besetting sins of unforced errors and dropped balls in crucial positions (there was one long range Donny try where the scorer probably still can't believe his luck!) did for us. All credit to Donny's players, who when they saw a chance leapt on it like a hungry lion on a wilderbeest (disgusting analogy of the week). 296 of us there on a rather humid afternoon, I make this year's average gate to be 378, 9.6% up on last season with the highest being (surprise, surprise) Bradford at 886 and the lowest Hemel at 215. Hope we can do better at Keighley next week as I'm probably going to be there.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West wales need to withdraw from the league they are an embarrassment to our sport and the league. 12 players available to play at home. The new full time coach need to bring half an NRL team with him to stop the heavy losses. Skolars once again need to look in the mirror as they were atrocious too. What a bad season we’ve had with some players that are an embarrassment to the club but and embarrassment to themselves.

Propely gutted for the Bears this afternoon..real blood n thunder backs to the wall performance with, due to illness ,only 3 subs .Three top spectacular tries n accurate goal kicking throughout

Think it might be fair to say had it not been Carl Forster's swan song home game and his subsequent one man wrecking ball performance the points would have been going back to the BPA

Fantastic hospitity and welcome from the Haven Club though ,really appreciated , hope what ever issues the club may have that they get through them

Enjoyed my first trip to Hemel, a good 200-250 from York made the trip. Nice setup at Pennine Way and good to see Hemel Stags branding around the ground, gave it a homeley feel. Result was never in doubt, though Hemel put some good passages of play together. Just wish Hemel were based there and put some roots down to help grow the club but they have their reasons and that's probably best left for another thread. 

So promotion comes down to avoiding defeat against Whitehaven in a weeks time. I expect 4000+ at Bootham Crescent and the match to be streamed live. 

59 minutes ago, Rach said:

Propely gutted for the Bears this afternoon..real blood n thunder backs to the wall performance with, due to illness ,only 3 subs .Three top spectacular tries n accurate goal kicking throughout

Think it might be fair to say had it not been Carl Forster's swan song home game and his subsequent one man wrecking ball performance the points would have been going back to the BPA

Fantastic hospitity and welcome from the Haven Club though ,really appreciated , hope what ever issues the club may have that they get through them

If it hadn't been rugby league I would have been amazed that Carl Forster was not nominated for amongst those for coach of the year.

Small squad - he plays as well,and plays a very important role on the pitch - a takeover 'started' and then not finished,as well as financial issues during the campaign and rumours of pay cuts for all the players - while being so influential and inspiring players return from retirement to play for him.

He's had a fantastic 2018.I wish him well.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

14 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If it hadn't been rugby league I would have been amazed that Carl Forster was not nominated for amongst those for coach of the year.

Small squad - he plays as well,and plays a very important role on the pitch - a takeover 'started' and then not finished,as well as financial issues during the campaign and rumours of pay cuts for all the players - while being so influential and inspiring players return from retirement to play for him.

He's had a fantastic 2018.I wish him well.

The fact that John Kear is nominated for League 1 coach of the year and Forster isn’t is laughable. 

The Bulls play a very boring style of play and, despite having the best squad in the league, might not even get promoted. 

3 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

A deeply uninspiring end to the home season for the Cru. Although we were able to match Donny for several periods in the game the usual besetting sins of unforced errors and dropped balls in crucial positions (there was one long range Donny try where the scorer probably still can't believe his luck!) did for us. All credit to Donny's players, who when they saw a chance leapt on it like a hungry lion on a wilderbeest (disgusting analogy of the week). 296 of us there on a rather humid afternoon, I make this year's average gate to be 378, 9.6% up on last season with the highest being (surprise, surprise) Bradford at 886 and the lowest Hemel at 215. Hope we can do better at Keighley next week as I'm probably going to be there.

That's mostly fair - we did more than enough to make Donny look good, unfortunately. I think they'll struggle in the playoffs though, they looked far from convincing...

To our credit, though, I do think we scored the two tries of the game, first mid-air dive and put-down in the corner (which Dad got a perfect picture of) and our second was a cracking move involving passing, handling, and cutting through the defence...if only we had played consistently like that this year...... 

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Enjoyed my first trip to Hemel, a good 200-250 from York made the trip. Nice setup at Pennine Way and good to see Hemel Stags branding around the ground, gave it a homeley feel. Result was never in doubt, though Hemel put some good passages of play together. Just wish Hemel were based there and put some roots down to help grow the club but they have their reasons and that's probably best left for another thread. 

So promotion comes down to avoiding defeat against Whitehaven in a weeks time. I expect 4000+ at Bootham Crescent and the match to be streamed live. 

Rugby League Express has the attendance as 175. 

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Give it a rest will you? Stop being so antagonistic. Attendance figures are never accurate. Some teams in this division claim they average 400-500 yet the actual attendance is half that. 

8 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Give it a rest will you? Stop being so antagonistic. Attendance figures are never accurate. Some teams in this division claim they average 400-500 yet the actual attendance is half that. 

Not true. See the thread about fiddling attendances and read what people are saying.

rldfsignature.jpg

10 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I wish I'd gone round the other side to take a photograph of the stand and the people stood either side, but fair enough, if Hemel report it as 175 then that's what it officially is. I take my crowd stats from the League Express anyway for the York club programme so I can't complain.

23 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The nasty thought that occurred to me on the way home was that, given the RL's predilection for moving the P&R goalposts during the season, we all may only have two seasons to get the <naughty word> out of this division before all the clubs in it are consigned to the outer darkness.

Yeah, must admit it's been bothering me too....especially with some of the opinions being reported on some of the other threads....it won't only affect newer teams, but also a fair few traditional clubs, which won't go down well...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The nasty thought that occurred to me on the way home was that, given the RL's predilection for moving the P&R goalposts during the season, we all may only have two seasons to get the <naughty word> out of this division before all the clubs in it are consigned to the outer darkness.

I don't think the Championship is the land of milk and honey.

Staggered to read that Doncaster went against the Championship and League 1 Advisory Board - along with Sheffield Eagles and others. ( Martyn Sadler page in RLE )

Off to read about cognitive dissonance - Don't dis me or West Wales Raiders while I'm away,please.Thank you.

Just now, Angelic Cynic said:

I don't think the Championship is the land of milk and honey.

Staggered to read that Doncaster went against the Championship and League 1 Advisory Board - along with Sheffield Eagles and others. ( Martyn Sadler page in RLE )

Off to read about cognitive dissonance - Don't dis me or West Wales Raiders while I'm away,please.Thank you.

Especially when Carl Hall was one of the faces of the Championship and L1 teams urging them all to stick together.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived