15 Sept: Qualifiers: Toronto Wolfpack v Toulouse Olympique KO 5.30pm (UK time)

Who will win?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Toulouse Olympique
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/09/18 at 16:30

Well there are alot of fans really looking forward to this one.  Once again the 12:30 start which will affect crowd size somewhat but Toronto will be flying out there...Toronto by 20.

Note: Weather conditions just might affect this one as we might be having a hurricane, or the remnants of one....must keep eye on the weather.  If it happens the Heavens will open and that could change everything.

the qualifiers are getting more and more exciting and this is a massive game. Coming off an away loss to London and now traveling to Canada i see Toulouse losing by a big score as our boys work towards a full 80 minute performance. TWP by 20

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

the qualifiers are getting more and more exciting and this is a massive game. Coming off an away loss to London and now traveling to Canada i see Toulouse losing by a big score as our boys work towards a full 80 minute performance. TWP by 20

Bolding above is mine and to me is the key.  IMHO TWP should be sitting on 8 points, not 4!!!!

9 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Bolding above is mine and to me is the key.  IMHO TWP should be sitting on 8 points, not 4!!!!

agree but 4 it is and the next two games are must wins for us. stupid penalties need to be cut out. Also as Kman mentioned the weather might be dodgy this weekend and the famed Rhino ball in wet conditions might play havoc on both teams this Saturday. We both like to play fast and wide but with a slick ball it might be all about the game in the middle. no mud at least should help keep the pace up even in slick weather.

5 hours ago, fevtom said:

Both of these likely to be in the MPG along with London. Whichever side loses could be in danger of missing out all together.

Going off my predictions for the final matches I see Toronto finishing 4th, London 5th and Toulouse missing out.

No, I think that only two teams contest the MPG, although it could be an interesting concept. ?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, fevtom said:

Both of these likely to be in the MPG along with London. Whichever side loses could be in danger of missing out all together.

Going off my predictions for the final matches I see Toronto finishing 4th, London 5th and Toulouse missing out.

Not going to comment on the 1st line.

Yep, agree that TO could miss out.  Has there been complacency?  Certainly not a strong squad, depthwise, but if they can get on the front foot and match TWP there could be a shock.  I don’t see it myself but really intriguing tie.

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Not going to comment on the 1st line.

Yep, agree that TO could miss out.  Has there been complacency?  Certainly not a strong squad, depthwise, but if they can get on the front foot and match TWP there could be a shock.  I don’t see it myself but really intriguing tie.

Well if their plan is 5 years maybe the plan is to get the extra payment and extend the squad for next season.

They are probably not ready off the pitch yet anyway and as we saw with crusaders it may be disastourous to go up a year too soon

42 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Well if their plan is 5 years maybe the plan is to get the extra payment and extend the squad for next season.

They are probably not ready off the pitch yet anyway and as we saw with crusaders it may be disastourous to go up a year too soon

If TWP are not ready off the pitch with crowds averaging over 7000, what does that say about some of the current Super League teams, several of whom average a lower crowd despite being in a higher league?  Crusaders never had anywhere near the consistent level of support that TWP have, unfortunately.

Just now, Jampot said:

If TWP are not ready off the pitch with crowds averaging over 7000, what does that say about some of the current Super League teams, several of whom average a lower crowd despite being in a higher league?  Crusaders never had anywhere near the consistent level of support that TWP have, unfortunately.

We are ready to go up...this would keep the momentum on here in Toronto.  If Toronto is in SL next year crowd sizes will increase dramatically.  The city expects its teams to play in the top league (no matter the sport)...they will always support such teams, even if they are losing.

Lamport would have to be expanded this winter.  How many would they draw on a consistent basis if they stayed in SL for a few years????-certainly 14 000 per game is not a stretch by anyones imagination....probably more if they are winning...possibly many, many more.

T.O. over TO by 12.

But let's make the visitors feel at home here:

When UK teams visit, there is always a good part of the crowd who join in to sing God Save The Queen (many know the lyrics as it used to be sung in school when we were young, since we coincidentally share the same Queen).

Here are the lyrics to La Marseillaise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Marseillaise#Lyrics

I suggest we have those handy and join in to greet Toulouse when it is played on Saturday. Make them feel welcome, and then defeat them soundly on the field!

30 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

join in to sing God Save The Queen (many know the lyrics as it used to be sung in school when we were young, since we coincidentally share the same Queen).

Here are the lyrics to La Marseillaise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Marseillaise#Lyrics

I suggest we have those handy and join in to greet Toulouse when it is played on Saturday. Make them feel welcome, and then defeat them soundly on the field!

Are the national anthems played before every game? Have any English teams played the Canadian national anthem? I can't imagine national anthems being played here unless it's before an international fixture.

31 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Are the national anthems played before every game? Have any English teams played the Canadian national anthem? I can't imagine national anthems being played here unless it's before an international fixture.

This is one of the differences in sports culture between our countries. In North America is it the custom to play the national anthems of the country/countries of the participating teams (based on the city they represent, not the nationality of the players!) before every game of every professional sport. I understand that may seem strange, and not all of us think it's necessary or appropriate. So God Save The Queen has been played before O Canada at every Wolfpack home game so far, and this will be the first variation from that.

1 minute ago, John WP Fan said:

This is one of the differences in sports culture between our countries. In North America is it the custom to play the national anthems of the country/countries of the participating teams (based on the city they represent, not the nationality of the players!) before every game of every professional sport. I understand that may seem strange, and not all of us think it's necessary or appropriate. So God Save The Queen has been played before O Canada at every Wolfpack home game so far, and this will be the first variation from that.

It then becomes a cultural aspect of individual sports.  In ice hockey, for instance, playing the national anthem, before a domestic game, was still the norm when I last went to a match at Basingstoke a couple of years ago; I daresay it still is.  Either at Durham or Basingstoke (I forget which), some years ago, in addition to God Save the Queen, they would play Flower of Scotland, if the visitors were a Scottish side, such as Fife Flyers or Murrayfield Racers.

Part of the 'tradition' of inter-county Gaelic football and hurling matches includes a pre-match parade of the players behind a band of musicians, and then the singing of Amhran na bhFiann  ('The soldier's song')  I could, a little cynically, add that I have yet to see a team that bothers to wait until the end of the anthem, before its members move away and into position for the start of the game!

In shinty, Flower of Scotland is played and sung before the big game of the year, the Scottish Cup Final (the 2018 version of which, incidentally, will be televised live on BBC2 Scotland this coming Saturday afternoon [Sky channel 970, I think], with transmission starting at 1.45pm)

I just regret the modern custom and practice of having somebody sing the national anthem (with or without utterly inappropriate musical embellishments!), which seems to me to miss the point.  A national anthem is a collective expression of unity, not a chance for somebody to show off their actual/alleged musical talent, in response to which we seem to be expected to applaud!

Archived