Ridyard receives the all-clear

The Phantom Horseman

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Great news. Definitely don't need to rush him back and I'm sure the club will only play him if they're 100% sure he's ready but a welcome boost - not least to our numbers - once he's considered match-fit.

Is it really worth risking him for the remainder of this season?.

If he does play what position would he occupy? Would the half back combo be him and Thackery? I can't see Thackery not playing after his tremendous contribution during Ridyard's absence. Do you reckon Thackery is the full back for next season or would Hardcastle be a better bet. We seem to be signing for very position rather than some  some good forwards at the moment. I wonder what is in the pipeline?

10 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

If he does play what position would he occupy? Would the half back combo be him and Thackery? I can't see Thackery not playing after his tremendous contribution during Ridyard's absence. Do you reckon Thackery is the full back for next season or would Hardcastle be a better bet. We seem to be signing for very position rather than some  some good forwards at the moment. I wonder what is in the pipeline?

When he returns he'll be at half back, and Wildie will almost certainly return to alternating at 9 with Carlile.
I'd be surprised if the Thackeray experiment at 1 is persisted with, in fact given we have signed 3 new half backs alongside Ridyard I'd be a bit surprised if we retained him but who knows. He went well there from an attacking point of view but every coach in the country saw what happened when Hull put the ball in the air in the Cup game.
Think Hardcastle's future remains at centre/back row, can't see him at full back.

1 minute ago, jamescolin said:

So who do you see at fullback and do we need forwards in your opinion?

1. I suspect our full back for next year is not currently on our roster. MC said at the fans' forum that he was interested in bringing Will Sharp back and he'd certainly be a strong candidate for that position if we were to sign him. There are lots of developments still to come...for instance the likes of Scott Grix and QLT will be interesting Halifax too, and other players will become available in the coming weeks.

2. Yes we are short of forwards , or specifically middles. If the two rumoured Batley signings are confirmed we will have 5 or 6 possible edge 2nd rows but we definitely seem short of middles with Hock and Moore gone, probably Knowles and maybe Brooks too, and Wheeldon's early-season availability very much in doubt, which is what makes the Knowles situation puzzling as that's his best position. But again there will be plenty of movement in the coming weeks and you can pick up middles relatively cheaply compared to some other positions.

56 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Are Sharp and Robinson part of the same deal? 

No. Just a case of a player looking elsewhere that is all.

FWIW I don't see Sharp playing FB for us next season but also don't see him going anywhere else. In Robinson, Sharp, and Saltonstall we have 3 good players who can cover a number of positions in the backline. I guess you might take Heaton this time though.

7 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

No. Just a case of a player looking elsewhere that is all.

FWIW I don't see Sharp playing FB for us next season but also don't see him going anywhere else. In Robinson, Sharp, and Saltonstall we have 3 good players who can cover a number of positions in the backline. I guess you might take Heaton this time though.

We certainly need at least two decent centres, having only Hardcastle for '19. Do you think Fax would let Heaton go Blues Ox? Surely with your increased funds for next season you would want to keep him as he seems to continue to be a fixture in your squad when fit. Don't know if our funding would allow us to tempt him, particularly as it didn't last time. Would you like to keep him?

1 hour ago, Squidward said:

We certainly need at least two decent centres, having only Hardcastle for '19. Do you think Fax would let Heaton go Blues Ox? Surely with your increased funds for next season you would want to keep him as he seems to continue to be a fixture in your squad when fit. Don't know if our funding would allow us to tempt him, particularly as it didn't last time. Would you like to keep him?

From what I hear he has not been offered a contract. Unfortunately he has not had a lot of luck with injuries so that is probably the reason why he is likely not to be with us next season. I think we are crying out for a couple of quality centres to be honest but Heaton always gives 100% and you can rely on him when he is in the team, I just think that is an area where we should be looking for an increase in quality.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

From what I hear he has not been offered a contract. Unfortunately he has not had a lot of luck with injuries so that is probably the reason why he is likely not to be with us next season. I think we are crying out for a couple of quality centres to be honest but Heaton always gives 100% and you can rely on him when he is in the team, I just think that is an area where we should be looking for an increase in quality.

Yeah you and every other club in the championship. I can’t see Leeds letting Newman out on anything other than a short term basis. There is a distinct lack of quality centres in the championship and I’m not sure Fax will be able attract the quality they would like.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, Monkeymagic22 said:

Is it really worth risking him for the remainder of this season?.

As a Leigh fan, I would say 'definitely not'!

Seriously though, it would give me great pleasure to see  him play again, and I would hope that none of our present squad would treat him like a (now) former player did, at POR, when he got his injury.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Michael Bates said:

Think it's fair to say that tackle from Bodene cost us a lot of money as a club!

He was lucky to get away with it - and I'm a Leigh supporter! Ridyard is class, and I guess that makes him a target for those who don't possess that quality!

19 minutes ago, AlanE said:

He was lucky to get away with it - and I'm a Leigh supporter! Ridyard is class, and I guess that makes him a target for those who don't possess that quality!

Funny - I seem to recall you defended that late shot at the time...(although Thompson was a Leigh player then !!!!)

On 9/15/2018 at 11:14 AM, AlanE said:

Aye Riddy has interested lots of NRL clubs over his career Alan. You spout more sheeite than me these days and you are not only fishing

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, RobLambert said:

Funny - I seem to recall you defended that late shot at the time...(although Thompson was a Leigh player then !!!!)

If I did, I was wrong - especially having watched it again, since Riddy talked about it!

I seem to remember, at the time, that my initial opinion was that he was committed to a tackle. (I think you expressed the same view?) Then you stated that you had seen the challenge from another angle, and that it was a bad one? Did I not then bow to your opinion?

Archived