Fallen out of love with the Qualifiers

fevnut

Every week fevnut writes a blog that includes his ‘musings’ column. This week fevnut writes about why we have fallen out of love with the Qualifiers and we want to see the end of them but NOT for 2019. Far too late for that.

We also write about young Harry Newman and his fantastic try last week and how it reminded of another Fev youngster who went on to become one of the greatest of all Rugby League centres.

Access the article by using the link below and then by using the links on the right hand side you will be able to take a look at fevnut’s other postings.

http://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2018/09/fevnuts-blog-fev-v-dewsbury.html

19 hours ago, fevnut said:

Every week fevnut writes a blog that includes his ‘musings’ column. This week fevnut writes about why we have fallen out of love with the Qualifiers and we want to see the end of them but NOT for 2019. Far too late for that.

We also write about young Harry Newman and his fantastic try last week and how it reminded of another Fev youngster who went on to become one of the greatest of all Rugby League centres.

Access the article by using the link below and then by using the links on the right hand side you will be able to take a look at fevnut’s other postings.

Shock horror, fevnut has fallen out of love with the Qualifiers having seen his team not qualify for them... 

Coincidence...? 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

He makes some very valid points about the qualifiers. I hope the championship can now go back to a sensible spending cap so to allow a more even playing field. 1m as a absolute maximum. Ideally 800k and strict limits on non EU talent. 

I might be on my own here but I really enjoy the qualifiers. After the split occurs the qualifiers generate more interest than the super 8's for a while. It keeps the interest going until the super 8's heat up and I've loved them for the last 2 years. Earn your right to be in Super league by showing you're better than the team you're replacing.

Why do people go on about forcing a level playing field? (which will probably make the gap between Super League and the Championship wider since the it would level it down) We should be concentrating on making all the clubs (SL and Championship) focus on sustainability and where possible growth.

13 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

He makes some very valid points about the qualifiers. I hope the championship can now go back to a sensible spending cap so to allow a more even playing field. 1m as a absolute maximum. Ideally 800k and strict limits on non EU talent. 

Like Canadians?

6 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

I might be on my own here but I really enjoy the qualifiers. After the split occurs the qualifiers generate more interest than the super 8's for a while. It keeps the interest going until the super 8's heat up and I've loved them for the last 2 years. Earn your right to be in Super league by showing you're better than the team you're replacing.

Why do people go on about forcing a level playing field? (which will probably make the gap between Super League and the Championship wider since the it would level it down) We should be concentrating on making all the clubs (SL and Championship) focus on sustainability and where possible growth.

You are not alone. I have had more interest in the Qualifiers than the Top 8 this year. Especially because there is a genuine prospect of upsets

30 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

TWP are a unique case tbh... I hadn't thought of them when writing that comment. I have mixed feelings overall on them but hope they turn out to be a plus.

Haha - I'm just thinking - come mid-season next year, any limits on non-EU talent would include British players!

21 hours ago, fevnut said:

Just as an aside, Harry Newman was the first player born in 2000 to make a debut in Super League.

17 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Just as an aside, Harry Newman was the first player born in 2000 to make a debut in Super League.

Good fact. 

Does anyone know who the first player born in the Super League Era to play in SL is? (I don't by the way, just interested)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

34 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Here's another point about Harry Newman - he's blooming fantastic and I can't wait to see how he develops as a player.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Why would we limit non EU talent? We won't be in the bloody thing about 6 weeks into next season.

Now if we're talking non UK talent, then I agree. Maybe 1 or 2 per team max and let the championship become more of a breeding ground for talent.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Why would we limit non EU talent? We won't be in the bloody thing about 6 weeks into next season.

Now if we're talking non UK talent, then I agree. Maybe 1 or 2 per team max and let the championship become more of a breeding ground for talent.

Yes I mean non UK or European players . Its good to develop UK talent, and French and Serbians if any are good enough..We don't need more than 4 ANZAC Lads in the 17 in the Championship and a max of 6 in a squad. 6 is a high number I know, however its still lower than many teams have now and a step in the right direction .

On 9/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Shock horror, fevnut has fallen out of love with the Qualifiers having seen his team not qualify for them... 

Coincidence...? 

No. Other than the financial bonus of getting in the top 4, it provided a miserable end of season for part-time Championship teams.

I'm not quite as excited in this year's qualifiers now that Hull KR appear to be almost safe.

In fact I would say that my excitement level is inversely proportional to the number of points they get.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 9/14/2018 at 1:51 PM, zorquif said:

You are not alone. I have had more interest in the Qualifiers than the Top 8 this year. Especially because there is a genuine prospect of upsets

And there lies the problem. SL is dull and boring outside one or two main games. No amount of changes to the structure are going to change that.

1 hour ago, fevnut said:

No. Other than the financial bonus of getting in the top 4, it provided a miserable end of season for part-time Championship teams.

We won't win a game in the 8's but we earnt the right to play in them so I would take a home fixture against Leeds any day of the week before a final in the bottom 8's.

10 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I'm not quite as excited in this year's qualifiers now that Hull KR appear to be almost safe.

In fact I would say that my excitement level is inversely proportional to the number of points they get.

Aww.. Haven't you listened to Adam Pearson he says you can't survive without the income from Hull KR games.

The 'Super 8's' are enthralling though surely? Will your losing margin be 30...40....50....or even another another exciting 80's night!!  How many will your record number of defeats stretch to? Are we in double figures yet? Oh the drama.

Hey I don't blame you at all for being more interested in Rovers fortunes than your own nowadays that is perfectly understandable but ..look I would take no joy from hiding this from you....Rovers have lost just 2 of the last 11 and are unbeaten away for 3 months.

I wish you well in this difficult time.

I like the Qualifiers too.  Its playoff rugby and every game pretty well means something.  I really haven't been that interested in the 8's at all...the Aussie playoff format seems to be much better.  Then some people push these future loop games which to myself, being new to this, just seem like dead end playoff games that mean nothing (a playoff game needs to mean something!)....this is not a way to get new fans excited and interested.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I like the Qualifiers too.  Its playoff rugby and every game pretty well means something.  I really haven't been that interested in the 8's at all...the Aussie playoff format seems to be much better. 

Maybe it's our North American outlook on sport but that's exactly how I see it.

I find the qualifiers more compelling. When you reset the points for all teams, it makes every game so important. 2 games left and still everything to play for.

With the Super 8s, the bottom teams are so far behind to start (at least this year) that they are virtually eliminated before they start. Obviously it wouldn't be fair to reset points for the Super 8s but I think something like the NRL format would be more exciting for fans of all 8 teams and the casual observer. 

Archived